XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader (TCRP)

pocopico

18 hours ago, gazzac72 said:

Hi all needing some help i know others have had this issue and i have tried some its to do with sata i tried auto setup sata and i still get the no harddrives message when at loading page also tried sata 1 and 00 but still the same i have barebones pc i5 4460 3.2ghz and a gigabyte h81m-ds2v motherboard running 32gb ddr3 ram i installed ds615 on my friends i7 pc and doing command sudo ./rploader.sh satamap now worked right out the box even though i set it to 24 drives it only shows 12 was going to put ds617xs on it but wouldnt work it just keeped saying not installed even after installing and rebooting still the same but for some reason i cannot get anything to load up on my i5 any help would be great please im stuck on what to do next thankyou

@pocopicoany idea what might be my issue please

16 hours ago, CaCO3 said:

Hi all

I tried to get it working with Virtual Box (without an USB drive), mainly orienting on https://xpenology.club/install-dsm-7-on-baremetal-or-vm/. I seem to be able to configure it correctly with the scripts. When I reboot my virtual machine, I see 2 new entries in grub, one for USB, one for SATA.
But which ever I boot, it gets stuck on "Booting the kernel.".

Has anybody a tip for me?

Stopping at "booting the kernel" is normal.  Use find.synology.com to discover the VM on your network.  If additional troubleshooting is needed you will need to setup a serial interface with the VM to check the boot process.

1 hour ago, pocopico said:

It might be an extension failing to load ... 

when i run listmods this is the result that it says i need.

It looks that you will need the following modules :

Found VGA Controller : pciid 8086d00000412  Required Extension : i915
Searching for matching extension for i915
Found SATA Controller : pciid 8086d00008c02  Required Extension : ahci
Searching for matching extension for ahci
Found VGA Controller : pciid 10ded00000f01  Required Extension :
No matching extension
./rploader.sh: line 1061: ./redpill-load/ext-manager.sh: No such file or directory
Found Ethernet Interface : pciid 10ecd00008168 Required Extension : r8169
Searching for matching extension for r8169
Found matching extension :
"https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/master/r8169/rpext-index.json"

11 minutes ago, Black6spdZ said:

non ero sicuro di dove chiederlo, ma ci sono prestazioni sostanziali sotto il cofano di DSM7 rispetto al vecchio 6.2.3? Sto pensando di migrare ma voglio assicurarmi che sia più di un semplice rinnovamento della GUI

It depends on what you use it for; if you use it for tweaking, rehearsing, etc. etc. yes, if you use it for the services that the DSM gives every day and / or for work like me then no (this is my opinion); there are several things that do not work especially at the user level (it is not recognized, in my opinion the new login method makes a mess), migration made yesterday, I'm already seeing how to go back ... I have to retransfer 6 / 7Tb of data and work on it for a week .... !!!!! 🙈🙈 I wait a few days to see if maybe an update comes out that I try to shoot it in to see what happens otherwise I will have to do it, as it is I don't need that much 😀😀

3 minutes ago, PincoPalla said:

It depends on what you use it for; if you use it for tweaking, rehearsing, etc. etc. yes, if you use it for the services that the DSM gives every day and / or for work like me then no (this is my opinion); there are several things that do not work especially at the user level (it is not recognized, in my opinion the new login method makes a mess), migration made yesterday, I'm already seeing how to go back ... I have to retransfer 6 / 7Tb of data and work on it for a week .... !!!!! 🙈🙈 I wait a few days to see if maybe an update comes out that I try to shoot it in to see what happens otherwise I will have to do it, as it is I don't need that much 😀😀

Thanks for the info.. I was kind of hoping maybe we'd finally see SMB multichannel or BTRFS dedupe or other good stuff.. looks to me synology is just trying to make a desktop OS out of what should be primarily a NAS for storage and the management, protection and transfer of data

1 minute ago, Black6spdZ said:

Thanks for the info.. I was kind of hoping maybe we'd finally see SMB multichannel or BTRFS dedupe or other good stuff.. looks to me synology is just trying to make a desktop OS out of what should be primarily a NAS for storage and the management, protection and transfer of data

I forgot to write that I did the migration with a downloaded Redpill image (I am not able to build it) for 918+ I don't know if many problems depend on this

1 minute ago, PincoPalla said:

I forgot to write that I did the migration with a downloaded Redpill image (I am not able to build it) for 918+ I don't know if many problems depend on this

what kind of problems are you seeing? I'm using 918+ and was planning on keeping it 918. I wish there was a tiered storage option.. I think QNAP can do this

On 1/23/2022 at 10:45 AM, synoxpe said:

Thanks for trying to help out.

