XPEnology Community

"Set and forget" NAS software?

famulor

I'm using a Synology NAS right now and im looking to build my own NAS to get more drives (and save a few bucks) and looking through the different NAS software they all seem good but whats the easiest when coming from a Synology? Since i have 8TB of content it would be nice just to plug the harddrives in without deleting everything on them first. I dont care if its running on windows, its own OS, linux or whatever as long as easy to setup and maintain is the keyword.

I'm going to use some sort of online backup (just need to figure out what first) so that my content can be auto backupped whenver i add new content and then it needs to get synced into another synology NAS.

Hope you can give some advice

If you want something that's easy to maintain I really recommend to stick with a official Synology device. XPenology is nice, but you won't get automatic updates and will have to get your hands dirty once in a while, especially if you make your NAS accessible from the Internet. Transitioning to a Synology device that supports more hard drives shouldn't be problematic either.

Regarding online backup I'm personally using CrashPlan. It's working great, it's cheap, unlimited storage and supports encryption with your own private key. I have made a tutorial on that if you want to take a look. The link is in my signature. If you only intend to sync stuff locally, rsync should do the job just fine.