XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader (TCRP)

pocopico

Redpill tinycore loader is awesome. Last time I wasted almost week of my life to run DSM on HP T620. 

With this tool it took me around 15 minutes. However i found and issue I can not solve. When I reset device it will not boot up

when my USB drives are connected.  All i can see is "You need to load the kernel first"

Any ideas>

Best regards and sorry for my English 🙈

2 hours ago, g4sho said:

@pocopico This picture shows error received for broadcom 10gbe nic on tinypill 3615xs seems to be a firmware issue.

20220117_023507[1].jpg

Yes, once you have your DSM installed, you can perform the following : 

- Download the required modules and their dependencies in DSM : /lib/modules directory

- ln -s /bin/kmod /sbin/modinfo

- ln -s /bin/kmod /sbin/depmod

- Copy firmware files in /lib/firmware/bnx2x

- depmod -a 

Edited by pocopico
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Franks4fingers said:

Anyone seen this issue before since migrating to DSM7 and any guidance on what I can try to do to resolve it?

image.thumb.png.a8273d46d1d44dac5e82361ad7212411.png

Hi, 

system partitions are RAID1 arrays accross every configured disk of your DSM.  They are always /dev/md0 and /dev/md1 and consist always of partitions 1 and 2 of the disks e.g. 

/dev/sdd1          2048   4982527   4980480   2.4G fd Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sdd2       4982528   9176831   4194304     2G fd Linux raid autodetect

partition 1 is the root file system and partition 2 is the swap partition.

You can verify its status by running :

mdadm --detail /dev/md0

mdadm --detail /dev/md1

It happens that the array is missing some of your disks partitions and then it reports that the System partition is failed on some disks. You should check the sizes for your partitions and if the match the above then you can add them to the system array and/or swap array by executing

mdadm /dev/md0 add </dev/your disk partition1> or mdadm /dev/md1 add </dev/your disk partition2>

7 hours ago, g4sho said:

@Dvalin21@pocopico I am going to post what I saw so that @pocopicocan determine the root cause to two errors that show up when booting 3617xs. one is it finding a different vid:pid than what I put in and it expected. And a problem with the drivers for my broadcom nics it shows a driver error

20220116_213531.jpg

20220116_213546.jpg

Yes, that is true, if an extension fails to load correctly it exits with error code 99 which is then misinterpreted as an exit code 99 for DSM init and fails back to install mode.

I have updated the 3617xs, bnx2x extension to satisfy the missing symbols. Please retry. 

As for the VID:PID error, i need to dig into redpill code.

@g4sho As for the USBSHIM error, as you can see below comes from the fact that you have used a different device VID:PID that the one you are booting from.

else if (device->descriptor.idVendor != boot_media->vid || device->descriptor.idProduct != boot_media->pid) {

https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-lkm/blob/master/shim/boot_dev/usb_boot_shim.c

Edited by pocopico
found the reason for didn't match expected
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pocopico said:

Yes, that is true, if an extension fails to load correctly it exits with error code 99 which is then misinterpreted as an exit code 99 for DSM init and fails back to install mode.

I have updated the 3617xs, bnx2x extension to satisfy the missing symbols. Please retry. 

@pocopico sounds good!

1 hour ago, pocopico said:

Yes, once you have your DSM installed, you can perform the following : 

- Download the required modules and their dependencies in DSM : /lib/modules directory

- ln -s /sbin/kmod /sbin/modinfo

- ln -s /sbin/kmod /sbin/depmod

- Copy firmware files in /lib/firmware/bnx2x

- depmod -a 

@pocopicoI am having problem with depmod -a. It says command not found when I try to execute. I am running as root, and I see it in the sbin directory. Is that just a symbolic link or what am I missing here. Thanks

5 minutes ago, g4sho said:

@pocopicoI am having problem with depmod -a. It says command not found when I try to execute. I am running as root, and I see it in the sbin directory. Is that just a symbolic link or what am I missing here. Thanks

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Dec 22 17:10 /sbin/rmmod -> /bin/kmod
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Dec 22 17:10 /sbin/lsmod -> /bin/kmod
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Dec 22 17:10 /sbin/insmod -> /bin/kmod
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Dec 22 20:31 /sbin/depmod -> /bin/kmod

All mod related cmds are symbolic links to /bin/kmod. Fixed the typo

Edited by pocopico
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pocopico said:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Dec 22 17:10 /sbin/rmmod -> /bin/kmod
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Dec 22 17:10 /sbin/lsmod -> /bin/kmod
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Dec 22 17:10 /sbin/insmod -> /bin/kmod
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Dec 22 20:31 /sbin/depmod -> /bin/kmod

All mod related cmds are symbolic links to /bin/kmod. Fixed the typo

@pocopicoGot'em :] All nics working on tinypill 3615xs now to continue work on 3617xs.