So the user_config now looks like:

{
  "extra_cmdline": {
    "pid": "0x5581",
    "vid": "0x0781",
    "sn": "1330LWN008584",
    "mac1": "001132450C15",
    "sata_remap": "0>2:2>0",
    "SataPortMap": "3",    
    "DiskIdxMap": "00"     
  },                       
  "synoinfo": {

"internalportcfg" : "0xffff",
          "maxdisks" : "16"            

},
  "ramdisk_copy": {

}

}

This addition however reduces the GRUB menu to only one option: "Tiny Core Image Build". The RedPill boot entries from USB or SATA are gone.

The syntax of sata_remap is wrong.

Look at my user_config:

{
    "vid": "0x0951",
    "pid": "0x1603",
    "sn": "XXXXXXXXX",
    "mac1": "XXXXXXX",
    "mac2": "XXXXXXX",
    "netif_num": "2",
    "sata_remap": "24\\>2:25\\>3:26\\>10:27\\>11:28\\>12:29\\>13"
  },
    "maxdisks": "24",
    "esataportcfg": "0x0000",
    "usbportcfg": "0x0000",
    "internalportcfg": "0xffffff"
  },
  "extensions": [
    "jumkey.acpid2"
  ]
}

And it's working fine with 24 HDDs from 1 to 24 ordered.

• Like 2

2 ore fa, Black6spdZ ha dichiarato:

che tipo di problemi vedi? Sto usando 918+ e stavo pianificando di mantenerlo 918. Vorrei che ci fosse un'opzione di archiviazione a più livelli. Penso che QNAP possa farlo

Si si 918+ ovviamente non capisco perchè tutti vogliono installare 3617 ho problemi ad accedere alle cartelle via SMB con il mio account (o altri, da pc con win10 non li riconosce) tutta la parte dei gruppi utenti è sfocata per quanto riguarda la lettura, (questo è il problema più grande), le memorie NVME non le vedono e non c'è patch come per 6.2.3 (io uso molta verticalizzazione e con quelle è molto più veloce) per il resto si la grafica è più aggiornato molti vogliono che installi foto per via del riconoscimento facciale e altro ma per me è una stronzata lo so che non funziona bene anche in quelli originali !!! Anche fare la migrazione una volta che hai il caricatore è abbastanza facile e veloce 1/2 giornata ... !!! ma penso che riformatterò tutto e tornerò indietro ho sempre un backup anche se ci vorranno giorni di lavoro

If you are interested it seems that in the german section of xpenology there is the possibility to install the qnap, I tried via vw but I didn't succeed I have a few linux bases

Edited by PincoPalla

7 hours ago, pocopico said:

So the list of loaded modules you provided are from a 6.2.3 and that makes sense. Jun's approach was different to TTG. Extra.lzma included a banch of modules loaded whether you needed them or not. With RP, TTG decided to take a different path and only load the modules that are required. 

megaraid_sas as you see from the list you've sent has no dependencies and has 9 devices that are using it. 

Gotcha, so for the other modules, like mptbase which depends on mptctl,mptsas,mptspi,mptscsih and megaraid_mm which needs megaraid_mbox, wouldn't I need these modules for everything to run properly with DSM 7? Some of these can be added from your ext like mptspi, mptsas (not sure if its the same as mptbase), however, I know that when I've tried to include mptsas and megaraid_sas, that dont seem to play well together. Ill try it again today to be sure and let you know. 

39 minutes ago, Kaneske said:

Can you explain it’s functioning in detail please? This is for me the 1st time I saw such a code that seems to arrange the Ports correctly.

I think you’re on Baremetal, right?

@ikky_phoenix

Hi @Kaneske, i can point to you the topics i have read to archive my goal.

