XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader (TCRP)

pocopico

Got DSM 7.0.1 U2 running on a Supermicro X9SCA-F Board. Working good so far. I also added a LSI2008 HBA Card and after adding the extension it's recognized as well. One small hickup though:

Onboard I have 6 SATA Ports + 8 Ports from the HBA card.

I want to use the 8 Ports of the HBA first then use the 6 onboard SATA ports. 

I changed my SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap as follows:

SataPortMap=68

DiskIdxMap=0800

Now my Onboard Sata Ports start at Disk 9 but the HBA Ports still start from Disk 6.

When I lower the SataPortMap to e.g. 48 the HBA Disks start at 5 but I can only use 4 Ports from the onboard controller.

Any idea what's going on or I'm doing wrong? Any help appreciated.

1 hour ago, maxime said:

Quante unità possono utilizzare per impostazione predefinita XPEnology su DS918+? Voglio dire, so che Synology DS918+ ha 4 baie, ma XPEnology può utilizzare più di 4 HDD?

Hi, up to the 104b loader (vers. DSM 6.2.3 up.3) the possible discs to put on a 918+ were 12, now with the DSM 7 I'm not sure but I think it's still like this

• Like 1

Toying around with an ASUS J1900I-C that just arrived at my doorsteps, I found that Tinycore desktop doesn't play nice with the HD Graphics(Gen 7,device id 8086-0F31). Which results in "failed in waitforx" error message after the randomart image. Startx doesn't work at here.

I plugged in a generic GT610(Fermi) and got into TC desktop, however the auto device detection won't find the HD Graphics.(as the current display adapter is from Nvidia) This means the compiled loader won't contain i915 driver. So I took the dGPU out and proceeded with the HD Graphics under TC's text only mode, the script did bring up i915 driver and compiled the loader without problems. (The i915 driver is required in order to have GPU h/w accelerated apps working e.g. VAAPI encoding for Jellyfin, /dev/dri will show up if you have working iGPU driver.)

The DS918+(apollolake) 7.0.1-42218 loader works fine for J1900, even automatically updated to update-2 after installation finished.

Edited by vbz14216
fix errors

5 hours ago, pocopico said:

I dont exactly understand why the upgrade fails to complete. I'm thinking that

A. Since Redpill uses the rd.gz (ramdisk or miniroot) that has the redpill module and some mechanism to load redpill.ko injected into it, if for any reason the update rewrites the rd.gz then you are losing Redpill. If for some reason the Redpill blocks the writing of rd.gz then DSM does not match the rd.gz and this creates an issue. I tend to think that the updates are failing because indeed Redpill blocks writing of rd.gz on synoboot.

B. Kernel image (zImage) is also hacked in order to avoid checksum validation. If the update overwrites zImage then you will fail to boot. Here again i think Redpill protects the overwriting of zImage.

So in other words, there must be a combination of update and recreation of rd.gz at the same time. @buggy25200 Has done the update for 3617 in some way and has explained the process.  You should look after his posts to further understand.

Edit : And here is some more explanation about it :

Edit2 : More reading :

https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-lkm/tree/master/shim

Redpill indeed blocks the execution of several update scripts. 

https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-lkm/blob/master/shim/disable_exectutables.c

Thanks for that.  Also the only other thing I saw that every time you run a build, it ask if you want to download alias json file every time. 

Checking if a newer version exists on the repo -> gzip: modules.alias.3.json already exists; do you wish to overwrite (y or n)? n
    not overwritten
gzip: modules.alias.4.json already exists; do you wish to overwrite (y or n)? n
    not overwritten
Version is current
Also, for some reason it stopped downloading the pat file altogether for DS3617xs and DS3622xs+

#] PAT file /home/tc/redpill-load/cache/ds3617xs_42218.pat not found - downloading from https://cndl.synology.cn/download/DSM/release/7.0.1/42218/DSM_DS3617xs_42218.pat
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:--  0:04:38 --:--:--     0
curl: (28) Failed to connect to cndl.synology.cn port 443: Connection timed out
[#] Verifying /home/tc/redpill-load/cache/ds3617xs_42218.pat file... /usr/local/bin/sha256sum: /home/tc/redpill-load/cache/ds3617xs_42218.pat: No such file or directory
[ERR]
[-] Failed to generate checksum for file

[#] Verifying /home/tc/redpill-load/cache/ds3617xs_42218.pat file... [ERR]
[!] Checksum mismatch - expected d65ee4ed5971e38f6cdab00e1548183435b53ba49a5dca7eaed6f56be939dcd2 but computed 

*** Process will exit ***
FAILED : Loader creation failed check the output for any errors

[#] PAT file /home/tc/redpill-load/cache/ds3617xs_42218.pat not found - downloading from https://cndl.synology.cn/download/DSM/release/7.0.1/42218/DSM_DS3617xs_42218.pat
  0  343M    0 16384    0     0    465      0   8d 23h  0:00:35   8d 23h     0

1 minute ago, Dvalin21 said:

[#] PAT file /home/tc/redpill-load/cache/ds3617xs_42218.pat not found - downloading from https://cndl.synology.cn/download/DSM/release/7.0.1/42218/DSM_DS3617xs_42218.pat
  0  343M    0 16384    0     0    465      0   8d 23h  0:00:35   8d 23h     0

i've also noticed before that the chinese cdn is very slow sometimes.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rafoloru said:

So, I figured out how to set my SataPortMap and my DiskIdxMap... now the DSM install failed à 55%. I think some people had this problem too. What is the way to resolve that?

