XPEnology Community

Disk crashed and now diskstation wants to reinstall

jpbaril

Question

Hi,

Yesterday my NAS began making noise then some time after I received an email my "volume 1" had crashed.

That RAID1 (not SHR) volume is composed of a sole disk. I also have another RAID1 volume called "volume 3" which is composed of two disks and is my main volume where apps are installed.

So I shutdown the machine, removed the sole disk of faulty volume 1, and rebooted the NAS.

The problem: now my NAS boot in installation/migration mode with a dynamic IP (normally it's on a fixed IP).

My installed DSM version is recognized.

I tried to simply migrate using manually uploaded .pat file (both the base 6.2.3-25426 and 6.2.3-25426 update 3) but I end up with an Error 13.

I have been using Xpenology since 6 years now. First time I see such weird behavior.

My setup:

• Virtualized with Linux KVM
  • Simulated machine: DS918+
  • Loader: 1.04b
  • DSM Version: 6.2.3-25426 update 3
  • All volumes are BTRFS formated

I ran SMART long test on each 3 disks from my Linux host. In the cryptic message I seem to understand they all work fine. 

What can I do?

Thanks.

Edited by jpbaril

7 answers to this question

If the fixed IP was set up by DSM and DSM doesn't start, you will get a dynamic IP.

But then DSM should have restarted, complaining bitterly about the system volume having crashed and any apps that were still on volume1 would be broken. So there's something else going on here.

One question: What version of DSM were you running before the crash? The same?

Error 13 usually means a bad VID/PID setting.

OP didn't mention how the loader was configured.

If USB loader is used (even if virtualized/emulated), VID/PID must be set correctly in grub.cfg.

If IMG file is used, i.e. vdisk connected to a virtual SATA controller, the correct boot "ESXi" option must be selected during the actual boot process.

Always best to burn a clean loader if running into problems installing, which includes re-installs and migrations.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, flyride said:

Error 13 usually means a bad VID/PID setting.

OP didn't mention how the loader was configured.

If USB loader is used (even if virtualized/emulated), VID/PID must be set correctly in grub.cfg.

If IMG file is used, i.e. vdisk connected to a virtual SATA controller, the correct boot "ESXi" option must be selected during the actual boot process.

Always best to burn a clean loader if running into problems installing, which includes re-installs and migrations.

It's an .img file attached as a sata disk (not usb device as it used to be few years ago on dsm 5).

I had a look to my img file, grub.cfg file in it, last modified time did not change in a year.

18 hours ago, jpbaril said:

I had a look to my img file, grub.cfg file in it, last modified time did not change in a year.

what was the last dsm version you had?

there is a driver incompatibility with 6.2.2 and when you used a 6.2.2 crafted extra.lzma then it might prevent the system to be detected either because of the driver needed not loading or the whole dsm crashing because of the mismatch

check if its jun's original (6.2.0) version that is again compatible with 6.2.3 or use my special extra.lzma (adding some drivers and taking care of the i915 driver)

you might add a virtual com port to the vm and connect a console to it, that way you can see what happens when dsm loads after the loader, might give you a hint about the problem

Edited by IG-88

On 12/11/2021 at 7:37 AM, IG-88 said:

what was the last dsm version you had?

I have 6.2.3-25426 update 3 since a year. No special extra.lzma used.

On 12/11/2021 at 7:37 AM, IG-88 said:

you might add a virtual com port to the vm and connect a console to it, that way you can see what happens when dsm loads after the loader, might give you a hint about the problem

Do you happen to know how to do that in Virt-Manager/LibVirt?
Thank you