XPEnology Community

SM 12 3.5" bay SES2 chassis - Does drive numbering work ok?

Benoire

Have you guys considered using SATA backplane, basically HDD cages with build in backplane like the ICY DOCK or Rosewill or ... too many brands to name.

I find those LSI cards works as expected if they are attached to a backplane, it is after all very odd to use LSI cards SFF straight to SATA HDDs, most Servers from Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc... they will always come with a backplane and hotswap, and all of them are usually using some re-branded LSI using their own Dell / Lenovo / HP firmware.

Yes, I have three '4in3' Rosewill sata cages right now connected to two LSI 9211-8i cards and the drive numbering is not correct. If you insert the drives in the drive cages from what you think is 1 to 12 and it will seem correct, but if you do 1-4 and then stick a drive in cage 12, it will show as 5 in DSM, this is something to do with the LSI firmware/drivers that use the WWAN to address without recognising the logical drive mapping.