XPEnology Community

Why I hate Synology prebuild HW

CIURI

I am both Xpenology and Synology user , the OS is great but the HW team need's to be fired .

I recently purchased an DS1520+ and well its crap for the price you pay for .

Why o bought it , because from what I see the Xpenology loaders are quite stuck and with latest updates Synology made sure it will crash those.

If you know what you are doing Xpenology is super stable. I'm using it for years and had no problems till versions 6.2.3x came out.

For my opinion Synology gives 0 crap on the hardware and proper engineering of those.

Installed also enterprise ones and still not great .

And for the 1520+ why the hell they install NVME slots when they are limiting the slots to 1x PCI-E 2.0 speed and the NVME is running not even at S-ATA SSD speed .

It's clear that the CACHE will be hurt badly in performance by this limit... 

And also several devices are speed downgraded also .But NVME takes the most hit on performance when the PCI-E lanes are missing.

I attached some images from the 1520+

DS1520_nvme1.PNG

DS1520_nvme2.PNG

• Haha 1

On 11/10/2021 at 8:44 PM, CIURI said:

And for the 1520+ why the hell they install NVME slots when they are limiting the slots to 1x PCI-E 2.0 speed and the NVME is running not even at S-ATA SSD speed .

It's clear that the CACHE will be hurt badly in performance by this limit... 

And also several devices are speed downgraded also .But NVME takes the most hit on performance when the PCI-E lanes are missing.

I'm not so sure its just bad design, might be consequently oriented on the whole system because if you just have 1000Base-T (and no option for 10GBase-T)  then this will limit the usable speed and you will never be able to use more then 500MB/s, the nvme option might be more of a space saving choice and it also attracts customers as it looks flashy, not using 2.5G might be because its not widely spread and  and 10G to expensive and might result in over all cost for hardware as you would need more pcie lanes for nic and nvme

and you might leave the price range of what you aim to, reliability is a more important point i dont want to see the hardware break after a 2 year warranty, i expect at least 5 years, so part of the bill for hardware is also higher grade hardware, reliable cooling and keep in mind its mostly a custom design (not off the shelf hardware)

the synology consumer units tend to "age" faster as the used hardware is often lower tier and you often need to replace the unit because its borderline slow after 5 years and cant be extended for higher speeds

if you are the hardware designer but also need to care about worldwide distribution, expected market share, placement compared to the competition (in that market segment) , ... it gets much more difficult then you think and the "hardware team" might be doing a better job then you think (and is not responsible the questionable spec as its a over all company decision how much goes into hardware and other parts like marketing or software development)

i'm not defending synology but they have a certain way of doing things, even if it often not fits my bill as i can do better for myself but lots of people don't have the ability to build there own hardware and are not willing to invest time in trouble shooting of hardware and software - if the system has to do its job for noobs too then synology or qnap can be a choice (or maybe even when being able to have better hardware you see a point of a low maintenance system as you have to split your time between work, family and other things)

btw. compare a hardware junky and gamer building its own gaming computer now  with a two year old game console (sony or ms) - how does it end? plenty of people buying "outdated hardware" just for convince

you will find way better hardware  for the budget if you build it yourself (at least it was that way before crypto and corona shortening the gpu supply)

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Similar situation to original poster. I have been an xpenolgy user for some years (many thanks to all for their fantastic efforts). I stepped out to get a DS720+. In it's base form it is pretty grim but memory (additional 8GB) and NVMe (2x500GB) upgrades make it usable for my modest needs. Can't beat the UI. I took the drives (2x4TB) from one of my xpengoly systems and plugged the drives in to the DS720+, it migrated seamlessly. All settings and data in place. Since then swapped 4TB for a 14TB and no problems