XPEnology Community

XPEnology DS3612xs DSM 4.2 build 3211++ (repack v1.2)

from other posts, to change Mac address, just add "mac1=xxxxxxxxx" to the grub.conf file within the boot image. THis doesn't work. Has anyone tried to change the mac address?

In that same folder there is a menu file, try to change that file

the menu file is symlinked to the grub.conf file, which i did added the mac1 and sn flag after the boot parameter. The Mac address didn't change after the unit boots up. Some other threads mention i need a hex editor to modify the vendor file. SO i wonder if anyone of you tried, and which method works for you.

Does any one know how to change the "XPenology 4.2" logo? i would like to place my logo there.

/usr/syno/synoman/webman/resources/images/login, here you can find the logos

Hi, home made logo (« Syno like ») (.psd available as attachment) :

[attachment=1]logo_1.png[/attachment]

Have fun :wink:

wow, it looks a lot better than the original one. What is .psd file?

Other question I have:

the Optware's default install dir is to /volume1 , how can I change the install to /volume2 ? I don't want to create symlink because my volume 1 is a 4 disk RAID5. I want to minimize its access, and put all apps to /volume2 .

the menu file is symlinked to the grub.conf file, which i did added the mac1 and sn flag after the boot parameter. The Mac address didn't change after the unit boots up. Some other threads mention i need a hex editor to modify the vendor file. SO i wonder if anyone of you tried, and which method works for you.

Just comment out the vender line. After that, the custom MAC address will be applied.

Just installed this version (upgrade hack from the gerbenz version) and I must add my thanks. With the default one, my N54l would lose the SATA settings for the additional two drives and they'd disappear from synology. With the PATA drivers being in this release, the drives are visible (the BIOS is still corrupted, but doesn't seem to cause any other problems). Even using PATA drivers, the speed over the network is 80 or so MB for writing to these drives, so definitely still in GB network speeds and easily fast enough for any streaming requirements.

Is there any setup that allows for HDDs to spin down?

ESXi with DSM

Native DSM on Microserver

DSM on SSD

Think of this as a workaround to software not allowing them to spin down.

spindown for a second volume on a RAID controller was not working.

spindown for a third volume on a onboard RAID controller was not working.

Everything is installed on the first volume, second and third volume is only for data like movies

Regards

Final got this repack installed on my esx 5.1, added an extra disk as IDE 0:1, removed floppy and cd drive, reuploaded boot image after grub error 22.

Please help , i am loosing my nerves and become really crazy

i don't see at all what i am missing , i spent hours to get this repack working , i am in a loop , each time i reupload vmdk i get the configuration lost so install begin from scratch again and again !

i am on ESX 5.1 , i tested vmdk converted in vmware mode (ide) and ESX mode (SCSI) but that does not make any difference

what make me crazy is if we reupload initial vmdk how to not rebegin from scratch ?

i feel desperate , please advise

thx

XT

first of all thanks a lot for this great piece of software;-)

As my DS413 isn't able to run my PLEX Server, I'd like to use my Server Hardware (Biostar AM3 Board with Quadcore CPU, 12GB Ram and SSD as Systewm + 3x3TB WD Red + Difital Devices Dual SAT DVB-S2 Card) which is currently running Server 2012 Essentials.

I've detached all my HDDS and used a USB Stick with an empty WD Red 3TB to play with XPEnology and installation worked without any problems. I now have the following questions / issues:

My Server (with 4 HDDS) was running with 40W idle, my XPEnology is running wirg 1 HDD at 64W.

Are there any power saving features included?

If so, How could I configure them?

I've configured HDDs spindown after 10 min. => doesn't seem to work (under Win all HDDs spin down)

How could I configure, that the systems goes into S3 mode (working under Windows with 2W) when I shut down via the WEB or automatically after xx minutes idle?

I'm still struggling with WoL configuration, but without Standby (S3) WoL doesn't help, so first I need to solve the other points

Lots of questions, but I hope you have some answers for me;-)

all the best

myhtpc

Update:

with

Just comment out the vender line. After that, the custom MAC address will be applied.

I have at least my right MAC recognized. Still couldn't test WoL as I couldn't get my System to shutdown into S3 mode being ready for WoL

is there a dedicated system disc? I thought the USB stick is the system-boot and all the rest is distributed across all other disks.

No, Synology uses a distributed system for disk management.

In DSM's eyes, you can have two types of main disks: initialized and uninitialized.

Initialized means that DSM created a custom partition layout on the disk, taking up some space for the OS root, swap, and tries to add a bootloader too (without success, may I add, hence the need of the boot USB). The remaining space then can be used as storage. This way the OS always survives, even if there's only one disk functioning (and initialized, not even necessarily used!).

Now it's getting interesting:

I'm still a bit worried about all the suggestiosn to backup data before every update. If I have 4x 3TB HDDS full of content (e.g. movies), I would need 3 unused 3TB backup disks just for migration puirposes (which doesn't make sense I think). Is there a way to have an expandable SHR for the DATA and one or two small disks (as separate volume) which host the system. If that could work, I just would need to backup these two small HDDS for the migration.

Is there anything, I don't understand?

Now it's getting interesting:

I'm still a bit worried about all the suggestiosn to backup data before every update. If I have 4x 3TB HDDS full of content (e.g. movies), I would need 3 unused 3TB backup disks just for migration puirposes (which doesn't make sense I think).

Is there anything, I don't understand?

The main thing that you don't understand is the importance of the regular backup. You should have means of backing up all of your valuable data regardless of your migration desire. Be it on the extremal drives, DVD-Rs or some other storage. You have a chance of loosing all of your movies collection due the hardware problems, theft or other disaster.

How important it is for you - your decision. Suggestion to backup is just that - suggestion. You don't have to follow it and gamble with your data every time you do major changes and in between, with normal usage of hardware that eventually will fail.