Start here:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/14224-tutorial-fix-skipped-hdd-numbers/

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9412-max-10-drives-in-dsm-61/

With Jun's loader the sata_remap command works this way*:

append sata_remap=5>3:6>4

*grub direct edit

But in RedPill, thetorgroup wrote this:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/45795-redpill-the-new-loader-for-624-discussion/page/101/?tab=comments#comment-219467

Look for sata_remap in this post, took me a while to understand because i didn't pay attention when i read it for the first time (as a friend pointed out).

So, if you put in grub command line to test, it will look like this:

sata_remap="24\>2:25\>3:26\>10:27\>11:28\>12:29\>13"

But in json file you need the double \\ as thetorgroup wrote mounths ago.

And yes, it's baremetal

Edited by ikky_phoenix
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ikky_phoenix said:

The syntax of sata_remap is wrong.

Look at my user_config:

{
    "vid": "0x0951",
    "pid": "0x1603",
    "sn": "XXXXXXXXX",
    "mac1": "XXXXXXX",
    "mac2": "XXXXXXX",
    "netif_num": "2",
  },
    "maxdisks": "24",
    "esataportcfg": "0x0000",
    "usbportcfg": "0x0000",
    "internalportcfg": "0xffffff"
  },
  "extensions": [
    "jumkey.acpid2"
  ]
}

And it's working fine with 24 HDDs from 1 to 24 ordered.

I notice at the bottom you specified a specific extension, can you explain that a little?  Whats the benefit or would it be better to do this? Thanks

hi. first of all thanks @pocopico for this great tool.
finally i managed to create a uefi bootable flash drive. the steps are very easy but it took me about the whole day to figure out.

after writing redpill tc loader image to your flash drive, you need a linux machine to add the uefi boot.

in my case, i have a notebook with linux mint installed (latest edge edition).
assuming that my flash drive was /dev/sdb, this is what i've done:

1. Mount the filesystem:
    sudo mount -o umask=000 /dev/sdb1 /mnt
  2. Write the MBR and install the grub files required for legacy BIOS boot on the drive:   (i don't know if this step is really needed but anyway it works)
    sudo grub-install --no-floppy --boot-directory=/mnt/boot --target=i386-pc /dev/sdb
  3. Install /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI and other grub files required to load grub from a 64-bit UEFI firmware:
    sudo grub-install --removable --boot-directory=/mnt/boot --efi-directory=/mnt --target=x86_64-efi /dev/sdb
  4. Unmount the filesystem:
    sudo umount /dev/sdb1

after that, remove the flash drive and try it. for me, it worked at first try. no need to edit any other file.

credits go to https://github.com/ndeineko/grub2-bios-uefi-usb for this helpful page without which I would never have succeeded.

Edited by cris_t
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

@pocopico Just as a heads up, ext bnx2x, igb, and megaraid_sas comes back with a 404 Not Found error when trying to pull them in to the build. Also when trying to build ds3617xs, downloading from cndl.synology.cn after a certain time seems to be impossible. The connection is always dead after a certain hour. And then the software won't allow you to finish if you can't download it. 

Edited by Dvalin21

9 hours ago, ikky_phoenix said:

Thanks for sharing. Help me please with the logic (newbie alert!). I see 24, 25 mapped  to 2,3 and 26~29 to 10~13. What about the other drives?

Say I've 6 drives. How to construct the mapping?

15 minutes ago, synoxpe said:

Thanks for sharing. Help me please with the logic (newbie alert!). I see 24, 25 mapped  to 2,3 and 26~29 to 10~13. What about the other drives?

Say I've 6 drives. How to construct the mapping?

The other drives are just in the right place. It is just to make sure that drives are following up and you don’t have any gaps between your harddrive connected to different controllers. This was done in older versions also but syntax is different now. So you can see and read more in following link.

6 hours ago, cris_t said:

it worked at first try. no need to edit any other file.

Great post and thanks a lot for sharing! The boot option "Tiny Core Image Build" is now coming up with UEFI but when I select it, it fails with error message: "error: you need to load the kernel first".

8 minutes ago, Unregistrado said:

The other drives are just in the right place. It is just to make sure that drives are following up and you don’t have any gaps between your harddrive connected to different controllers. This was done in older versions also but syntax is different now. So you can see and read more in following link.

Thanks for the link. That explains it. But I guess in my case I won't need sata_remap to start with as I was trying with just two drives.