XPEnology Community

XPEnology DS3612xs DSM 4.2 build 3211++ (repack v1.2)

Today i successfully updated my system to V1.1, everything migrated well.

I still have 1 issue with my RAID controller, every time when i reboot the system i said that my RAID 5 config is broken, i need to hit repair and in 5 seconds its back online.

eSATA is now USB, thanks for that

I still have 1 issue with my RAID controller, every time when i reboot the system i said that my RAID 5 config is broken, i need to hit repair and in 5 seconds its back online.

You migrate from 3202 build and you didn't loose any data ?

I test this on 3 computers and I loose everything on each.

You migrate from 3202 build and you didn't loose any data ?

I test this on 3 computers and I loose everything on each.

During the installation i could those 3 options, 1 of them was migrate, for safely i removed my raid controller, but the other disks successfully migrated, after the migration i installed the raid card again and everything was working. couple of things i had to change myself.

I'm looking on IBM website but the link for latest IBM ServeRAID M Series and MR10 driver is dead :sad:

I think using driver from IBM instead of adaptec may solve this issue.

EDIT: After downloading the sources, it seems that the driver inside the archive is LSI megaraid_sas... I will look to update this ^^

EDIT2: Does the aacraid module is even loaded on your system ? (I suspect your card is handle by megaraid_sas as I discovered in IBM package)

Thanks for the builds trantor I'm just having a few issues, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I upgraded from the 3202 build to fix the usb recognizing as esata issue. However, now one of my sata ports recognizes as esata.

The hardware I'm running on is a Intel Atom d2700 motherboard with 2x Silicon Image SiI3132 SATALink PCI Express to 2-Port Serial ATA II Host Controller.

I'm relatively new to xpenology so I'm not really sure where to begin to fix the issue.

Trantor ...

Sorry for the delay, on Saturday morning lightning destroyed my modem, switch and one port on my router.

Service support over the weekend is very poor :cry:

TNX again ... vor new rebuild ... I will suggest you for the man of the year

Migration from 4.2-3202 to 4.2.3211 works.

One of my sata ports is recognizes as esata:

esata.jpg

USB not working "by me".

Edited by Guest

@stuhad and @interested : I think your issue is related to the internalport and esataportcfg settings inside /etc/synoinfo.cfg

Depending on your motherboard the result of these may differ... so you have to "play" with it.

It's look something like this in /etc/synoinfo.cfg :

esataportcfg="0x10"

tusbportcfg="0xfffc0" to interested: try something crazy like 0xfffffff to see if USB still not working ^^

internalportcfg="0xfff" try 0xffff

EDIT : You may need to edit both /etc/synoinfo.cfg and /etc.defaults/synoinfo.cfg

Some informations I found on the Microserver thread (yes it's not that easy to understand):

For the N40l there is 6 ports, the internal ones are 1(left) to 4 (right). so is left 0 and 5
The easiest to identify the port number is to connect a disk on the ports, look at the port number in the storage manager and generate the masks as below:
. internalportcfg="0x1e" = 1e (hex) = 00011110 (binary) = four internal SATA ports enabled (on mask 1-4)
. esataportcfg="0x21" = 21 (hex) = 00100001 (binary)= two ESATA ports (0,5) (because 1-4 internal ICH9R sata ports).

The N40l has 6 sata ports (4 sata, 1 eSata, 1 optical Sata) and 6 USB ports.
. esataportcfg="0x10" (binary 01 0000) (1 eSata ) or "0x30" (binary 11 0000) (2 eSata if using small form factor sata to eSata bracket)
. internalportcfg="0x2f" (binary 10 1111) (5 sata) or "0xf" (binary 00 1111) (4 sata if using small form factor sata to eSata bracket)
. usbportcfg="0xfc1" for 7 usb ports 1 1111 1100 0000. trying to identify the internal USB port to not show the disconnect icon for the usb key

6 x sata >>> works

I modified the /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf (to recognize the eSATA port as internal)

Here's what I changed for the following values:

esataportconfig="0x00000"
internalportcfg="0xff"

sata_6.jpg

Solution is from this side >>> http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460222/how-to-roll-your-own-synology-diskstation-for-nas-update-5-28-2013-dsm-4-2-3211/270

Trantor, USB not working with suggested values.

6 x sata >>> works

I modified the /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf (to recognize the eSATA port as internal)

Here's what I changed for the following values:

esataportconfig="0x00000"
internalportcfg="0xff"

According to ASUS website your mainboard as no esata port so set esataportconfig="0x0" is right.

You have 6 satas ports on it, I think you can set internalportcfg="0x3f" (0b00111111). If you can test this value to confirm.

If I'm right when you have esataportconfig="0x10" and internalportcfg="0xfff" the first bit were in conflict and DSM goes crazy and detect your drive "twice" (sata + esata).

0x10 : 0000 0001 0000

0xfff : 1111 1111 1111

Great info! I've been following this thread and the dsm 4.1 thread for some time now. I'm new to this forum and to dsm in general

I've been trying to get dsm 4.2 to install on my supermicro x7spa working with either the lsi raid 9650se or lsi raid 9750. It works fine with the onboard SATA ports but can get it to install with either raid controllers...it fails. With trantor's modded build(s), I was able to get through the initial install process...but when it reboots it loses all its settings/files. The synology assistant is stalled at the point where it wants to write the final configuration. Any ideas? I have the drives raided under the lsi bios...should I set it up with no raid t all and have the dsm os create the raid?

