XPEnology Community

BTRFS on Proliant Gen8 ?

kouignamann

Hi all,

I've recently installed Xpenology (DSM 5.2-5644 Update 5, recognized as a DS3615xs) on a HP Proliant Microserver Gen8 G1610T.

Only modification are that I updated everything with latest HP SPP and I disabled "hardware" RAID for SATA AHCI instead giving direct access to disks.

It works great so far. I'm almost done with my data migration.

Previously I had a Netgear RN104 NAS. It is terrible for 98% of things, but it runs BTRFS natively. This means I've been used to snapshots and all the things here : https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/Btrfs

So I was a bit staggered when I discovered BTRFS is not entirely available in DSM. As far as I can tell, il should be available in DSM 6.

So my questions are :

[*]Is there any stable way be to enable BTRFS ?

[*]A way that doesn't involve backing everything up and resintalling the machine from scratch ?

[*]Any workaround that allows me to use snapshots ?

EDIT : I've not updated my bootloader (might be 5.2... Update 3). Is this a problem ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

1) I think DSM 5.xxx uses an old kernel which had issues with BTRFS so I'd not use it yet, not until 6 is ready.

2) From what I have read with the DSM6 betas, there is no migration tool to move from EXT4 to BTRFS. I think there is a manual method but it was discourged on the synology forums.

3) Can't answer the last question, sorry.

So my most valid opton would be to wait for DSM 6 on Xpenology machines ?

Do you think a valid migration option would be :

1) Upgrade to DSM6

2) Add new disks and create a new BTRFS volume.

3) Copy data from legacy volume (EXT4) to the new BTRFS volume.

4) Erase legacy volume and use it's disks to expand the BTRFS volume

I know it's a wild guess since we don't have much info about DSM 6 but I don't have a lot of mileage with DSM.

Edited by Guest