XPEnology Community

Help Please - Can no longer SSH or FTP into Server

wigwam

I can access the server fine via IE web and noticed Sickrage has stopped

So I tried to SSH in via Putty and here's what happens: It prompts me for a user name and accepts it. It then prompts me for a password, and it then immediately aborts with the message:"Server unexpectedly closed network connection".

Tried on 2 different machines

Then I tried to FTP in via WinSFC (or whatever it is called!) and that fails for both SFTP and FTP.

I checked that there is no conflict with the IP address

So I am rather stuck!

Any ideas please?

Checked on XPen and SSH is still ticked etc as normal

All other packages working as normal

have you connected a monitor and keyboard to the NAS and tried to login to the console with root/your admin pw?

I can log into the OS from my PC just fine with my normal user name and password (sorry I'm guessing that is not what you meant?)

I'm away from it for the next couple days but yes I'll be able to connect to my PC monitor and Kb/mouse

Where do I run that command line though?

Will accessing it directly not take me to the same log in page for the os as I see over the intranet?

Apologies for being dim but other than the initial install I've never logged into directly so I've forgotten what I see etc :oops:

brantje and I both mean that you should connect a monitor and keyboard directly to the VGA/KB (or USB) ports on the motherboard of the NAS. Once there you should see the login prompt for 'your NAS name'. You should be able to login as 'root' and use your admin account password. That will confirm that your admin password is ok. Once you are logged in you can run a few busybox commands, and also the grep command

okay I have a really odd issue.

I tried to log into the actual server at the "synology login: " I tried "admin", "root" and "wigwam" all with the correct password and I get Login incorrect

I have tried the putty again with wigwam and admin and fails but I tried putty with "root" and the same password as above and I am in!

ps | grep SSH shows:

18875 root 17604 s /usr/bin/ssh

22993 root 55056 s sshd: root@pts/1

23127 root 3772 s grep ssh

What does all that mean please

At the "synology login:" what do I type to access my machine directly??

so since my last post was a bit gobbleygook.

Now:

1) I can SSH with putty using "root" as user and the password

2) I Can WInSCP i using "root" as user and password

At the actual machine terminal at the Synology login: prompt I have tried user names "admin", "root", "wigwam" all with the same password that works to access via IP address and to putty in using root user but all give me "Login incorrect"

the only account that works at the server is root and by default it has the same password as your 'administrator' account (wigwam?). If its working with SSH and WinSCP then perhaps check the keyboard to see if its got caps or number lock on/off as part of your password. However, there isn't much you can do at the console, a few commands (type 'help' to see them)

The fact you have logged in on with putty means the SSH service is ok so maybe the other thing to check is the 'application settings' in control panel and make sure the account(s) you want to FTP with have the correct permissions

I'd forget trying to login to the console, its probably a weird keyboard issue and you can fix the problem from there anyway. Getting back to the SSH/FTP thing, check DSM control panel to make sure ftp/sftp are enabled and the user account setup properly, then try WinSCP, FTP and SFTP modes to make a connection.