XPEnology Community

XPEnology DS3612xs DSM 4.2 build 3211++ (repack v1.2)

Now it's getting interesting:

I'm still a bit worried about all the suggestiosn to backup data before every update. If I have 4x 3TB HDDS full of content (e.g. movies), I would need 3 unused 3TB backup disks just for migration puirposes (which doesn't make sense I thinktry againIs there a way to have an expandable SHR for the DATA and one or two small disks (as separate volume) which host the system. If that could work, I just would need to backup these two small HDDS for the migration.

Is there anything, I don't understand?

I attempted an earlier update to 3211 (not this build) , and only 5 of my 6 disks were seen. It said my volume was corrupt, I couldn't save my 12tb that was on it (this is before we knew about changing config file settings to see 12+ disks). I wouldn'tbe able to migrate or willing to try again , unless this version saw my disks 'out of the box'.

Anyone have any info on this? The original 3211 saw my 6th as esata. Did not include it in the volume. Is this fixed at install?

So make sure you have the backup always. Always.

Final got this repack installed on my esx 5.1, added an extra disk as IDE 0:1, removed floppy and cd drive, reuploaded boot image after grub error 22.

Please help , i am loosing my nerves and become really crazy

i don't see at all what i am missing , i spent hours to get this repack working , i am in a loop , each time i reupload vmdk i get the configuration lost so install begin from scratch again and again !

i am on ESX 5.1 , i tested vmdk converted in vmware mode (ide) and ESX mode (SCSI) but that does not make any difference

what make me crazy is if we reupload initial vmdk how to not rebegin from scratch ?

i feel desperate , please advise

thx

XT

solved , i had to create a second IDE disk using vmware workstation then upload the full VM to my ESX , i can't add an IDE drive to the VM when created from ESX

Does two VM disks, are they IDE or SCSI?

Does spindown work for you?

For me installation is working, but when i shutdown the VM, attach my LSi raidcontroller, turn it on, it will auto power off the vm after 1 minute.

yes both disk are IDE and spin down works, auto power off happened to me when there was no support for the card.

Hi,

is a solution has been found for that problem ?

i run ESXi 5.1 on a proliant N40L , i got Xpenology working like a charm with the release from the ESX post since months , however with that release which i really want to have (newer version and VPN is working) , i am stuck , as soon as i start the VM with my 4 * RDM disks then the VM shutdown same as you

any clue will be very appreciated

Thanks!

XT

Thread for repack v1.1 had sunk, so posting here.

Using LSI 9211-8i IT and 3 2TB drives, 8GB RAM and 4.2 rp1.1 etc...

Had added 4th 2TB drive and expanded the volume.

Not only unit is extremely slow, took 3 minutes to log in and another 5 to update Drive Info, iSCISI is utterly slow.

Even worse, as seen on screen below in and hour expansion process completed 0.20%.

Wonder, had anyone else experienced same issue?

111.png.f9b1c209b4b75e09a18dcb1318520053.png

^Above, for the most part SOLVED:

http://www.ducea.com/2006/06/25/increase-the-speed-of-linux-software-raid-reconstruction/

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41469

Edit the speed of Linux software RAID reconstruction "speed_limit_min" to ~50Mbytes:

echo 50000 >/proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_limit_min

System is still laggy and unresponsive.

Speed jumps from 5 to 130Mbytes, but overall expand performance had increased.

^Above, for the most part SOLVED:

http://www.ducea.com/2006/06/25/increase-the-speed-of-linux-software-raid-reconstruction/

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41469

Edit the speed of Linux software RAID reconstruction "speed_limit_min" to ~50Mbytes:

echo 50000 >/proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_limit_min

System is still laggy and unresponsive.

Speed jumps from 5 to 130Mbytes, but overall expand performance had increased.

UPDATE: speed leveled at ~20-25Meg, but iSCSI, storage manager and most of the applications are still unusable.

Storage Manager window times out with "Check Network Connection" error, so as Package center app.

Shares can still be accessed with great delay.