1 hour ago, calvinz360 said:

i've been trying it on a fresh VM installation on ESXi7 , but it has been failing on the part where its suppose to install the .pat file and it ends up stating that the file has been corrupted. Anyone has been through it ?

I have tried with 7.0.1 and 6.2.4 with the same results

Do you select SATA boot at GRUB ? 

3 hours ago, pocopico said:

@g4sho As for the USBSHIM error, as you can see below comes from the fact that you have used a different device VID:PID that the one you are booting from.

https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-lkm/blob/master/shim/boot_dev/usb_boot_shim.c

@pocopico Yes, the problem with that is ffff:5678 is the correct usb id. It is also the vid:pid that was entered in by indentifyusb now. I have also put it in config_json by hand. And if you look closely at the picture I posted earlier, you will see the logic comparing that id to several different vid:pid combinations that it is pulling from some where. I will provide more evidence to help you decipher issue. Also,  there still is no network connection for 3617xs. Looking into the lib\modules\directory neither tg3.ko or bnx2x.ko are listed. And neither show up with lsmod.

20220117_090201.jpg

20220117_090517.jpg

20220117_091225.jpg

20220117_091316.jpg

46 minutes ago, g4sho said:

@pocopico Yes, the problem with that is ffff:5678 is the correct usb id. It is also the vid:pid that was entered in by indentifyusb now. I have also put it in config_json by hand. And if you look closely at the picture I posted earlier, you will see the logic comparing that id to several different vid:pid combinations that it is pulling from some where. I will provide more evidence to help you decipher issue. Also,  there still is no network connection for 3617xs. Looking into the lib\modules\directory neither tg3.ko or bnx2x.ko are listed. And neither show up with lsmod.

Can you please post an lsusb from tinycore ?

7 hours ago, Franks4fingers said:

I have upgraded today and am now running Apollolake 7.0.1-42218. I have got Plex MS up and running and have repaired other packages that needed it. Python fails to update but I believe Python is an issue anyway in DSM7.

One thing that has happened is that I have lost the ability to connect to Sonarr, Radarr or NZBGet which I run via Docker.

(EDIT - I actually see these packages are available via the SynoCommunity repo so would I be better off just to stop the Docker containers and instead install the packages from SC?  I used to them ages ago but they weren't being regularyl updated which is why I decided to give Docker a go)

Has anyone else got these apps running in DSM7 and did you need to do anything specific for them post migration from 6.2.*

Great work pocopico as well, its a pretty seamless migration path when you get your head around it. Well done.

It may be the volume mapping.

On my install (broadwell 7.0.1-xxxxx) (i'm still testing everything for now) I was able to download the images from the registry and import the container settings from my previous 6.2 install.  All looks to be working fine.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kaneske said:

Since my HBA won’t work with any Driver…

Dies anybody know a working HBA (8 Port in IT Mode)??? And how to use it?

For 7.0.1 and RedPill meant to use…

Did you try megaraid_sas extension? If I remember correctly from the last post you made, our cards the same which I have used megaraid_sas and it seems to work.

Edited by Dvalin21

7 hours ago, pocopico said:

When you make updates, can we just run the sudo ./rploader.sh update now or do we need redownload the image and flash it usb?

16 minutes ago, Kaneske said:

@Dvalin21

will attach file…

@Dvalin21 @KaneskeLooks like your drive is at pci address 0000:10.00.0 using driver mptspi, which I am not sure is the only thing you need lsmod should show at least mptsas base I would think and maybe mptsas2 if it is a sas controller, maybe megaraid devices use different drivers.

Edited by g4sho

40 minutes ago, g4sho said:

@Dvalin21 @KaneskeLooks like your drive is at pci address 0000:10.00.0 using driver mptspi, which I am not sure is the only thing you need lsmod should show at least mptsas base I would think and maybe mptsas2 if it is a sas controller, maybe megaraid devices use different drivers.

The only one that worked for me is the megaraid. mptsas-3 didnt work for me.  Now with the pci address, would that be used to figure out diskid?  As far as sata there's 8.  I went ahead and tried to lspci -vvv to see if there was some additional info.  where did you see the pci address?

lspci -vvv

Edited by Dvalin21