XPEnology Community

XPEnology DS3612xs DSM 4.2 build 3211++ (repack v1.2)

Hi,

finally finished to build my xpenology.

Asus P8H77-I

Intel 3220T

5 WD 3TB Red

I also have a Synology DS411j and copied from there most of data on to the xpenology. Both Nas are connected through a time capsule to the network, the TC funtions as a switch behind my actual Asus rt-n56u router.

I have though a bit of a problem. After a while my iMac can't connect via finder to it anymore also apple tv can't see it but I can access it via web interface and I can see that the router has registered it. I couldn't figure a pattern why it loses this connection. The DS441j on 4.3 doesn't show this behavior.

Forgot: I also seem to have issues with the reboot out of DSM, it hangs and I have to "hard" shut down by pressing the power button.

Any hint would be great.

Thanks

What's new ?

- AMD CPU support

- Add / update Network / SATA / SCSI / SAS / USB drivers

- Add PATA support

- USB OHCI support

- SSH access enabled by default

- DM-Mirror support for LVM2 physical relocation (include dm-log, dm-region-hash and dm-mirror modules. thanks totalnas)

- LSI MPT HBA support (mpt2sas.ko load at boot in ramdrive)

- VMware support (PVSCSI and Balloon drivers)

- Add experimental support for acpi / powermanagement (manually insmod modules on supported hardware)

- Include bootstrap ipkg setup script (see changelog for details)

To convert .img file to .vdi (virtualbox)

30-08-2013

Version 1.2 is now available : http://xpenology.trantor.be/ (please click on ad to help me with this project)

Known Issues:

WARNING : If you upgrade from 4.2-3202 v1.0 backup your data before upgrade !!

As usual give feedbacks :smile:

See changelog for full list of fix and supported hardware:

CHANGELOG

v1.2 (30/08/13)

- Fix boot hang issue with some marvell controllers (fixed sata_mv.c)
- Replace megaraid_sas driver with the latest one from LSI website
- Include bootstrap ipkg setup script (/root.profile is already modified) : after setup just log to ssh and type :
sh syno-i686-bootstrap_1.2-7_i686.xsh
reboot, log again to ssh and type 
ipkg update
ipkg upgrade

v1.1 (24/08/13)

- Upgrade to 4.2-3211 build
- Build latest aacraid drivers (Adaptec RAID 71xx/72xx/78xx and IBM ServeRAID adapters)
- Enabled /proc/acpi/event (build ACPI_PROC_EVENT)
- Build the VMware Balloon driver as module
- Fix issue that USB devices was detected as esata (modifying usbportcfg and esataportcfg in synoinfo.conf, maybe need some adjustment depending on harware)

v1.0 (06/08/13)

- The .config file is included in kernel
- SSH access enabled by default
- DM-Mirror support for LVM2 physical relocation (include dm-log, dm-region-hash and dm-mirror modules)
- LSI MPT HBA support (mpt2sas.ko load at boot in ramdrive)

NETWORK
-------

Replace the REALTEK r8169 driver with the r8168 v8.036 (RTL8111x/RTL8168x/RTL8411x)
REALTEK driver r8101 v1.024.00 (RTL8100x/RTL8101x/RTL8102x/RTL8103x/RTL8401x/RTL8105x/RTL8106x)
INTEL e1000e driver to v2.4.14 (support I217x and I218x chip)

3COM 3c590/3c900 series (592/595/597), 3cr990
AMD PCnet32
Atheros L2, L1
Atheros L1C (ATL1E)
Atheros L1E (ATL1E)
AMD 8111 (AMD8111_ETH)
D-LINK DL2000/TC902x-based Gigabit Ethernet (DL2K)
Broadcom 440x/47xx, NetExtremeII, CNIC, Tigon3 (HP NCxx)
Intel PRO/100+, PRO/1000, 82575/82576, 82586/82593/82596
JMicron JMC250 (jme)
Marvell Yukon
Marvell Yukon 2 (sky2) : 88E8021/88E8022/88E8035/88E8036/88E8038/88E8050/88E8052/88E8053/88E8055/88E8061/88E8062, SysKonnect SK-9E21D/SK-9S21
Nvidia nForce
QLogic QLA3XXX, QLCNIC
Realtek 8139,8129,8130,8169
SiS SiS900/7016, SiS190/SiS191
VIA Rhine (via-rhine) : (Rhine-I (VT86C100A), Rhine-II (VT6102), or Rhine-III (VT6105)
VMware vmxnet3

