XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader (TCRP)

pocopico

@pocopico Using the tinycore-redpill.v0.4.4.img from github I was able to successfully build a bootable USB stick for DS918+ and install 7.0.1-42218 then upgrade to 7.0.1-42218 Update 2 without any issues.

Test/spare hardware details:

Motherboard: ASRock IMB-181-L

CPU: i5-4590T

Memory: 12GB DDR3

Hard Drives: 2 x WD30EFRX-68N32N0

A Mini PCI-E PCI Express to SATA 3.0 Dual Ports Adapter was used in the mSATA port on the IMB-181-L with both WD30EFRX-68N32N0 drives connected to the added SATA ports to test/confirm that drives attached to the Mini PCI-E PCI Express to SATA 3.0 Dual Ports Adapter SATA ports would be recognized by DSM.

Both drives were recognized by DSM without any issues and a Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR) (With data protection for 1-drive fault tolerance) storage pool was successfully created.

My current non-test/in-use system details are:

Motherboard: Jetway NF9J-Q87

CPU: i3-4130T

Memory: 16GB DDR3

Hard Drives: 4 x HUS728T8TALE6L4 (RAID type is Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR) (With data protection for 2-drive fault tolerance))

USB Boot Drive: Sandisk 32GB USB stick with Jun's loader 1.04

DSM Version: 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 for DS918+

The i5-4590T and Mini PCI-E PCI Express to SATA 3.0 Dual Ports Adapter are planned to be migrated to the Jetway NF9J-Q87 as part of the upgrade.

What would the upgrade path be with tinycore-redpill.v0.4.4 from an existing install of DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 to DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 2?

I am guessing these would be the high-level steps?

1. Backup all data to external USB drives from 4 x HUS728T8TALE6L4 storage pool.

2. Create new bootable USB stick with tinycore-redpill.v0.4.4.img

3. Boot and configure tinycore-redpill.v0.4.4 USB stick on Jetway NF9J-Q87

4. Boot configured tinycore-redpill.v0.4.4 USB stick on Jetway NF9J-Q87

5. Upgrade DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 to DSM 7.0.1-42218

6. Upgrade DSM 7.0.1-42218 to DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 2 via DSM web UI

I am guessing that step 5 will be a prompt to supply the PAT file similar to performing a new install?

Please let me know if I missed anything and your efforts to build/support tinycore are impressive/appreciated.

Edited by cpresco
  • Like 1

@pocopico When having to add an extension (when trying to build for bromolow 7) I always get an error from runtime.sh dpkg error which causes it to stop before pulling in the module. And when I run the "build" I get this error although the build doesnt stop "include/runtime.sh: line 29: system_tools: *[dpkg]="dpkg --version": must use subscript when assigning associative array"  I didnt know if you was aware of this or not so I wanted to go ahead and share. Thanks in advance for the help.

@pocopico Also this. I just noticed when I start a build, it throws an error "jq: error (at <stdin>:1) Cannot iterate over null (null)"

Not sure how much of an issue this could be. It doesn't stop the build, it's literally the first two lines(it comes up twice) of code before going to "Load Source"

I get this when adding extension 

tc@box:~$ sudo ./rploader.sh ext broadwell-7.0.1-42218 add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rp-ext/master/megaraid_sas/rpext-index.json
jq: error (at <stdin>:1): Cannot iterate over null (null)
Loader source : https://github.com/jimmyGALLAND/redpill-load.git Loader Branch : develop 
Redpill module source : https://github.com/jimmyGALLAND/redpill-lkm.git : Redpill module branch : develop 
Extensions :  
Extensions URL : 
TOOLKIT_URL : https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/toolkit/DSM7.0/ds.broadwell-7.0.dev.txz/download
TOOLKIT_SHA : e050987fbbab0c246aff2af935b1d8a4140ce490915aa4c92f3c8d163eea970c
SYNOKERNEL_URL : https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/Synology NAS GPL Source/25426branch/broadwell-source/linux-3.10.x.txz/download
SYNOKERNEL_SHA : d3e85eb80f16a83244fcae6016ab6783cd8ac55e3af2b4240455261396e1e1be
COMPILE_METHOD : toolkit_dev
TARGET_PLATFORM       : broadwell
TARGET_VERSION    : 7.0.1
TARGET_REVISION : 42218
REDPILL_LKM_MAKE_TARGET : dev-v7
Checking Internet Access -> OK
Redpill sources already downloaded, pulling latest
Already up to date.
Loader sources already downloaded, pulling latest
Already up to date.
[#] Checking runtime for required tools... 
[-] Couldn't find dpkg in your $PATH
[#] Checking runtime for required tools... [ERR]
[!] Some tools weren't available - install them first

*** Process will exit ***
The only way of getting around it is commenting out dpkg in runtime.sh which Im starting to think its becoming a issue.

