XPEnology Community

asterisk on ha cluster problem

asiawatcher

so i have created a cluster between my x2 xpenology diskstations which works great except the fact that i CANNOT connect my extensions to the floating ip for asterisk, when i do it times out and does nothing while if i connect my extensions directly to the diskstation original ip (not the floating one) it works

sql server dns server radius server etc all work fine with the floating ip except asterisk anyone has the same problem and/or a solution ?

running 5.2-5592.2 update 4 xpenology

cheers

Not done this myself, but I would suspect a network traffic issue or authentication issue stopping the extensions registering. Possibly asterisk cant handle the floating IP and routing UPD/TCP SIP traffic.

Have a look at the asterisk and phone handset logs and see if there is anything there that might help. Also maybe try some network analysis and see what the traffic is doing between the phones and server IP.

Just a quick heads up for asterisk users...I seem to remember reading that Synology are going to be dropping asterisk support in DSM 6 due to lack of development on the project blar blar. Just checked and it's mentioned in the Beta Release Notes - See Compatibility #9 here > https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/6.0beta/ReleaseNote.

Maybe Docker could offer a solution? Synology are also going to be implementing restrictions on the use of docker containers in the final release of DSM 6. :???:

asterisk worked flawlessly while i had it on standalone function on the single nas only in cluster ip it seems to have a problem

it again works flawlessly if i use the nas lan card ip, it only cant find asterisk if i use the redundant floating ip

all other services such as dns radius mariadb etc work flawlessly with the floating ip only asterisk has problem the phones time out they cannot find the server if phone tries to connect to the floating ip but in the nas direct ip it connects great.

This is beyond me really as both ips floating and the nas one are on the same machine while its online how can a service be recognized in the nas ip while not in the floating ip attached to the same machine? and how can the other tcp/udp services work in the floating ip but asterisk doesnt ? imagine you havew a machine with 2 ip's and 2 lan adapters and you got a telnet server for example and it works on the first ip but not on second while your server listens to all ip's how can this be ?

i use iax phones and iax udp port 4569 not sip protocol so it must be very easy tried to change port also but to no avail.

it works now as long as the phones connect directly to the nas ip and while its online if its taken offline all phones will go offline with it as it seems i cant have redundancy thats why i wanted a cluster in the first place to have redundancy for all my files/services along with asterisk it seems it will only work with asterisk if it only phones connect to the nas ip directly and not the floating ip

dont know whatelse to do really. cheers

I suspect you are into a murky world of IAX packets and how they are handled by a cluster IP address.

A few suggestions;

Check device logs and try the network tracing to see what your IAX devices and packets are doing - time outs says your data isn't getting to and from where it should.

Check for any firewall rules blocking the IAX traffic on the cluster IP

Try the SIP protocol if you can configure asterisk to use it

Create a 'high availability' solution using a 'live' and 'failover' installation and the two 'real' IP addresses rather than the cluster IP

Also - have to ask - Why are you running systems that need HA on XPE/DSM - which is a 'fun' project and not a production grade solution? You should be using real Synology kit if you want that :smile:

solved the issue by adding this routing table

route add -net 192.168.100.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth1:HA

ip route flush cache

login as: root

root@cluster's password:

BusyBox v1.16.1 (2015-06-29 18:21:52 CST) built-in shell (ash)

Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

cluster> ip route list

default via 192.168.100.1 dev eth1

169.254.0.0/16 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 169.254.197.22

169.254.1.0/30 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 169.254.1.2

192.168.100.0/24 dev eth1 scope link src 192.168.100.200

192.168.100.0/24 dev eth1 scope link src 192.168.100.202

cluster>

192.168.100.200 is the floating ip and 192.168.100.202 the physical interface

cheers

I suspect you are into a murky world of IAX packets and how they are handled by a cluster IP address.

A few suggestions;

Check device logs and try the network tracing to see what your IAX devices and packets are doing - time outs says your data isn't getting to and from where it should.

Check for any firewall rules blocking the IAX traffic on the cluster IP

Try the SIP protocol if you can configure asterisk to use it

Create a 'high availability' solution using a 'live' and 'failover' installation and the two 'real' IP addresses rather than the cluster IP

Also - have to ask - Why are you running systems that need HA on XPE/DSM - which is a 'fun' project and not a production grade solution? You should be using real Synology kit if you want that :smile:

using xpenology on x2 qnap's ts-459u work great better than production grade :razz:

whoever uses qnaps like me only use 5.2-5592.2 update 4, later versions dont work i tried everything.

nice solution - it was routing afterall :smile:

you might need to check what happens to that route configuration after a reboot, it might not be 'sticky' and you will need a script to re-add

You are right i must check that how do i add something to be run on boottime on xpenology ? Cheers