XPEnology Community

what kind of replacement do you advice to me for an old N54L running xpenology 6.2.3

supertrash

hello friends, i need an advice and i really do not know what to buy.

i have an old N54L with modified bios and 6 drives inside (i have bought a bracket to put 2 drives in the 5,25 bay slot), and he is running now 24h/24 for more than 6 years.

he is running jun loader on usb, 6.2.3 25426 update 3 which is the last version supported by the actual loaders.

i am afraid that the motherboard may die in the next months, and i would like you to give me some advice for a replacement.

i would like a quiet server as the N54L Was, with a fanless processor, in order not to be bothered by sound expect the HDD noises.

what kind of new pc setup do you advice me to be able to put inside 6 sata drives. i do not want to buy a real NAS. i want an equivalent to the N54L.

have a nice day all

9 hours ago, supertrash said:

hello friends, i need an advice and i really do not know what to buy.

i have an old N54L with modified bios and 6 drives inside (i have bought a bracket to put 2 drives in the 5,25 bay slot), and he is running now 24h/24 for more than 6 years.

he is running jun loader on usb, 6.2.3 25426 update 3 which is the last version supported by the actual loaders.

i am afraid that the motherboard may die in the next months, and i would like you to give me some advice for a replacement.

i would like a quiet server as the N54L Was, with a fanless processor, in order not to be bothered by sound expect the HDD noises.

what kind of new pc setup do you advice me to be able to put inside 6 sata drives. i do not want to buy a real NAS. i want an equivalent to the N54L.

have a nice day all

I've been running the N34L for almost 10 Years now. Other than FAN replacement everything is good.

I'm running RedPill and DSM7 on N34L, which is currently in development state for couple of weeks now. If i were you, i will be waiting for the final release of RedPill to decide on the hardware. The ThorGroup mentioned AMD on their roadmap.

Edited by pocopico

10 hours ago, pocopico said:

I've been running the N34L for almost 10 Years now. Other than FAN replacement everything is good.

I'm running RedPill and DSM7 on N34L, which is currently in development state for couple of weeks now. If i were you, i will be waiting for the final release of RedPill to decide on the hardware. The ThorGroup mentioned AMD on their roadmap.

i know that N34L and N54L are good quality, but who knows ******* happens. is there a way to get an equivalent, or the N54L is so mythic that it will never be replaced by something else ?

1 hour ago, supertrash said:

is it possible to put 6 3.5inch drives inside a Gen8 microserver because curently i have 6 drives inside an HP N54L (2 drives are inside the 5.25 slot) ?

No it isn’t, you can add 2.5” drives in the dvd space but only 4 3.5” drives.

I was running during many years a N36L. I then switched to an ASRock J4105-ITX. You would have to add a PCI card for additional SATA ports. It is very energy efficient and silent.I was running during many years a N36L. I then switched to an ASRock J4105-ITX. You would have to add a PCI card for additional SATA ports. It is  energy efficient and silent.

1 hour ago, tdse13 said:

I was running during many years a N36L. I then switched to an ASRock J4105-ITX. You would have to add a PCI card for additional SATA ports. It is very energy efficient and silent.I was running during many years a N36L. I then switched to an ASRock J4105-ITX. You would have to add a PCI card for additional SATA ports. It is  energy efficient and silent.

Capacity wise, you have a very efficient configuration. I'll be heading for larger capacity disks soon as well. I've spreaded all data to various places and i need to gother them back into one place.  

On 11/18/2021 at 12:20 AM, Dfds said:

No it isn’t, you can add 2.5” drives in the dvd space but only 4 3.5” drives.

i do not understand why you propose me generation 8, as in the old N54L you can put 6 (3.5) drives inside

On 11/17/2021 at 11:32 PM, pocopico said:

A new gen10 plus exists that is a great option 

you cannot put 6 drives inside. gen10 is still worse than the old models.

On 11/18/2021 at 1:36 PM, pocopico said:

Capacity wise, you have a very efficient configuration. I'll be heading for larger capacity disks soon as well. I've spreaded all data to various places and i need to gother them back into one place.  

i think you do not understand what i asked. i have a 6 drive configuration with a HP N54L, i want to put my 6 drives, and install the same xpenolygy on USB in a new pc as small as the N54L, and as Silent as the N54L, to get my 6 drives config work again. this is simple.

On 11/18/2021 at 11:54 AM, tdse13 said:

at last someone who understood the post, what i would like. what kind of processor is included with the ASRock J4105-ITX. ? what kind of PC case whould you advice to put 6 3.5 drives inside ?

5 hours ago, supertrash said:

at last someone who understood the post, what i would like. what kind of processor is included with the ASRock J4105-ITX. ? what kind of PC case whould you advice to put 6 3.5 drives inside ?

Search is your friend, or at least logic.  The processor is the Intel J4105.  This board is very inexpensive, small (ITX) and passively cooled.  It is directly supported for DS918+ (it is very, very close to the actual hardware that Synology uses but without M.2 slots).

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/J4105-ITX/index.us.asp

It only has four SATA ports, so if you want more, as mentioned, you will need to find something to plug into the PCIe 2.0 x1 slot, and that's it for expansion.

There are a lot of threads on cases, but I like the U-NAS cases because they have hot-swappable bays.  I have the 4-bay version and the 8-bay version right now.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 6:35 PM, flyride said:

Search is your friend, or at least logic.  The processor is the Intel J4105.  This board is very inexpensive, small (ITX) and passively cooled.  It is directly supported for DS918+ (it is very, very close to the actual hardware that Synology uses but without M.2 slots).

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/J4105-ITX/index.us.asp

It only has four SATA ports, so if you want more, as mentioned, you will need to find something to plug into the PCIe 2.0 x1 slot, and that's it for expansion.

There are a lot of threads on cases, but I like the U-NAS cases because they have hot-swappable bays.  I have the 4-bay version and the 8-bay version right now.

thanks a lot

have you got an example of U-NAS ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 6:35 PM, flyride said:

i have successfully bought the motherboard you adviced me, could you please advice me a good card for adding 2 more sata ports ?

have a nice day