USB
---

USB_OHCI_HCD (thanks totalnas for the tip)

SATA
----

Intel ESB, ICH, PIIX3, PIIX4
Marvell
NVidia
Silicon Image 3124/3132
SiS 964/965/966/180
VIA SATA support (SATA_VIA)

SCSI
----

3ware 5/6/7/8xxx ATA-RAID
3ware 9xxx SATA-RAID
3ware 97xx SAS/SATA-RAID
HP Smart Array SCSI
Adaptec AIC7xxx (New Driver)
Adaptec AIC79xx U320
Adaptec AIC94xx SAS/SATA
Marvell 88SE64XX/88SE94XX SAS/SATA
LSI Logic New Generation RAID Device (MEGARAID_NEWGEN)
LSI Logic MegaRAID SAS RAID
HighPoint RocketRAID 3xxx/4xxx Controller
IBM ServeRAID
Intel(R) C600 Series Chipset SAS
Qlogic QLA 1240/1x80/1x160 SCSI
QLogic ISP4XXX and ISP82XX
VMware PVSCSI driver

PATA
----

ATI PATA (PATA_ATIIXP)
AMD/NVidia PATA (PATA_AMD)
CMD64x PATA (PATA_CMD64X)
JMicron PATA (PATA_JMICRON)
Marvell PATA (PATA_MARVELL)
Promise PATA 2027x (PATA_PDC2027X)
Intel SCH PATA (PATA_SCH)
CMD / Silicon Image 680 PATA (PATA_SIL680) 
SiS PATA (PATA_SIS)
VIA PATA (PATA_VIA)
Winbond SL82C105 PATA (PATA_WINBOND)

ACPI
----

Fan (as module fan.ko)
AMD Opteron/Athlon64 PowerNow! (as module powernow-k8.ko)

HARDWARE MONITORING
-------------------

AMD Athlon64/FX or Opteron temperature sensor (SENSORS_K8TEMP)
AMD Family 10h+ temperature sensor (SENSORS_K10TEMP)
AMD Family 15h processor power (SENSORS_FAM15H_POWER) 
ASUS ATK0110 (as module asus_atk0110.ko)

Synology Hard Disk Monitor (SENSORS_SYNO_HDDMON)
 ¦ If you say yes here you get support for the Synology
 ¦ Hdd Monitor to monitor the hdds' presentation and to
 ¦ enable/disable the power supply of each hdd.

Hi,

Installed on Asus H871 - Plus motherboard

Works ok but usb not working

When inserting usb drive, nothing happends.

Any help would be much appriciated

to mjcmjc

I have the same problem on my Asus Gryphon Z87.

Specifications:

- Asus H87I+PLUS has H87 chipset

- Asus Gryphon Z87 has Z87 chipset

Both motherboards have:

- 6 x USB 3.0/2.0 port(s) (4 at back panel, blue, 2 at mid-board)

- 8 x USB 2.0/1.1 port(s) (4 at back panel, black, 4 at mid-board)

I did found out, that is something wrong in usbcore.ko modul, becouse this three files are not auto. loaded (hid.ko, usbhid.ko, usb-storage.ko).

If you replace usbcore.ko from ( http://pastebin.com/4vL65THx ) or https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34829066/Synology/Datoteke/USB%20issues/usbcore%20from%20pastebin/lib/modules/usbcore.ko)

in lib/modules & reboot the NAS, this three files are then present, but USB still not working.

I have changed usbportcfg="0xf00000" to usbportcfg="0xfffc0" & to usbportcfg="0xfffff" in /etc/synoinfo.conf but without results.

Don`t know what to do next ... so any advice is welcome

Latest working version has been 4.1.2668_1.3a

Hello,

I am using the Trantor 1.2 build with an HP MicroServer N34L.

I've tried modifying the grub file that comes with the 1.2 build as per the instructions here but when I do Synology Assistant seems to think that I have a RackStation and the web interface no longer works (and the box shows as migratable)

Removing the comment in front of hw_model seems to bring it back to life but DSM does not contain the MAC address that I have set.