I'm looking on IBM website but the link for latest IBM ServeRAID M Series and MR10 driver is dead :sad:

I think using driver from IBM instead of adaptec may solve this issue.

EDIT: After downloading the sources, it seems that the driver inside the archive is LSI megaraid_sas... I will look to update this ^^

EDIT2: Does the aacraid module is even loaded on your system ? (I suspect your card is handle by megaraid_sas as I discovered in IBM package)

I guess my card is handled by the megaraid_sas, because my card is seen as a LSI 9240.

Hey Trantor and other XPEnology users.

I was able to install this DS3612xs DSM 4.2 build 3211++ (repack v1.1) on an old Sony VAIO laptop.

now I have the following question:

I had a Synology DS1511+ with an extra DX510 (S-ata) expansion bay: 10 disks in total.

The Synology DS1511+ failed (send to Synology but no repair possible - mainboard broken, I got back my money from the reseller because device was still under warranty).

Now I have huge issues recovering the data on my disks. Tried already with Ubuntu and some mdadm commands

commands I used

sudo apt-get install mdadm

sudo mdadm --assemble --scan

sudo apt-get install lvm2

sudo vgscan --mknodes

I was able to recover data from a pair of 2 disks in SHR but not my RAID volumes that contained 3 disks.

Can I use the XPenology software to recover my disks ?

for example If I connect for example 3 disks in synology Hybrid raid to the system, will it recognize this as being a normal SHR volume (as it was on my ds1511+)

or do I need to find a mainboard with enough S-ata connections to connect the hard disks directly to the mainboard.

will the system automatically recognize the disks coming from my synology or do I need to perform some tweaks ?

2nd question:

if I install the xpenology software on a laptop or pc with a s-ata connector, will I be able to connect my DX510 (Synology 5 disk expansion module) to the laptop and use it ?

thanks in advance for your answer, great work making this software available on all pc's !

keep on the good work.

If I would be able to recover all my data I will be the poster of the solution thankfull forever !

I guess my card is handled by the megaraid_sas, because my card is seen as a LSI 9240.

I remove the built-in driver and compil the latest one frome LSI website.

Try this : http://xpenology.trantor.be/megaraid_sa ... _zImage.7z

Just replace zImage and rd files on your USB stick.

Did you manage to install DSM on your LSI card or you have standard SATA drive with DSM on it ? (see Psyclops-1's question)

Can I use the XPenology software to recover my disks ?

2nd question:

if I install the xpenology software on a laptop or pc with a s-ata connector, will I be able to connect my DX510 (Synology 5 disk expansion module) to the laptop and use it ?

1) I highly recommand you to use "standard" linux box to recover your data : http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic ... 60&t=51393

2) Don't install xpenology on laptop as the kernel as no support for it. The DS3612xs is not in the supported list of your DX510 but you can try to see what happend (of course after backing up all data).

Great info! I've been following this thread and the dsm 4.1 thread for some time now. I'm new to this forum and to dsm in general

I've been trying to get dsm 4.2 to install on my supermicro x7spa working with either the lsi raid 9650se or lsi raid 9750. It works fine with the onboard SATA ports but can get it to install with either raid controllers...it fails. With trantor's modded build(s), I was able to get through the initial install process...but when it reboots it loses all its settings/files. The synology assistant is stalled at the point where it wants to write the final configuration. Any ideas? I have the drives raided under the lsi bios...should I set it up with no raid t all and have the dsm os create the raid?

I have same issue with my 9211-4i controller. Tested with and without logical volume on LSI card same issue.

I will try to flash it with IT firmware today.

I remove the built-in driver and compil the latest one frome LSI website.

Try this : http://xpenology.trantor.be/megaraid_sa ... _zImage.7z

Just replace zImage and rd files on your USB stick.

Did you manage to install DSM on your LSI card or you have standard SATA drive with DSM on it ? (see Psyclops-1's question)

I installed DSM on a onboard SATA disk.

I will try the new drivers today, let you know how it works

Flash my LSI card with IT firmware but no luck :sad:

I even try to disable SATA ports of the mainboard but same issue.

But I found something to check what's going on before DSM is installed.

We can connect to xpenology console with user root. Password is generated everyday, look http://wrgms.com/post/37501692643/synol ... t-password

For example password for root user today is : 808-1a02

Of course this only work before DSM is installed, but it's allow us to look what's wrong when installing DSM on RAID Controller :smile:

Thanks Tranator,

I already tried with the recovery link from the synology forum but unfortunately bad luck.

I can see the 3 disks of a SHR in the ubuntu disk manager and I can see all partitions but I cannot recreate the RAID to have access to all the files and copy them over.

Do you have any suggestions ?

Best Regards,

Bart

Thanks Trantor,

I can see the 3 disks of a SHR in the ubuntu disk manager and I can see all partitions but I cannot recreate the RAID to have access to all the files and copy them over.

Do you have any suggestions ?

I'm not an expert but try playing with mdam and/or lvm2 force option that "can" mount degraded volume.

I just saw that DSM 4.3 is released, are you updating to 4.3? :grin:

Just updated my 412+ to DSM 4.3-3776, kernel is 3.2.40 and glibc is still version 2.3.6.

We need three things to build 4.3:

- 1 & 2 ) GPL source from syno (toolchain and kernel source not yet released for 4.3)

- 3 ) Patched synobios.ko (if maybe someone have knowledge to do it and why not changing model to RS10613xs+ or RS3413xs+)

I will update this when all of this is ok

Does the latest megaraid_sas driver fix your issue ?

EDIT : Syno just start updating sourceforge... tool chains 4.3 coming :cool: