XPEnology Community

HP ex495 network problems

mikeperks

Question

hi all 

I am having problems using SSH  i can get to the part where i input the shell data and all i get are not available and errors ?

see what following below 

Shell> cd /volumeUSB2/usbshare Shell> tar vjxf r8168-8.aaa.bb.tar.bz2 Shell> cd r8168-8.aa.bb Shell> ./autorun.sh

from other user guide

So I had a chance write down the steps I took to make the HP EX495 to run on 1000 Mbps instead of 100 Mbps. I am only referring to the HP EX495 headless server (no VGA port)

Original problem: Installation of XPenology will default to the R8169 driver instead of R8168 causing the server to use speed of 100 Mbps (too slow)

Solution: Manually install the R8168 driver from manufacturer so it can use the correct driver.

Prerequisites:

- USB drive (thumb drive) - any size ok.

- Access to your NAS via SSH protocol, normally port 22. Here is how to do it: http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/Enabling_the_Command_Line_Interface

- SSH client like putty http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

- Login to your NAS as “root”.

Steps:

Place a spare USB drive on your computer and format it using FAT32 file system.

1. Download the 8168 drivers from RealTek Website. Here is the link:http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

2. Scroll down to UNIX (Linux) section and click on the Global link for Version 8.040 (first row).

3. Copy and paste “0002-r8168-8.040.00.tar.bz2” to the USB drive.

4. Remove the USB drive and place it on your XPEpenology NAS

5. SSH to your NAS via IP Address or Host name and port number, default is port 22.

6. Login as root and enter your password.

Run the following code at the command shell:

Shell> cd /volumeUSB2/usbshare Shell> tar vjxf r8168-8.aaa.bb.tar.bz2 Shell> cd r8168-8.aa.bb Shell> ./autorun.sh

Note: Look for your USB drive folder – Normally it would be volumeUSB2 and up not USB1 (boot USB), make sure you have correct one.

At this point if you are using remote ssh client it will run the script to Makefile and install the drivers, but it will cause your connection to be lost. Wait about 5 minutes and hard shutdown your EX495 by holding the power button for a few seconds. Then boot up the EX495, in my case I have to remove SATA0 shortly so it can boot from USB for a few seconds then place SATA0 drive back on so it can continue to boot (Headless server, no VGA).

Once the EX495 has booted, go back to ssh console and verify that adapter is now on 1000 Mbps and not 100 Mbps.

Run the following code on the shell:

Shell>ethtool eth0

Scroll down to the line where you see Speed and make sure it reads “1000Mb/s, Duplex Full”.

Transfer a large file to your NAS over the wire and monitor the speed 

I hope this is useful for some HP EX495 users.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet