XPEnology Community

XPEnology DS3612xs DSM 4.2 build 3211++ (repack v1.2)

Trantor,

I've been able to successfully build a custom version of sata_mv.ko and can load it properly using my Marvell 88SX6081 PCI-X card.

Original source

https://raw.github.com/robclark/kernel- ... /sata_mv.c

My modification to the above source (sata_mv.c) and the kernel module (sata_mv.ko).

[attachment=0]working sata_mv.zip[/attachment]

I think Synology's sata_mv.c is broken. Could you review my code and possibly include it in your future builds as a built-in module or LKM?

Thanks.

Wow great, what did you patch/modified ? Is this the sata_mv.c from 4.3 branch ?

DSM is not shutdowning with sata_mv as module ?

Yes of course if this fix issue it will be included in next repack :wink:

Trantor ...

I know that is not the right time, because you're busy with a new release ... but

With each new updated version, for which we are very grateful, we all need to :

- install IPKG & some basic packages (usbutils, ... )

- enable Apache log (/usr/syno/apache/conf/httpd.conf-sys)

- activate WOL (wake on lan) > http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=665&hilit=wake

- 6 disk is recognized as an eSATA drive

- etc ...

Is it possible that the new version already contain all these things ???

Regards.

I thought you all used this to work in console ... , becouse some commands in console are not identified or unknown.

With IPKG command in console I can install packages like > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/syno-i686/cross/unstable/

I allways use these instructions to install IPKG:

mkdir /volume1/@tmp

cd /volume1/@tmp

wget http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optwa ... 7_i686.xsh

chmod +x syno-i686-bootstrap_1.2-7_i686.xsh

sh syno-i686-bootstrap_1.2-7_i686.xsh

ipkg update

ipkg upgrade

edit file .profile in /root (add # before this two lines)

#PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/syno/sbin:/usr/syno/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin

#export PATH

save on exit

reboot

WIKI: http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/Overview_on_modifying_the_Synology_Server,_bootstrap,_ipkg_etc#for_compiled.2Fbinary_programs

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

one more link (arm ver.): http://www.nas-storage-blog.com/installing-ipkg-package-management-on-synology.html

Trantor,

I've been able to successfully build a custom version of sata_mv.ko and can load it properly using my Marvell 88SX6081 PCI-X card.

Original source

My modification to the above source (sata_mv.c) and the kernel module (sata_mv.ko).

I think Synology's sata_mv.c is broken. Could you review my code and possibly include it in your future builds as a built-in module or LKM?

Thanks.

Wow great, what did you patch/modified ? Is this the sata_mv.c from 4.3 branch ?

So I just randomly found a v1.28 sata_mv.c source file in the above link. This source didn't initially build due to some unresolved functions. I just simply replaced the offending lines with lines from syno's sata_mv.c. After building, I was able to insmod it and it loaded all the drives on the Marvell controller without the errors I had previously noted. Let me play with this source a bit more later today. So far it's kind of voodoo magic that I got this working at all. Let me go and dig around for a vanilla sata_mv.c for comparison.

Anyhow, the bottomline is that syno's sata_mv.c is heavily modified to the point of broken for my card. As I've demonstrated, it is possible to have a working driver. I just need to spend some more time trying to figure out what exactly changed in the syno version for it to be so broken. I'll post updates as I progress. In the meantime, could you detail out your build toolchain, source, and environment? Perhaps a recipe file that someone like myself can follow so we have fewer problems when merging our work. How about a source code repo?

Also, do you know anything about the latest 4.3 GPL source and toolchain? Is it good enough to use for anything?

Synology NAS GPL Source

To build 4.2 I use:

- Tool Chains (DSM 4.2 ) / Intel x86 Linux 3.2.11 (Bromolow) x64

- Kernel source from Synology GPL / 3201branch (synogpl-3201-bromolow.tbz) with patch from andy's git

To build 4.3 I use:

- Tool Chains (DSM 4.3 ) / Intel x86 Linux 3.2.40 (Bromolow) x64

- Kernel source from Synology GPL / 3776branch (synogpl-3776-bromolow.tbz) with patch from andy's git

At the moment 4.3 kernel/modules compil fine, DSM 4.3 installed okay, but says that abnormal error occured and unmount all volumes....

After that no disk/volume are shows in storage manager :sad:

For your sata_mv, have you succeed to built it inside the kernel (not as module) and boot to check if everythings ok ?

sata_mv is one of the base storage driver for syno, I think lot of things rely on it.

Trantor ...

I know that is not the right time, because you're busy with a new release ... but

With each new updated version, for which we are very grateful, we all need to :

- install IPKG & some basic packages (usbutils, ... )

- enable Apache log (/usr/syno/apache/conf/httpd.conf-sys)

- activate WOL (wake on lan) > http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=665&hilit=wake

- 6 disk is recognized as an eSATA drive

- etc ...

Is it possible that the new version already contain all these things ???

Regards.

IPKG would definitely come handy, but I disagree with the other options.

Many don't want Apache logging. For example, my server is running perfectly now, so no need for extra processes taking computing power from transcoding.

WOL fucks up my BIOS in a major way. It might not apply to you, but many motherboards get their CMOS scrambled once you enable any kind of BIOS editing inside Synology.

Disk recognition is also a per-device setting. You have to figure out which port is what, and edit synoinfo according to the results. Maybe your ports would match a few computers, but it would just cause further problems to us.

So, yes, IPKG can be included, but all the other options are personal preferences that many don't want to have in their initial install.

To build 4.3 I use:

- Tool Chains (DSM 4.3 ) / Intel x86 Linux 3.2.40 (Bromolow) x64

- Kernel source from Synology GPL / 3776branch (synogpl-3776-bromolow.tbz) with patch from andy's git

At the moment 4.3 kernel/modules compil fine, DSM 4.3 installed okay, but says that abnormal error occured and unmount all volumes....

After that no disk/volume are shows in storage manager :sad:

Does this happen during the initial boot with empty drives, or after you initialized all of them? If latter, I think it might be a collision in the SATA driver, maybe the one for your controller is misbehaving. Please post exact log messages (screenshot via phone/camera is fine), and we can run a diff on the storage drivers source code to find the problem.

Does this happen during the initial boot with empty drives, or after you initialized all of them? If latter, I think it might be a collision in the SATA driver, maybe the one for your controller is misbehaving. Please post exact log messages (screenshot via phone/camera is fine), and we can run a diff on the storage drivers source code to find the problem.

I test my "pre" 4.3 build on 2 platform : intel (asus pk5pl-am se which use ata_piix driver) and amd (zotac AD01 minipc)

Test with blank disk and with 4.2-3211 on it : same issue (install ok reboot syno assistant happy, log into DSM all is working exept this volume/disk error)

No error on screen neither in logs :sad:

Compiled modules (like ethernet/raid) loads and work.

I have try to just repack originals files with just pacthed synobios. But even if I include sata driver as module in rd.gz, I'm unable to install because no disk detected

The idea is to test with original kernel and modules if it working.

I will post it if you want to test

EDIT:

This build is not working and it's for debug and testing purpose only

Here it is : 4.3 Test Build

EDIT2:

fdisk -l return nothing...

When DSM is started, I plug USB drive, it's mounted and available (fdisk see it) but after 10-15sec it's unmouted (fdisk return nothing).

It seem something is running and auto unmout drive.

Can someone plz explain how to resolve the Grub error 22 after reboot???

When I try to install this repack installation starts and during install a reboot is done, after reboot I get the Grub error 22.

Found on this forum you should re-upload the vmdk to your datastore. I did this, the VM boots, waited till countdown ends and followed the link to log in to dsm but then I get configuration lost..

I'm installing in ESX 5.1, I know a lot of people have this issue but I can't seem to find a real solution here..

Could someone plz make a small effort to answer this. I'm quite out of patience with this, tried so many things and spend so many hours for a 'simple' install..

Thx

Ok, i got past the grub 22 error like this onm esx5.1:

New virtual machine -> custom->Version 8->Linux Other 2.6.x 64Bit

Network card is VMXnet 3

Create New IDE disk 0:1 for datadisk

Add ide converted synoboot img as IDE 0:0

Power on

Serach for it with synology assistant

Install and unselect create RAID SHR

Assign IP and start the install (here it stops at formatting, console output shows some stuff)

Go to http://youripofdiskstation and install using Install DSM from my computer

Then start the install

After the install it will reboot and give grub 22 error

Power down and re-upload synoboot image for ide 0:0

Then power up

It will work, but also no disks :sad:

LSI controller is still not being supported, I wonder?

I have IBM1015 flashed with LSI 9211-8i IT and none of the releases, including 4.3 would not pick up the drives.

4.3 at least will tell that there no drives connected, 4.2 v1.1 will attempt to install but after restart it'll "loose config".

Update:

Successfully installed 4.2 on the hdd connected to one of the local SATA ports, now 2 out of 3 HDDs connected to LSI controller are recognized.

For the third, have to unplug and plug SATA cable back in, but it detects HDD as eSATA.

LSI bios detects all 3 HDDs on every boot.

I have IBM1015 flashed with LSI 9211-8i IT and none of the releases, including 4.3 would not pick up the drives.

4.3 at least will tell that there no drives connected, 4.2 v1.1 will attempt to install but after restart it'll "loose config".

Update:

Successfully installed 4.2 on the hdd connected to one of the local SATA ports, now 2 out of 3 HDDs connected to LSI controller are recognized.

For the third, have to unplug and plug SATA cable back in, but it detects HDD as eSATA.

Strange i have a m1015 as a lsi 9240 in it mode and i see all the disks, for me its working perfectly, i installed dsm on a onboard sata disk, and used all the m1015 disks as a second volume.

Maybe you need to check synoinfo and make some adjustments for the internalportcfg, couple of pages back there is a discussion about it.

Update:

This is definitely due to internalportcfg esataportcfg values. You need to modify /etc.defaults/synoinfo.cfg and reboot

See this post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1028&start=80#p5413

Ok, i got past the grub 22 error like this onm esx5.1:

New virtual machine -> custom->Version 8->Linux Other 2.6.x 64Bit

Network card is VMXnet 3

Create New IDE disk 0:1 for datadisk

Add ide converted synoboot img as IDE 0:0

Power on

Serach for it with synology assistant

Install and unselect create RAID SHR

Assign IP and start the install (here it stops at formatting, console output shows some stuff)

Go to http://youripofdiskstation and install using Install DSM from my computer

Then start the install

After the install it will reboot and give grub 22 error

Power down and re-upload synoboot image for ide 0:0

Then power up

It will work, but also no disks :sad:

I tried exactly the same things, in my case the installation never succeeded. I keep getting configuration lost after reupload so I have to reïnstall and get in an endless loop.

@Trantor:

Could you please help us how to resolve this problem? I would really like to use your repack on my esx 5.1 U1

Thx

Trantor,

Original source

Thanks.

Trantor,

I've gotten kernel.org's 3.2.30 sata_mv.c to build as a built-in module and it works just fine. Disregard the previous attachment.

Instead, all you have to do is replace drivers/ata/sata_mv.c with the one (3.2.30) from kernel.org. It will build just fine.

Link to source tree to 3.2.30 https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel ... .30.tar.xz

Could you make a test zImage with this for me to test?

I built with official sata_mv.c from kernel.org but system start and shutdown after 30sec.

I see error about gpio when booting so I add syno_sata_mv_gpio_write function in sata_mv.c and like your voodoo magic... it's boot :mrgreen:

Everything seem to work fine.

Patched kernel for marvell

diff file between original sata_mv.c and syno's one

Feedbacks please :wink:

I built with official sata_mv.c from kernel.org but system start and shutdown after 30sec.

I see error about gpio when booting so I add syno_sata_mv_gpio_write function in sata_mv.c and like your voodoo magic... it's boot :mrgreen:

Is this this the possible fix for your issue with DSM 4.3?

Hi,

first of all thx for making this available...

My issue is, that i only see 4 drives in the "HDD Management" section, but I have 18 sata ports (10 on my motherboard and 8 on 2 cards). I currently tested with 6 drives, no matter where I connect them, only 4 are shown.

Hopefully just a configuration issue?

Connected via SSH I can see all drives with "fdisk -l" and I'm able to mount them.

My Hardware:

- Case: Inter-tech IPC 3U-3316L with 4 SAS backplanes

- Motherboard: ASRock Z87 EXTREME6

- CPU: i5 4670T (Haswell)

- Controller: 2x Highpoint Rocket 640L

Any idea why I can only see 4 disks at a time?

Another issue, far less pressing, is that any external USB3 drive is not recognized (but I can mount it via fdisk/mount).

*** UPDATE ***

I changed my synoinfo.conf to:

esataportcfg="0x000000"

usbportcfg="0xfc0000"

internalportcfg="0x03ffff"

Now I can connect 14 drives, the 4 on the AsMedia connector on the MB are not shown in the GUI (but can see them with fdisk -l).

In "HDD Management" I can see Disk 1-10 and Disk 15-18.

I'll try setting "usbportcfg" to 0x00000 tomorrow.

Edited by Guest

Is this this the possible fix for your issue with DSM 4.3?

Trantor, your zImage-4.2-marvell is working beautifully. No hangs, no shutdowns, and all drives on Marvell controller is now working at correct mode and speed. They are properly detected even after reboots. Thank you so much for helping me to get this working. Please include this in your next release.

Could you post your a copy of your modified sata_mv.c that is making this work?

does the vpn work in this build?. I am trying one that was posted and it does not work at all :sad: I have a real synology and the vpn works fine. It updated to 4.3 but im pretty certain 4.2 and 4.3 has nothing to do with the vpn server functioning right or not/. the server will run but no users can connect using pptp using 4.2 3211