XPEnology Community

Drive Numbers Out of Order (Not SAS)

cstout

Hey everybody, I just treated myself to a compatible 4-port SATA card and was amazed at how effortless it was to add four more drives. When I opened Storage Manager I noticed though that my first four drives are listed as 1-4 (motherboard attached) and my next four are listed 8-11 (SATA card). They're reporting in the correct order as far as SATA port numbering goes, but the disk numbering starting at 8 is messing with my OCD. Is there any way to have the SATA card drives start numbering at 5 instead of 8? What happens if I get another SATA card? Very confused. Thanks for any ideas!

Very odd,...

I don't have a fix for you unfortunately. If I were to guess, your fix might be similar to the process of adding drives beyond the default 12. Out of curiosity, what SATA card do you have and what motherboard?

I'm using an Asus Z97-E motherboard and a couple of IO Crest 4 Port SATA III Controller Cards (Marvell Non-Raid) SI-PEX40064. Generally speaking I haven't had a problem with with drive numbering / position.

Is it possible your motherboard has additional ports? Maybe an eSATA port with multiplayer?

My experience is that an add on card will show as 5-8 (in the above situation) and I think @Octavean is right, there may be a second on-board controller that is taking those slots. Check the bios and disable it, and maybe disable onboard any IDE controllers too. Another thought is to move the add on controller to another PCI slot. If you share the motherboard make/model might help diagnose more too.

Thanks so much for the tip. I didn't even consider that my single eSATA port could be the culprit. It was! I disabled the eSATA port and all my drives are properly numbered 1-8. Thanks so much.

This was done on a Dell Optiplex 780 which has four onboard SATA ports and one eSATA port on the back.