XPEnology Community

Hard Drive shown but no space availabel

psionguy

Still trying to get to grips with this new software, so another noob question for you experts.

I have 3 hard drives installed which are all shown in the volume section with their correct size shown, total volume should be around 2.6 tb but only available is 724 gb. It looks like disk 3 which is 1863 gb has no space or not included, but I assume it was formatted during installation time. Unlike my old WHS11 server, it appears all 3 drives are shown as I volume is this correct?

As a point of interest there is no option to create a disk group, could this be part of the problem, and in overview / disk information ( Used disks 3) (Hot spare 0) (Unused disk 0) (Available slots 9)

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Guest

Don't know, the drives were installed at the time of the installation, and they all show as being normal and with the correct size. Could Raid be the issue, notice it does have (SHR) next to it, has it allocated my space for this?

Information under volume shows this:-

Synology RAID (SHR) with data protection of 1 disk fault tolerance.

Also under overview it is showing 9 slots available, not sure what this is.

The 9 slots available is how many disks you can insert, default is 12.

SHR 1 is provding 1 disk fault tolerance, that means if 1 disk fails, you will still have your data.

You can calculate the availble storage here: https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/RAID_calculator

Keep in mind that eg, 2TB is not 2tb but 1.8tb orso.

Posted via Xpenology.us

I strongly advice you to keep SHR raid, and not switch to raid 0 (striping).

If you use striping, and one disk dies, you will lose all your data.

Best thing is, delete volume, create a new one as shr 1.

My setup is the following:

Volume 1 ~ 600Gb for Packages and logs

Volume 2 5Tb For storage,

Volume 1 and volume 2 together create disk group 1 (still following it :razz:?).

Posted via Xpenology.us