XPEnology Community

Is it possible to manually enumerate drives to match physica

spyrule

Hello,

I'm setting up Xpenology 5.2 5644-u5 on an older Dell 2950 (I got it stupid cheap). Its only going to be used for housing test esxi VMs, so I don't care too much about power/noise.

The only issue I've run into (its minor, but it's annoying), is that the drive number enumeration doesn't line up with the physical drives in the machine. I have all 6 drive bays populated via the Dell SAS 6 i/r in jbod, and they are all seen. However, one of my temporary drives I had (just for testing) failed SMART (I figured it might). However its listed as driver #8. I made the assumption that Drive 8 was the last in the group (so physical drive 6), but in fact that isn't the drive.

Is there a way to identify the drives based on their physical drive location (The dells are numbered 0-5, I'd like to at least have them identified as drives 1 - 6 if possible).

Thanks in advance,

Spyrule

Posted via Xpenology.us

There are a few threads about different controllers and drive numbering on them vs DSM, it seems to be pure luck if drives match exactly - especially with more advanced controllers and backplanes.

You could try disabling any onboard and unused disk controllers, these might be taking slot positions in DSM Storage Manager because of loaded drivers. Worst case is you print some labels to stick on the drive slots to match DSM :smile:

Nope, not with an LSI based card anyhow. I've just been going through the same issue with multiple LSI 9211-8is and LSI support have basically said that the chips enumerate via the SAS WWAN and not a drive order... If you want to order properly, I suspect an adaptec card is the only way forward... Certainly from what I have found the Adaptec 1000 HBA series of cards (12G SAS) seem to work fine.

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated.

I've actually re-installed, and when I did so I only left in the first drive (I recorded its serial #). For the rest of then I did the same thing for each drive consecutively. So now the drives are numbered in somewhat sequential order (albeit starting at drive 3 through 8 instead of 1 - 6).  With my own mapping, I at least know what drive is which based on serial number and drive slot. Annoying yes, but at least it works for now (and saves me having to buy an HBA for old hardware).

Posted via Xpenology.us