Not sure if you are using VM or baremetal, but if you haven't switched to the latest update (4.5) then I would encourage you to do so.  This is what done it for me. Also, by experience, I didn't change the satamap etc... and it mapped everything as it should. I got two disk errors, but thats only because two of the disk that i was testing with are bad so it wont allow you to select them. Im assuming apart of the "data safety" feature they included in 7. Just an FYI on that. Im rebooting now to change my user_config.json file back to default. Once you flash your usb to the updated img, make sure to run sudo ./rploader.sh update now to get any updates and then config as normal

I was finally able to get things working after switching to TC v4.5 and moving to the DS3622xs+.  DSM installed, but as others have mentioned I had to force a reboot after the installation completed.  It found my 4 SAS drives that are connected to my RAID controller and was able to create the new volume.  I'll be adding another 4 drives in the near future.  Thanks to everyone that has put the work into this.  So exciting!

Dell PowerEdge T420

Intel Xeon E5-2420v2

64GB RAM

Dell PERC h710 flashed to IT mode

4x 3TB SAS drives

@pocopico

CPU : i3-4160T
M/B : DT-H81DL GAIDA
LAN : RealTek r8111F DUAL
RAID : Dell Perc H310 , IT Mode
LOADER : Tinycore 0.4.5 Native
EXT : r8169, mpt3sas
DSM : DS918+ 7.0.1

HDD : 4x3TB Sata Drives

The results of the extended test with only H310 in ds918+ DSM 7.0.1 showed unfortunate results.

Disable built-in SATA ports and install only one HDD on sataportmap=1, DiskIdxMap=00.
DSM of DS918+ was successfully installed.

After that, I installed three additional sata HDDs and changed sataportmap values from 0 to 9 different ways.

The conclusion is that S.M.A.R.T. information is not fully linked. Only one or two out of four are linked to S.M.A.R.T., and the rest are null in front of the disk name and cannot be linked.

A virtual S/N that starts with V appears in S/N, and once I see this serial, I can use it as a normal volume.

It feels like a situation similar to the S.M.A.R.T issue of the extended driver 0.13.3 version of the mpt3sas.ko driver during the jun loader.
Jun loader had a separate version of extension driver 0.12.1 due to HBA S.M.A.R.T issue.

Edited by Peter Suh

1 hour ago, danellis12561 said:

I was finally able to get things working after switching to TC v4.5 and moving to the DS3622xs+.  DSM installed, but as others have mentioned I had to force a reboot after the installation completed.  It found my 4 SAS drives that are connected to my RAID controller and was able to create the new volume.  I'll be adding another 4 drives in the near future.  Thanks to everyone that has put the work into this.  So exciting!

Dell PowerEdge T420

Intel Xeon E5-2420v2

64GB RAM

Dell PERC h710 flashed to IT mode

4x 3TB SAS drives

Has the built-in SATA Port been disabled?
Can you tell me the sataportmap and diskIdxMap settings?

@pocopico

I succeeded in Tinycore Redfill v0.4.5 and DS3622xs+ H310 !!!!!.
I deactivated the internal Sata port to use only H310.
I erased the SatarPortMap or DiskIdxMap options at all.

DS3622xs+, which was released late last year, seems to be only supported by DSM 7.
And SHR, which I was worried about, is being supported by default.
Instead, transcoding is not supported.
In my case, I don't need transcoding, so I'm considering migration from DS918+ 6.2.3 to DS3622xs+ 7.0.1.

Do you have any plans to apply ext mpt3sas, which was applied first to DS3622xs+, to other models than DS918+?
Thank you for your hard work.

CPU : i3-4160T
M/B : DT-H81DL GAIDA
LAN : RealTek r8111F DUAL
RAID : Dell Perc H310 , IT Mode
LOADER : Tinycore Redpill 0.4.5 Native
EXT : r8169, mpt3sas
DSM : DS3622xs+ 7.0.1

HDD : 4ea Sata Drives

스크린샷 2022-02-18 오후 7.37.39.png

스크린샷 2022-02-18 오후 7.48.26.png

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

Do you have any plans to apply ext mpt3sas, which was applied first to DS3622xs+, to other models than DS918+?
Thank you for your hard work.

For bromolow (DS3615xS), mpt3sas has been recompiled with the latest available 3.x sources and the extension is updated.

For broadwell (DS3617xs), mpt3as has  been recompiled with the latest available 4.x source and the extension is updated.

I try to be consistent for most of the extensions and have available all extensions for all platforms, but unfortunatelly not all compile without code patching. And if you patch the module code then you have to make sure this does not affect the system stability. 

If you are interested on a particular extension you can request it opening an issue on GH.

1 hour ago, pocopico said:

For bromolow (DS3615xS), mpt3sas has been recompiled with the latest available 3.x sources and the extension is updated.

For broadwell (DS3617xs), mpt3as has  been recompiled with the latest available 4.x source and the extension is updated.

I try to be consistent for most of the extensions and have available all extensions for all platforms, but unfortunatelly not all compile without code patching. And if you patch the module code then you have to make sure this does not affect the system stability. 

If you are interested on a particular extension you can request it opening an issue on GH.

@pocopico

I will further review whether the mpt3sas of ds918+ is necessary and request it to Github's issue.

However, ds3622xs+ cannot be terminated or rebooted not only during DSM installation but also during normal times.
The sudo reboot or sudo poweroff command is also unavailable.
You know that, right?