XPEnology Community

on 5.1-5022 Update5 now - worth it to upgrade?

wakkawakka

I've been running 5.1-5022 Update 5 since a few weeks after it came out. At the time I installed it I did a totally fresh install and my XPEN box has been running BEAUTIFULLY since then.

I see now there are many, many revisions and versions later and I'm wondering if it is worth it to upgrade to the most recent or should I just leave my shit as is?

THANK YOU for your response. Are you also on 5.1-5022 now or will this be your first dip into Xpenology?

My rig is a TS430 with 12GB and 4TB in a RAID0 for *wicked* fast PLEX and Minim server / music serving It runs so beautifully it is indescribable. Because the machine is so freaking fast I cannot ever justify buying a "real" NAS because the RAM/CPU spec is so far behind what I have now. It's really amazing how weak most NAS are in this regard.

I'm hesitant to upgrade for fear of "breaking" something. I'm hoping the new 5.2 update is more GUI based. I used to use iSCSI on a QNAP but stopped once I built the XPEN box and never bothered with a target again since the way it's setup now works just as needed.

I guess I will back everything up to an external 4TB USB drive (i have a massive FLAC library) and attempt to upgrade to see what happens. Worst case I have to redo the whole thing and copy data back.

i took the plunge and went ahead and did this. i backed up ALL data first, of course.

i made a new boot stick with the later loader and went to the latest version including v3 upgrade. zero problems, no lost data, all working beautifully.

sure would like to get up to v6 though for the GUI changes. the GUI on 5.1 / 5.2 is very dated. I also do not like how in the file station when browsing, the tree strcture is odd. i had to rework some of my naming to be able to right click and copy to / move to. sort of annoying. i hope they fix that behaviour.