I just installed XPenology on my new HW which is

• - Intel 1150 Board DH87RL
    - Intel i5-4570 Quadcore
    - 1x8GB RAM
    - 3x3TB WD Red
    - USB-Stick 1GB
    - BeQuiet NT 300W-L7

Installation worked fine, but I have some curious effects:

- if I open the App Information in the WEB-Administrator, it takes aprox. two minutes with loading.

Then the Gerenal Tab is empty while the rest is filled out with the right information

- I could access the box via Winscp as root and see two mounted volumes: volume 1 and volume 2.

Volume 1 includes all the folders of the different apps, but volume 2 is empty (where I would expect the system files and folders like vender, menu.lst, etc.

Do you have any ideas what happens there (volume 2 & Infos)? Maybe it has to do with the board and it's chipset (H87)?

BTW, HDD spindown does work, sleep not. But in spinned down mode, the box consumes just 25W (idle mode 31,5W, working mode 36W) which is alomost o.k. for the Quadcore power it has.

All the Best

myhtpc

Hi Many Thanks for the post, tried my hand at building a 8 bay nas with:

Motherboard: Asus H871 -plus

CPU Intel G3220 LGA1150

Silicon Image 2 port sata card on pcie bus

Ram 8GB

8 2TB hard disks

U Nas Server Chasis8 bay

OS DSM 4.2 build.

Still Testing on the bench, so far everything works with this new board, was worried that it would not work for lack of drivers.

Love the OS, I have the synology DS509+, it works exactly in the same manner, I haven't tested the power consumed with a power meter, have to dig out my old digital power meter

I have been following all the posts in the forum, however most of it's beyond me as I know very little Linux. as I am a 64 year old, happy to have gone this far.

Once Again many thanks

Well have to say thanks for this, have got it setup on my old pc, and it's working fine, but what I would like to do is make it so that I can add my LSI Megaraid SAS 8308ELP card to add more drives. Has anyone tried with a LSI card, as on a new install I keep getting configuration lost, but i'm sure it's not picking up the HDD's properly.

Any tips or advice?

Hallo everybod,

i have install the xpenology repack 1.2 on my Asus e35m1-i. Now i have a problem. after an hour i cant access the webinterface. i think my xpenology stoped working. ping doesnt work. First i think it´s the spindown from the hdd but if i disable this option the bug ist still there

What's new ?

- AMD CPU support

- Add / update Network / SATA / SCSI / SAS / USB drivers

- Add PATA support

- USB OHCI support

- SSH access enabled by default

- DM-Mirror support for LVM2 physical relocation (include dm-log, dm-region-hash and dm-mirror modules. thanks totalnas)

- LSI MPT HBA support (mpt2sas.ko load at boot in ramdrive)

- VMware support (PVSCSI and Balloon drivers)

- Add experimental support for acpi / powermanagement (manually insmod modules on supported hardware)

- Include bootstrap ipkg setup script (see changelog for details)

To convert .img file to .vdi (virtualbox)

Hi, I have installed on my asus H871-plus, with 6 sata 2GB disks, tried to employ hibernation for the hds, had an 828 error message. Any soloutions to this will be much appriciated.

Thanks

30-08-2013

Version 1.2 is now available : http://xpenology.trantor.be/ (please click on ad to help me with this project)

Known Issues:

WARNING : If you upgrade from 4.2-3202 v1.0 backup your data before upgrade !!

As usual give feedbacks :smile:

See changelog for full list of fix and supported hardware:

CHANGELOG

v1.2 (30/08/13)

- Fix boot hang issue with some marvell controllers (fixed sata_mv.c)
- Replace megaraid_sas driver with the latest one from LSI website
- Include bootstrap ipkg setup script (/root.profile is already modified) : after setup just log to ssh and type :
sh syno-i686-bootstrap_1.2-7_i686.xsh
reboot, log again to ssh and type 
ipkg update
ipkg upgrade

v1.1 (24/08/13)