This is what I have:

#serial --unit=0 --speed=115200

#terminal serial

default 0

timeout 3

fallback 0

#title DSM 4.2-3211++ Repack v1.2

title SYNOLOGY

root (hd0,0)

#vender /vender show

#hw_model

kernel /zImage root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=1 syno_hw_version=RS3612xs mac1=3C4A9277BA7C

initrd /rd.gz

Note that I have changed netif_num to 1 (from 4); commented out hw_model and vender /vender show; and change the title.

Can anyone see where I might have blown it?

Does anyone know why the mac address grub changes on v1.2 changes by box to a RackStation?

Thanks for the help.

Chris

I ran into the same issue. Found the same workaround. Took me almost a day to find the typo. The synoboot-trantor-4.2-3211-v1.2.img's menu.lst is wrong. This is the line with the problem:

kernel /zImage root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=1 syno_hw_version=RS3612xs mac1=3C4A9277BA7C

syno_hw_version=RS3612xs should be syno_hw_version=DS3612xs. There is no rackstation 3612xs. Also, your config will leave your unit without a serial number. I am new to synology/xpenology so I don't know if that will cause an issue. Try this:

kernel /zImage root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=1 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs mac1=3C4A9277BA7C sn=B3J4N00001

Edited by Guest

One more important thing to be aware of, when preparing GRUB.CONF before installation.

If you have only single onboard NIC, check that there is netif_num=1

This parameter can cause trouble with WOL.

Any attempt to change WOL settings in Control Panel/Hardware/General will get error message "Failed to set up WOL".

Hello,

I've tried modifying the grub file that comes with the 1.2 build as per the instructions here but when I do Synology Assistant seems to think that I have a RackStation and the web interface no longer works (and the box shows as migratable)

Removing the comment in front of hw_model seems to bring it back to life but DSM does not contain the MAC address that I have set.

This is what I have:

#terminal serial

default 0

timeout 3

fallback 0

title SYNOLOGY

root (hd0,0)

#vender /vender show

#hw_model

initrd /rd.gz

Note that I have changed netif_num to 1 (from 4); commented out hw_model and vender /vender show; and change the title.

Does anyone know why the mac address grub changes on v1.2 changes by box to a RackStation?

Thanks for the help.

Chris

In DSM 4.2 the best way to add your sn and MAC is edit vender file and do not add "#" before vender, hw_model in menu.lst.

Hello,

This is what I have:

#terminal serial

default 0

timeout 3

fallback 0

title SYNOLOGY

root (hd0,0)

#vender /vender show

#hw_model

initrd /rd.gz

Thanks for the help.

Chris

In DSM 4.2 the best way to add your sn and MAC is edit vender file and do not add "#" before vender, hw_model in menu.lst.

Why not? Modifying the grub file is easiest to do.

to mjcmjc

I have the same problem on my Asus Gryphon Z87.

Specifications:

- Asus H87I+PLUS has H87 chipset

- Asus Gryphon Z87 has Z87 chipset

Both motherboards have:

- 6 x USB 3.0/2.0 port(s) (4 at back panel, blue, 2 at mid-board)

- 8 x USB 2.0/1.1 port(s) (4 at back panel, black, 4 at mid-board)

I did found out, that is something wrong in usbcore.ko modul, becouse this three files are not auto. loaded (hid.ko, usbhid.ko, usb-storage.ko).

If you replace usbcore.ko from ( http://pastebin.com/4vL65THx ) or https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34829066/Synology/Datoteke/USB%20issues/usbcore%20from%20pastebin/lib/modules/usbcore.ko)

in lib/modules & reboot the NAS, this three files are then present, but USB still not working.

I have changed usbportcfg="0xf00000" to usbportcfg="0xfffc0" & to usbportcfg="0xfffff" in /etc/synoinfo.conf but without results.

Don`t know what to do next ... so any advice is welcome

Latest working version has been 4.1.2668_1.3a

The problem is not solved?

This is the news chipset aswell, i interesting a build a nas with ASRock's Z87E-ITX.

Hello,

This is what I have:

#terminal serial

default 0

timeout 3

fallback 0

title SYNOLOGY

root (hd0,0)

#vender /vender show

#hw_model

initrd /rd.gz

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Tried that many times, but on 4.2.3xxx any change to MAC in vender file will break current checksum and revert back to stock values.

