XPEnology Community

Time to replace my hp n54l

waspsoton

So as the title says I am looking to replace my server. Can spend around £800 maybe more. Looking for 6+ sata and must be powerful enough to cope with 4-6 streams at once.

Pre-built or you build with parts?

Check eBay to see if the guy from Japan is still selling engineering samples of Xeon V3 processors. I bought a 2630LV3 about 4 months back for $199 US from this person. They are legit.

seller:icomputer_parts_international

I use that with a SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SRI-F. Works good, 10 Sata ports all Intel.

Note: Xpenology can only use 8 cores. So on the 2630Lv3 I have hypertheading disabled so I only use the 8 real cores. My setup is baremetal, plex is really the only thing that takes processor power on my setup.

I am think of using a dual cpu board so do u think this board would work

supermicro X10DAL-i

So as the title says I am looking to replace my server. Can spend around £800 maybe more. Looking for 6+ sata and must be powerful enough to cope with 4-6 streams at once.

Pre-built or you build with parts?

Check eBay to see if the guy from Japan is still selling engineering samples of Xeon V3 processors. I bought a 2630LV3 about 4 months back for $199 US from this person. They are legit.

seller:icomputer_parts_international

I use that with a SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SRI-F. Works good, 10 Sata ports all Intel.

Note: Xpenology can only use 8 cores. So on the 2630Lv3 I have hypertheading disabled so I only use the 8 real cores. My setup is baremetal, plex is really the only thing that takes processor power on my setup.

If you buy a powerhouse, I'd recommend not directly installing Synology - rather use a hypervisor and emulate XPEnology, alongside with other OS's. That way you can have access to raw power of the machine, while keeping your Synology up and running :wink:

Ok sorry for the stupid question but what do u mean hypervisor??

Hypervisor is a machine virtualization like esxi etc. It allows you to use your hardware to function as multiple machines concurrently. You can have virtual machines running different operating system. The suggestion is that you create a virtual environment to run Xpenology instance - which is relatively light on resource demands (depending on your use case) leaving slack on your hardware that could be used to run alternative virtual machines. For example you could have a virtual machine running xbmc which could access media on your Xpenology. It's a little more fiddly than running a bare metal install but on a powerful machine it's worth the hassle. There are some differences when virtualizing Xpenology so you would need to research any issues that may affect you and your use case. There's lots of information here on the forum discussing esxi etc. and there are guides etc. on YTube.

If you use any hypervisor, you can emulate any network adapter you want - basically making sure that your Synology is completely supporting everything, without needing to match the hardware or compile drivers.

I'm moving soon to a better flat, and am planning on grabbing a small powerhouse for myself - one part will run XPEnology to host my stuff, one part will run Kodi connected to my TV, for media access. I'm also grabbing a 4K TV, and before you say anything, yes, I know many TVs come with smart software, but none get even close to the multimedia functions of Kodi.