XPEnology Community

Freenom domain

jn_0810

A free domain provider i guess [emoji848] i am not really that sure

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

Freenom.com don't seem to offer a ddns service they are providing domains some of which are free but the tld's offered for free aren't particularly useful especially for any form of business orientated application. They would probably be OK for testing and personal stuff that you don't want good search indexed results for. You can buy domains under more prestigious tld's like .com .net etc.

The answer to your opening question is no you can't use them as a DDNS, but you can get a free domain and manage whatever they offer within the domains control panel, i.e. MX, DNS A's 'n C's etc. Not all domain control panels are equal so you would have to suck it 'n see how useful it is for you.

Nothing is for free so you will be giving up something in order to obtain your 'Free Domain'.

Well i see. since i saw a quick connect by syno.ml:5000 and found it was quite interesting that it was a top level. And meanwhile I found that freenom offers free top level domain with .ml end just like the quick connect up-top.

Do you know how to get a top level ddns or domain to connect to your synology/xpenology server.

Sorry for bad English and computer skill and thanks for your reply[emoji16]

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

One thing you can do is get a free ddns service like https://freedns.afraid.org/

Set it up for your home ip whichever way you choose (script, router settings, etc)

Point your freenom dns entries as CNAME entries to your ddns address. If your ddns changes ip your top level domain CNAME entries are still hitting the ddns address.

Hope that can help you.

Well i see. since i saw a quick connect by syno.ml:5000 and found it was quite interesting that it was a top level. And meanwhile I found that freenom offers free top level domain with .ml end just like the quick connect up-top.

Do you know how to get a top level ddns or domain to connect to your synology/xpenology server.

Sorry for bad English and computer skill and thanks for your reply[emoji16]

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

If you want a meaningful domain name on a tld then you would be better off buying the domain that you want. Some of the DDNS providers sell domains or you can migrate your domain to their system provided they cater for the tld you are using. You can also keep your domain with your registrar and hand off the dns management to a third-party ddns provider (they will normally charge for dns/ddns management). If you want to keep things free then you will have to make some sort of compromise in most cases. It's always best to be in control of your domain in the long run as the more you propagate the information the more reliant you get on controlling it.

The best place to start would probably be some researching the many ddns providers and the services they offer and the associated cost, functionality v free. Then you can make an informed choice about the domain you want to use long term if ddns is a major factor. If you can obtain a fixed ip address you can just buy a domain and set-up the dns to point where ever you need it to go. The issue there would be if you change to an IPS who doesn't offer a fixed ip...on domestic services for example. In that situation you would be back to needing a ddns service.

You could take a look at ChangeMyIP.com who offer free and affordable ddns/dns solutions, they have a limited range of paid tld's and a wide range of free ones. They also offer a third-party dns option at a price unless the domain is with them. That's not a recommendation is intended to be a place to start your research.