XPEnology Community

DMS on HP MediaSmart

scanner

Thanks Guys for this DSM, I decided to try and reuse my old HP mediasmart EX475, it took a few attempts but finally I have a fully functioning sinology box without booting off the USB key. Although I loose one hard drive bay it's worth it as I don't have to buy an expensive monitor cable adapter or try to make one myself, (less hassle)

i have never managed to boot from the usb no matter how many combinations or boot usb drives i make. I know if the boot option is left as default it still boots (tested on pc) therefor all i have to do is wait until i can ping the mediasmart. I have tested the usb key on a normal pc and it boots fine but placed in the lower usb port on the mediasmart with or without any disk in the bays it eventually boots to the internal flash used for whs remote install. i know this is the case as port 80 or 5000 is not accessible only rpc port is open. are there any instructions (simple) to get this working.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi - I too am trying to make my HP MediaSmart 475 boot with DSM 5.2 on a USB key.

I used Win32DiskImager to put "Xpenoboot_5.2-5644_Update_5.img" onto a 1GB USB key.

I put key into lowermost USB slot on back of unit and removed all HDDs.

It appears as though the USB key boots, pings my gateway and issues a DHCP request but beyond trying to register to WORKGROUP via NBNS nothing seems to happen ?  at least that's what Wireshark says...

I noticed that Win32DiskImager takes a 1GB USB Key and partitions it into a 23.7 MB USB key !! - Is this an issue (not enough space) for DSM to install itself onto the USB key ?  My home WORKGROUP is *.home - is that OK ?

As you know I have no KVM capability on this box and and can't justify a $100 cable just to get KVM.

@CtrlAltDel - what "file" were you referencing above and what edits were you talking about ?  Maybe I can take this to the next step by modding the USB stick and trying again.

thx

BigDaddy

Posted via Xpenology.us

• 3 weeks later...

Last night I tried an experiment with XPEnology on an old HP EX490 which is a bit different then the older EX475 but might be similar enough. It wasn't a very clean experiment though because I used a 3TB HDD that I had previously initialized in another system running DSM. So technically the HDD already had DSM on it.

The first important step is to put the XPEnology USB boot stick into the lowest USB port in the rear of the MediaSmart Server. Then the second important part step is to place the internal HDD in to the second to last HDD slot . If you place a HDD into the lowest HDD slot then the USB boot stick will be ignored and you'll never be able to boot with the XPEnology boot stick. If you don't have a HDD physically installed in a slot then you can't initialize a HDD and install XPEnology onto a HDD.

Anyway, it booted fine with the XPEnology USB boot stick when I followed those simple steps or at least I think it did. I can zero out the HDD and try again to be sure but I don't think the results will be any different,...