XPEnology Community

How to use a drive without any dataloss when adding volumes?

HuisbaasBob

Hello XPEnology enthusiasts!

First of all, THANKS! This is just such an amazing OS! I'm thinking about using this OS, but one thing is beholding me from installing it.

I first tried it out in an VM, to see if it would work, and its Great!

On the pc that i am intending to use the OS, Is an HDD located. Now you're thinking, so what?!

All my movies and series that i've downloaded over the past 2 years are stored on that HDD and i want to use that same HDD to work in my XPEnology system.

(With all my movies of course!) But in the 'trial', i couldn't see a way to use the HDD without losing any files at all.

So my question is: How to get a HDD (full of files), working in XPEnology WITHOUT ANY DATALOSS!?

I hope someone could help me out here on this forum!

'Not possible' to put it simply. :sad:

when you install DSM it will format your HDD into the partitions it needs and will overwrite your existing data.

you will have to make a backup of your files to another device, install DSM, create your shared folders and then copy your files into them

'Not possible' to put it simply. :sad:

when you install DSM it will format your HDD into the partitions it needs and will overwrite your existing data.

you will have to make a backup of your files to another device, install DSM, create your shared folders and then copy your files into them

So you also can't remove the drives before the installation and then add them afterwards?!

And has this something to do with the filesystem synology uses?