You can locate this XX byte value in hex editor, it's appended to MAC value.

I ran into the same issue. Found the same workaround. Took me almost a day to find the typo. People on the forum should be more careful with what they post. This is the line with the problem:

syno_hw_version=RS3612xs should be syno_hw_version=DS3612xs. There is no rackstation 3612xs. Also, your config will leave your unit without a serial number. I am new to synology/xpenology so I don't know if that will cause an issue. Try this:

kernel /zImage root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=1 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs mac1=3C4A9277BA7C sn=B3J4N00001

I did a search for syno_hw_version=RS3612xs on the forum and there are many instances. Maybe a moderator can fix all the posts?

Thanks for the help! I'll give that a try now.

Chris

Also, your config will leave your unit without a serial number. I am new to synology/xpenology so I don't know if that will cause an issue. Try this:

Thanks for that too. I did have the default serial number in there but chopped it out while debugging.

I've recently been testing the notify via Instant Message (Skype) function in DSM and have seen a few messages that definitely did not come from my machines. My best guess is that the relay service is using the serial number of the box to relay specifically to me and someone else is using the same (default) serial number. So it may in deed matter.

One more important thing to be aware of, when preparing GRUB.CONF before installation.

Any attempt to change WOL settings in Control Panel/Hardware/General will get error message "Failed to set up WOL".

I wondered why WOL from control panel was not working. Are you saying that I should make sure that it IS there. Testing now.

Thanks!

I wondered why WOL from control panel was not working. Are you saying that I should make sure that it IS there? Testing now.

Mac and serial number is working fine now but no joy at all with WOL. DSMs control panel shows that I have 1 LAN adapter and it seems to work but when I try to activate WOL DSM tells me that it 'Failed to set up Wake on LAN".

The line currently reads:

kernel /zImage root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=1 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs mac1=3C4A9279C468 sn=B7J4N07343

Mac and serial number is working fine now but no joy at all with WOL. DSMs control panel shows that I have 1 LAN adapter and it seems to work but when I try to activate WOL DSM tells me that it 'Failed to set up Wake on LAN".

The line currently reads:

kernel /zImage root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=1 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs mac1=3C4A9279C468 sn=B7J4N07343

I have been struggling with WOL also. I finally got it to work on a Dell Latitude D630 and from what I can tell, if you can't toggle it on in DSM's control panel, it won't work. You can force the setting by modifying /etc/synoinfo.conf but I couldn't get WOL to work that way.

Updated: WOL can work even if you can't toggle the setting in DSMs Control panel, by modifying /etc/synoinfo.conf

Edited by Guest

Dear Community,

i have the following Problem:

1. on my HP ProLiant Server i only get the System working with usb stick, but not via harddisc.

i got on each reboot the grub 22 error (if i install the System on harddisc). how i can fix this so that i can user harddisc or usb stick?

2. how i can install this on esxi 5.1? i get the error message (wlan Problems with the synology assistant if i want install the System)

3. on virtualbox i dont get a ip via dhcp , and the same Problem like vmware (wlan Problems)

can you help me?

whats the correct Installation method for DSM on esxi and virtual box?

may greets thanks

iceget

Has anyone managed to test this on an HP Microserver (N40L and / or N54L)?

Thanks

Chris

Just in case anyone else is wondering or worried... I have successfully installed v1.2 on an N36L, N40L and and N54L with 4 and 5 x 1.5GB, 2GB and 4GB drves (various combinations) and 2GB -> 8GB RAM and various USB Bluetooth adapters.

With the exception of WOL (which I think that I can solve using info from some of the previous posts) and auto spindown and NFS (which I've not yet tested but did managed to fix on the the Nighthawk build)... Everything seems to be working very well.

1) Install 'The Bay' firmware on the Microserver. See here - http://www.avforums.com/forums/networki ... pport.html . It allows you to create a bootable USB stick that reflashes BIOS for you.

2) Adjust the BIOS settings to set all drive ports to AHCI

3) Create the USB or SD card image of - 'synoboot-trantor-4.2-3211-v1.2.img'... I use an SD card because it makes it easy to write protect the boot image. from this forum

4) Adjust the grub config file as per the previous few posts in this thread (yes... you should read them) so that you get the correct MAC address when the system boots.