Edited by Dvalin21

Damn! @pocopico you´re the Master!!!

It worked and now I´m migrated to 7.0.1-2 without issues...

GREAT! Thank you.

LSI2008 HBA works with mpt2sas extension, X540-T2 OoB...

VmWare ESXI 7.0:

3.x VM without a virtual NIC, passthrough Devices: 2x Falcon 2008 HBA, 1 Port of the X540 NIC

Just TinyCore as converted Virtual Disk (Convert the vmdk from TinyCore with ESXI via SSH): klick

Add RAM as you like, add CPUs at you like...boot in BIOS Mode the vmdk attached to SATA 0:0

voila!

Anybody knows a working or how to get woking open-vm-tools?

Hmmm. One of my Disks is missing...may SataPortMap???

Anybody can tell me how to do this?

@haydibeeventually?

TinyCore says:

Machine is VIRTUAL Hypervisor=VMware

Running on VMware, Possible working solution, SataPortMap=1 DiskIdxMap=00

Edited by Kaneske

Kaneske,

I changed them to sataportmap = 1 and diskidxmap = 00. Then the first harddrive starts on 2. But because you have two controllers I think you need two digits for sataportmap and 4 digits for diskidxmap.

it says because I run it in Esxi that I need to choose sataportmap = 1 and diskidxmap =00. 

Edited by Unregistrado

2 hours ago, Dvalin21 said:

@pocopico Also this. I just noticed when I start a build, it throws an error "jq: error (at <stdin>:1) Cannot iterate over null (null)"

Not sure how much of an issue this could be. It doesn't stop the build, it's literally the first two lines(it comes up twice) of code before going to "Load Source"

I get this when adding extension 

tc@box:~$ sudo ./rploader.sh ext broadwell-7.0.1-42218 add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rp-ext/master/megaraid_sas/rpext-index.json
Loader source : https://github.com/jimmyGALLAND/redpill-load.git Loader Branch : develop 
Redpill module source : https://github.com/jimmyGALLAND/redpill-lkm.git : Redpill module branch : develop 
Extensions :  
Extensions URL : 
TOOLKIT_URL : https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/toolkit/DSM7.0/ds.broadwell-7.0.dev.txz/download
TOOLKIT_SHA : e050987fbbab0c246aff2af935b1d8a4140ce490915aa4c92f3c8d163eea970c
SYNOKERNEL_URL : https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/Synology NAS GPL Source/25426branch/broadwell-source/linux-3.10.x.txz/download
SYNOKERNEL_SHA : d3e85eb80f16a83244fcae6016ab6783cd8ac55e3af2b4240455261396e1e1be
COMPILE_METHOD : toolkit_dev
TARGET_PLATFORM       : broadwell
TARGET_VERSION    : 7.0.1
TARGET_REVISION : 42218
REDPILL_LKM_MAKE_TARGET : dev-v7
Checking Internet Access -> OK
Redpill sources already downloaded, pulling latest
Already up to date.
Loader sources already downloaded, pulling latest
Already up to date.
[#] Checking runtime for required tools... 
[-] Couldn't find dpkg in your $PATH
[#] Checking runtime for required tools... [ERR]
[!] Some tools weren't available - install them first

*** Process will exit ***
The only way of getting around it is commenting out dpkg in runtime.sh which Im starting to think its becoming a issue.

@pocopico By the way I also corrected the link I was getting the ext from.  Either way I still get the same error if i dont commit out the dpkg

Edited by Dvalin21

40 minutes ago, Dvalin21 said:

@pocopico By the way I also corrected the link I was getting the ext from.  Either way I still get the same error if i dont commit out the dpkg

Thanks for the feedback. 

I have opened a pull request for the DS3617xs dpkg issue and i'm waiting for @buggy25200 to accept. 

As for the other issues, i will have a look at these as well. 

