XPEnology Community

Found new method install Thunderbolt card in NAS - working

Captainfingerbang

Question

I keep asking myself-we make our own drivers here sometimes for Nick cards that aren't supported by Synology. 

Then I'm reminded that qnap has had Thunderbolt 3 for years, and now they sell a thunderbolt 3 add-in card. 

So I did a little digging and found a guy online who successfully installed a thunderbolt 3 card in his DIY Nas system and got it working he direct connect it from his Mac to the card in his nas.. Below 

https://chrisbergeron.com/2021/07/25/ultra-fast-thunderbolt-nas-with-apple-m1-and-linux/

FYI I'm taking this guy at his word that he has this actually working but it appears as such

Yes of course I understand I can use 10gbe, I do use it but I want tb3/4 much more. 

BTW this would be using the TB3 in Networking mode.

Are there any really smart people out there who think is a possibility that we could somehow implement this into Synology or at the very least unraid or freenas or OTHER free open NAS operating systems?? 

1 answer to this question

On 12/21/2021 at 10:47 PM, Captainfingerbang said:

I keep asking myself-we make our own drivers here sometimes for Nick cards that aren't supported by Synology. 

Then I'm reminded that qnap has had Thunderbolt 3 for years, and now they sell a thunderbolt 3 add-in card. 

So I did a little digging and found a guy online who successfully installed a thunderbolt 3 card in his DIY Nas system and got it working he direct connect it from his Mac to the card in his nas.. Below 

https://chrisbergeron.com/2021/07/25/ultra-fast-thunderbolt-nas-with-apple-m1-and-linux/

FYI I'm taking this guy at his word that he has this actually working but it appears as such

Yes of course I understand I can use 10gbe, I do use it but I want tb3/4 much more. 

BTW this would be using the TB3 in Networking mode.

Are there any really smart people out there who think is a possibility that we could somehow implement this into Synology or at the very least unraid or freenas or OTHER free open NAS operating systems?? 

Interesting article. So someone will get 20Gb/s with thunderbolt 3. Same as bonding two 10G cards. I think that for 4.4 it’s maybe possible. Do you own a thunderbolt card to test ?