XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 - need HEIC Support

dan0ne

Question

Hello there,

thanks for the good work here, but now i need a bit help. 

I have installed my xpenology on a Intel NUC with INTEL Celeron J3455 (Jun Loader), wich works great as an original DS918+

For myself i have a real DS918+ and i know "Moments" and its features. 

The Idea was to create a similar sheep system for my dad, where i can support him with some settings. 

For now there is internal a 1TB SSD and external a USB3.0 4TB HDD

Everything works like thought, but know we have setup Moments for his iPhone 11 Photo backup. 

The App uploaded his photos normally like on my other system, but when the job is done i doesn't notice that DSM converted the HEIC or MOV files like my other System. The thumbnails in this format are all grey, and you can not open that files on DSM. If you Download them, they are all OK

I look a bit around and find out that you need the Package "Advanced Media Extensions":

1268224586_Bildschirmfoto2021-12-28um03_15_44.thumb.png.35c8452037e7f8ac44dded9716e4d7d0.png

Source: https://www.synology.com/en-global/releaseNote/CodecPack

The Question, is there

A. a way to Update my DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 to DSM 6.2.4? (...but i know the answer: there is no way to Update at this Moment... )

B. a way to install this Package " https://global.download.synology.com/download/Package/spk/CodecPack/1.0.0-0015/CodecPack-x86_64-1.0.0-0015.spk " manually by Terminal without update the DSM? (i try it in the PackageCenter without success because i need a higher DSM version)

My Dad is a bit frustrated about this Problem because, he was really looking forward to this feature. It was my Christmas gift for him and now the best announced feature doesn't work 😔

Ok, the rest backup parts are working fine but only this little feature i haven't test before. 

Can anybody help us? Please 🙏  

3 answers to this question

https://github.com/likeadoc/synocodectool-patch

this works for me now ;)

without playing Live Photos but that is ok for now :)

(for those who have the same problem)

1. patch your dsm with synocodectool-patch (press "1" by asking and hit Enter ;) )

2. Stop your Moments in DSM PackageCenter

3. Start your Moments in DSM PackageCenter

4. Open Moments in DSM

5. Klick on your Account and "Settings"

6. Klick on "General" tab

7. Klick on "re-index all

Wait about 5min and you see in DSM the following: 

1342196045_Bildschirmfoto2021-12-28um04_43_43.thumb.png.dcea462ccc2b05acdb7673bb6f7703d0.png

When you have a look in Moments, you see some working HEIC Pictures... :)

Hope that the "MOV" files are now running *cross fingers*

Edited by dan0ne

Don't know about HEIC (noone uses this format) but haven't seen HEVC playback in web browser, or DS Video Windows app.

You might be lucky for 1 item, but there's a complete checklist worth of checking:

https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/7.1/software_spec/advanced_media_extensions

also since 7.1

Starting from Advanced Media Extensions 2.0.0, users must sign in to their Synology Accounts in DSM to install HEVC and AAC codecs in the package, which allows for the playback of certain file formats in multimedia packages and Surveillance Station.

The thread is talking about Apple‘s HEIC Format not HEVC! Please see the Thread Name…!

If you share a HEIC file from your iPhone it convert it directly  to JPG, so the better question is: Why does Moments or Photos Mobile use the HEIC Format and dont grab the JPG or give us a option for that?