XPEnology Community

Format 35 error in VMWare

road hazard

Trying to get XPEnology up and running in VMWare 12 (just to test out and play around with) but no matter what type of virtual drive(s) I create in VMWare (IDE, SCSI, SATA).... I keep getting an "error 35, can't format disks" message when I select the PAT file in the assistant.

Any ideas?

PS The links to the Synology Assistant appears to be broken on all the xpenology.* sites. I had to grab the SA from Synology's web site. And since I'm a n00b and all, it's quite possible I'm doing something really dumb over here.

increasing the disk size should help as billat29 says. Make it double or more allocated VRAM at least

Hmmmm, when creating the virtual disks, I did NOT pick the option to 'allocate the drive space now' (or whatever that option is called). Think that is what tripped me up?

Try 20Gb. If you are short of real disk space and you keep the option not to allocate the disk space "now" then it will only allocate enough for the install.

I tend to create the disk as a single file - but I have no idea whether that makes any difference.

Try 20Gb. If you are short of real disk space and you keep the option not to allocate the disk space "now" then it will only allocate enough for the install.

I tend to create the disk as a single file - but I have no idea whether that makes any difference.

Did the 20 gigs and it worked! Thanks!

The GUI that Synology uses is pretty damn slick. BUT, spending $600 on the 5 bay DS1515 I was looking at is insane. XPEnology for me!!!!

Even if you changed the disk type to dynamic (vs fixed), during the initial setup/installation, it'll format the drives and expand to the max size allotted so you won't save any hdd storage.