Edited by pocopico
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys, i'm trying to install xpenology dsm3615xs on my baremetal. Finally i have a dsm error about disks 3,4 and sata port disabled.

My lsscsi -Hv output 6 hosts (from host0 to host5) on the same pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2

My user_config.json has SataPortMap:6 and DiskIdxMap:00 (these values are autoapplied by the script).

My sata hardware is an Intel82801IBM/IEM (ICH9M/ICH9M-E) 4 port SATA Controller (AHCI mode)

I have only 3 phisical sata ports on my motherboards and right now i have only 1 disk connected

Did you think that my problem can be resolved somehow? maybe related to my SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap?

Just now, Pa0l0ne said:

Hi guys, i'm trying to install xpenology dsm3615xs on my baremetal. Finally i have a dsm error about disks 3,4 and sata port disabled.

My lsscsi -Hv output 6 hosts (from host0 to host5) on the same pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2

My user_config.json has SataPortMap:6 and DiskIdxMap:00 (these values are autoapplied by the script).

My sata hardware is an Intel82801IBM/IEM (ICH9M/ICH9M-E) 4 port SATA Controller (AHCI mode)

I have only 3 phisical sata ports on my motherboards and right now i have only 1 disk connected

Did you think that my problem can be resolved somehow? maybe related to my SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap?

Can you try with SataPortMap=1 and DiskIdxMap=00 ?

Hello everyone 😁,

I see this magnificent charger taking shape and wonder if I'm not going to take the plunge slowly.  I'm just wondering about the kernel panic problem that came up in October with the use of Docker?  Has this problem been solved?  Or was it hidden by disabling the watchdog?  In the same subject, have the problems during the global search also causing a kernel panic been rectified?

More generally, I use an asrock c2550d4i card with 12 sata: 6 (4sata3 - 2sata2) managed by the SoC (Atom), 2 by a marvel se9172 and 4 by a Marvel se9230: do you think the necessary drivers are there  integrated?  Regarding the sataportmap, should I consider the first 6 for an array or differentiate the two?

The network is managed by two Intel i210, will they be recognized?

Currently everything is running like a charm with Jun's loader running 6.2.3 U2, has anyone ever tried a migration with this hardware?

I will make a backup of sensitive files, but I do not have the capacity to save everything.

Any feedback will please me.

See you soon 😌🤞

Sorry for english

40 minutes ago, pocopico said:

SataPortMap=188 and DiskIdxMap=0A0008 ?

Sorry, i'm a total noob. It finally worked with SataPortMap=1. My fault was that i initial don't understanded that after the changes i have to recompile.....

Now i have to discover if with this change the other two my phisical sata port will be fully functional or not adding other disks...

Hi all 

I have been a user of xpenology for years. I have 6.2 running in esxi 7U1 with 10g network cards sata controllers and graphics card passed through to DSM. I am trying to give redpill a test. My first attempt was to setup the vm as linux other 64 bit. I was able to install the tinycore vmdk and it looked like it compiled fine. IT was then that i noticed that it was configured as an ide drive. I blew that version away. I created another VM at linux 4 64bit and created a sata drive with the tinycore  vmdk , but it refused to boot with the error.  Failed to power on virtual machine redpill. Unsupported or invalid disk type 2 for 'sata0:0'. Ensure that the disk has been imported. Click here for more details. - dismiss Does anyone have a good recommended setting for esxi 7 to attempt a setup? Thank you in advance.

As of today, the DS3617xs can no longer be installed. After the installation of the DS3617xs pat file, the computer reboots but then has the status recoverable. The creation of the loader went through without problems and error message (dpkg error came none) Yesterday everything worked perfectly on the same device! Can anyone confirm?

I have been happy to early…

@pocopico

Unfortunately my Install broke after playing with SATAportMap and DiskIdMap.

Resetted all drives and was able to get to 6.2.3 again…as before.

But installing 7.0.1 the same way isn’t possible, I can do what I want and tried everything to get my NAS recognized by find.syno…

…but it is not seen.

Compiled the TinyCore from scratch with ext add bromolow-7.0.1-42218 mpt2sas (link) and it’s been added.

Hmmm…what to do now?

the Build Command gets a lot of extensions by itself (mpt3sas for example)…can I exclude that? Maybe there’s a panic when mpt3 loads?