5) Reboot (with the SD card inserred into the internal USB port and with the MicroServer attached to your network)

6) Use Synology Assistant to locate the new DiskStation

7) Use Synology Assistant to install 'XPEnology_trantor_v1.2_DSM_DS3612xs_3211.pat'

I suggest that, for the extra couple dollars it will cost, use a decent SD card reader and SD card. I use Transcend SD card readers (RDF5) and descent SDHC Class 10 cards from SanDisk but this is likely overkill.

I've done this so many times now I've got the whole process down to minutes and each time it's resulted in a perfect NAS box. It really is very easy.

All Hail Trantor!

Chris

Just in case anyone out there is interested... I've just managed to successfully upgrade an N40L from the Nighthawk build (DSM 4.2 3202) to the Trantor 1.2 build (DSM 4.2 3211).

I guess that I did this because I wanted all my DiskStations to be at the same revision and I guess because I was curious if it would work and I just happened to have a spare machine to test it on. I DO NOT recommend that you try this yourself without first backing up your data and take absolutely no responsibility for it going wrong :smile: . Software RAID can be extremely difficult to recover if broken. Backup your data before trying.

I started with a fresh machine and fresh drives (fully zeroed) that had TheBay BIOS installed (see previous post) and had been built as per the guide on page 21 of the '[sOLVED] HP Proliant N40L MicroServer native support' thread (because all my other DiskStations were built this way). I did not install iPKG or adjust the eSATA port configuration or install teh updated USB support libraries (because I wanted to see if the Trantor build could solve this problem itself) but did install several packages (AudioStation, DownloadStation, etc) and pre-loaded a couple terabytes of data onto the box (mostly media). After I had a fully configured DSM 4.2 3202 box I grit my teeth and tried the upgrade.

1) I created a new SD card using 'synoboot-trantor-4.2-3211-v1.2.img' and set the grub config file to match the test DiskStation so that the MAC address would be the same on the new machine.

2) I powered down the test DiskStation and rebooted using the new SD card

3) Once booted I used Synology Assistant to locate the DiskStation and opened up the install page. Note that the 'Status' should say 'Migratable'.

4) I selected Migration on the 'Installation Type' screen and then 'Install from my computer' using the 'XPEnology_trantor_v1.2_DSM_DS3612xs_3211.pat' file.

5) once started the first part of the upgrade went smoothly and the DiskStation rebooted.

6) the initial reboot took quite a bit longer than usual but I had a screen attached and at no point did the process stop in any way.

7) After several minutes I had a system running Trantor 1.2. All the initial packages were there and all the media that I had copied onto the test box was there. USB works perfectly... My keyboard and test Bluetooth adapter both function perfectly.

So... an upgrade does work... I take absolutely no responsibility for lost data or a broken Microserver and STRONGLY urge you to backup your system before trying this... but that said... it does seem to work...

Next I am going to use this box to backup my other 3202 boxes and attempt the upgrades on them... after this test however... I'm feeling pretty optimistic.

Now back to trig to get WOL working using the suggestions posted earlier.

Chris

Browse /etc/synoinfo.conf and find something like eth0_wol_options

eth0 should be primary NIC adapter.

WOL won't be set up unless it's put in magic packet mode.

Something like this: eth0_wol_options="g"

Setting eth0_wol_options="g" seems to force it to appear to be on but I still cannot use the DSM gui to change it and when off it will not wake from sleep using a magic packet sent from somewhere else on the network. Even after a reboot the change in configuration does not see m to take.

Thanks for suggesting

Chris

Browse /etc/synoinfo.conf and find something like eth0_wol_options

eth0 should be primary NIC adapter.

WOL won't be set up unless it's put in magic packet mode.

Something like this: eth0_wol_options="g"

Setting eth0_wol_options="g" seems to force it to appear to be on but I still cannot use the DSM gui to change it and when off it will not wake from sleep using a magic packet sent from somewhere else on the network. Even after a reboot the change in configuration does not see m to take.

Thanks for suggesting

Chris

Since you have access to a N36L and N40L, do a search in the forum for S99ZZZ_Shutdown. There is a thread '[sOLVED]Wake On LAN (WOL)' where they used S99ZZZ_Shutdown.sh to get WOL working. I don't have access to these Microservers and I couldn't use S99ZZZ_Shutdown.sh to get WOL to work on my hardware.