- Upgrade to 4.2-3211 build
- Build latest aacraid drivers (Adaptec RAID 71xx/72xx/78xx and IBM ServeRAID adapters)
- Enabled /proc/acpi/event (build ACPI_PROC_EVENT)
- Build the VMware Balloon driver as module
- Fix issue that USB devices was detected as esata (modifying usbportcfg and esataportcfg in synoinfo.conf, maybe need some adjustment depending on harware)

v1.0 (06/08/13)

- The .config file is included in kernel
- SSH access enabled by default
- DM-Mirror support for LVM2 physical relocation (include dm-log, dm-region-hash and dm-mirror modules)
- LSI MPT HBA support (mpt2sas.ko load at boot in ramdrive)

NETWORK
-------

Replace the REALTEK r8169 driver with the r8168 v8.036 (RTL8111x/RTL8168x/RTL8411x)
REALTEK driver r8101 v1.024.00 (RTL8100x/RTL8101x/RTL8102x/RTL8103x/RTL8401x/RTL8105x/RTL8106x)
INTEL e1000e driver to v2.4.14 (support I217x and I218x chip)

3COM 3c590/3c900 series (592/595/597), 3cr990
AMD PCnet32
Atheros L2, L1
Atheros L1C (ATL1E)
Atheros L1E (ATL1E)
AMD 8111 (AMD8111_ETH)
D-LINK DL2000/TC902x-based Gigabit Ethernet (DL2K)
Broadcom 440x/47xx, NetExtremeII, CNIC, Tigon3 (HP NCxx)
Intel PRO/100+, PRO/1000, 82575/82576, 82586/82593/82596
JMicron JMC250 (jme)
Marvell Yukon
Marvell Yukon 2 (sky2) : 88E8021/88E8022/88E8035/88E8036/88E8038/88E8050/88E8052/88E8053/88E8055/88E8061/88E8062, SysKonnect SK-9E21D/SK-9S21
Nvidia nForce
QLogic QLA3XXX, QLCNIC
Realtek 8139,8129,8130,8169
SiS SiS900/7016, SiS190/SiS191
VIA Rhine (via-rhine) : (Rhine-I (VT86C100A), Rhine-II (VT6102), or Rhine-III (VT6105)
VMware vmxnet3

USB
---

USB_OHCI_HCD (thanks totalnas for the tip)

SATA
----

Intel ESB, ICH, PIIX3, PIIX4
Marvell
NVidia
Silicon Image 3124/3132
SiS 964/965/966/180
VIA SATA support (SATA_VIA)

SCSI
----

3ware 5/6/7/8xxx ATA-RAID
3ware 9xxx SATA-RAID
3ware 97xx SAS/SATA-RAID
HP Smart Array SCSI
Adaptec AIC7xxx (New Driver)
Adaptec AIC79xx U320
Adaptec AIC94xx SAS/SATA
Marvell 88SE64XX/88SE94XX SAS/SATA
LSI Logic New Generation RAID Device (MEGARAID_NEWGEN)
LSI Logic MegaRAID SAS RAID
HighPoint RocketRAID 3xxx/4xxx Controller
IBM ServeRAID
Intel(R) C600 Series Chipset SAS
Qlogic QLA 1240/1x80/1x160 SCSI
QLogic ISP4XXX and ISP82XX
VMware PVSCSI driver

PATA
----

ATI PATA (PATA_ATIIXP)
AMD/NVidia PATA (PATA_AMD)
CMD64x PATA (PATA_CMD64X)
JMicron PATA (PATA_JMICRON)
Marvell PATA (PATA_MARVELL)
Promise PATA 2027x (PATA_PDC2027X)
Intel SCH PATA (PATA_SCH)
CMD / Silicon Image 680 PATA (PATA_SIL680) 
SiS PATA (PATA_SIS)
VIA PATA (PATA_VIA)
Winbond SL82C105 PATA (PATA_WINBOND)

ACPI
----

Fan (as module fan.ko)
AMD Opteron/Athlon64 PowerNow! (as module powernow-k8.ko)

HARDWARE MONITORING
-------------------

AMD Athlon64/FX or Opteron temperature sensor (SENSORS_K8TEMP)
AMD Family 10h+ temperature sensor (SENSORS_K10TEMP)
AMD Family 15h processor power (SENSORS_FAM15H_POWER) 
ASUS ATK0110 (as module asus_atk0110.ko)

Synology Hard Disk Monitor (SENSORS_SYNO_HDDMON)
 ¦ If you say yes here you get support for the Synology
 ¦ Hdd Monitor to monitor the hdds' presentation and to
 ¦ enable/disable the power supply of each hdd.

