XPEnology Community

HDD seen by BIOS but not in Synology

Chichong

Alright, I must say it worked perfectly al those times. The only thing I did today was updated my motherboard BIOS firmware and after that my Synology entered into degraded mode [3/4], thats what it says on screen. I have 4 disk of 5TB each and all of them are being detected by BIOS but only 3 are detected by Synology. The SATA detection mode are set to "IDE". Anyone have a idea why its acting like this?

thats bad luck !

What is your Mobo make a model?

Which of the 4 drives is not showing in DSM (ie HDD 1, 2, 3 or 4) and how does that relate to the SATA ports on the mobo?

When you upgraded the BIOS did you reset the settings to those that were 'working' before?

Try disabling built in serial/parallel/audio devices

Try disabling all HDDs in the boot sequence (so that your only boot device is the USB)

Try the latest XPE version

thats bad luck !

What is your Mobo make a model?

Which of the 4 drives is not showing in DSM (ie HDD 1, 2, 3 or 4) and how does that relate to the SATA ports on the mobo?

When you upgraded the BIOS did you reset the settings to those that were 'working' before?

Try disabling built in serial/parallel/audio devices

Try disabling all HDDs in the boot sequence (so that your only boot device is the USB)

Try the latest XPE version

M5A78L-M-USB3

HDD1 is missing

it shouldn't matter much to sata ports but in the past experience on windows machine it matters between AHCI and IDE legacy detection. However in synology/xpenology only IDE mode are detected. AHCI needs supported by OS drivers.

BIOS settings were default no changes were made before and after BIOS upgrade.

Haven't tried disabling audio/parrallel/etc what kind of connection does it have with detection on HDD ?

Whats the benefit of detecting only the bootdrive (USB) and disabling all other HDD? There is no OS on the USB. The system woud not start without a HDD.

I want to try upgrade XPE version, but also a bit scared, that it would fail or wouldn't boot the XPEnology image, in the past had experience that it wouldn't load further then boot screen, it was stuck on load sdvbd or something, the login screen was not shown on the console.

so the mobo has 6 sata ports?

have you tried HDD 1 connected to one of the other 'unused' sata ports?

I have a couple of ASUS e35m1 6 sata mobos (5 on board and one e-sata) where only 4 are detected by xpe, due I think to chipset/bios/driver enumeration of sata channels. Your bios may have 'shifted' the order of the ports that xpe can detect eg previously ports 1-4 worked, but now its 2-5.

Disabling 'unwanted' hardware suggested to free up mobo resources and reduce the risk of device conflicts

Disabling HDDs from the boot sequence just to avoid issues too.

Its the XPE o/s on the USB that boots, then, once all device drivers are loaded, it hands over to DSM installed on the HDDs, which are not boot devices.

Alright, I have tried your suggested method by plug in the HDD one by one and my conclusion is that SATA port 5 & 6 has stopped working in Synology. So I attached the four HDDS to port 1-4 and after that they were all detected by the OS. The only problem was the console was showing error that 1 HDD has stopped working, I opened up the the volume manager, and 1 HDD was in green status. it means that is not in the array anymore, something like corrupt.. It gave me option to restore the array because it detected some old OS system files, reboot and it will restore/fix it by itself. Currently by writing this message, it takes 484 minutes, after that we will see whats gonna happen.

*Edit*

Wow that was really scary, I couldn't add back HDD2 back to the degraded volume. the option was not there to add HDD2 while HDD2 was showing as a healthy drive. At that moment I was clueless what to do next, so I digg around the menu a bit and saw the option to add a Hot-Spare drive to the degraded volume. Turned on that option and saw HDD2 was listed there, checked the marker and now its back to the volume where it belongs. And now the volume is finally repairing/rebuilding itself.