Awesome work Trantor!

I was wondering if this image will work native on the N40L and / or N54L HP microserver?

Thanks!

I think all drivers are included but you maybe need to tweak synoinfo.cfg (esata, usb, internalport) to reflect your hardware.

Has anyone managed to test this on an HP Microserver (N40L and / or N54L)?

Thanks

Chris

Hi

I have some issues with this build (DS3612xs DSM 4.2 build 3211++ (repack v1.2)) i installed this on "new" workstation, and moved all my data, but are close to reinstall to 4.1. My parallel setup on VMware DSM 4.1 DS3612 do not have the same issues and all seems to work.

Issues i have on 4.2

- PhotoStation only update to V.5 (my DSM 4.1 in VMware i have the option to photoStation 6 Beta and it works fine)

- Plex Mediaserver: i can install latest version (0.9.8.6.175), but the service wont start. Now if i uninstall and use standard verison it wont run either. error message : could not run package service.

- DSM update: If i try to manual update with same pack (repack v.1.2) i get the message "could not run DSM update, because this DSM is an older version" (I havent tried new installation because of all my data)

Do anyone have these issues or maybe a trick to handle the above issues. I Am worried that i have an unstable installation/system.

I can't seem to change mac adress, can someone please help me??

What to change, and where??

//

Guldhammer

HELLO is it possible to get some help here???????????? :?:

Yes we can :smile:

take out your usb

download and install : http://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-windows/

plug the usb into you windows system, mount the usb -> open the file named menu.lst with notepad++, in the dir boot\grub

edit the file to

#serial --unit=0 --speed=115200

#terminal serial

default 0

timeout 3

fallback 0

title DSM 4.2-3211++ Repack v1.2

root (hd0,0)

#vender /vender show

#hw_model

kernel /zImage root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs mac1=yourmacaddress mac2=yourmacaddress

initrd /rd.gz

save the file

and reboot the NAS

goodluck

//

Guldhammer

take out your usb

plug the usb into you windows system, mount the usb -> open the file named menu.lst with notepad++, in the dir boot\grub

edit the file to

#terminal serial

default 0

timeout 3

fallback 0

root (hd0,0)

#vender /vender show

#hw_model

kernel /zImage root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs mac1=yourmacaddress mac2=yourmacaddress

initrd /rd.gz

save the file

and reboot the NAS

goodluck

What so if i only have 1 mac adress, i mean i only have 1 netcard, should i so write the same mac adress in both mac1 and mac2??

Guldhammer

//

Guldhammer

take out your usb

edit the file to

#terminal serial

default 0

timeout 3

fallback 0

root (hd0,0)

#vender /vender show

#hw_model

initrd /rd.gz

save the file

and reboot the NAS

goodluck

Where do i change the Serialnumber (SN)??

Thanks for the help, i have changed my mac adress and it works.

//

Guldhammer

Just joined, first post got my HP N54L last night, got wol working using this grub.conf...

#terminal serial

default 0

timeout 0

fallback 0

title SYNOLOGY

root (hd0,0)

# cksum /grub_cksum.syno

# vender /vender show

# hw_model

kernel /zImage root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=1 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs mac1=yourmac sn=yourserial

initrd /rd.gz

Take note of the hard drive in your existing setup mine is root (hd0,0) I've noticed a few have a fallback to (hd1,0) I havent added that yet (if the first hdd fails it will autoload the dsm from the 2nd one)

# cksum /grub_cksum.syno has to be there or you will get an error and a random mac address

netif_num=1 changes the network interfaces that come up in the dsm, if you have more than one change that to suit your needs and add extra mac2= mac3= etc.

I have set the timeout to 0 so theres delay.