XPEnology Community

NAS build - Opinions and recommendation

sirius

Hi there people :!:

Next month I will be starting with my new NAS build, which will also be a VM host, so keep that in mind. NAS will use a fraction of the resources.

At first I thought of just replacing my DS211+ with a homegrown, a bit bigger, NAS. But then I thought.. why run VMs in my PC, when I could do that in my new, no doubt awesome, server, so I expanded the scope of my project a little and went with NAS+VM host setup.

Specs are as follows:

1x Intel Xeon E5-2620v3

1x Scythe CPU Cooler Katana 4

1x ASRock Socket 2011-3 X99M Extreme4 (I did not find out what SATA controller this motherboard has, I hope it's compatible. I also hope that the controller holds. Having to buy an HBA card would add several hundred euros to the build cost)

2x Kingston DDR4 PC4-17000 2133MHz 16GB CL15 (15-15-15) ECC Reg (Should be enough for starters)

1x Fractal Design Node 804 (Smallest case I found that has necessary amount of 3.5" drive bays and I like the zone segregation)

1x Corsair AX760 - Platinum Fully-Modular PSU (I already have that lying around)

4x Western Digital Red Pro 6TB (+2 in the future)

1x Samsung SSD 840 PRO 256GB SATA 6Gbit/s (For SSDCaching in Synology, have that already)

Some things are still not decided. I will first try installing it on Hyper-V (preferred hypervisor). If that doesn't give me desired results, I will go with unRAID.

With Hyper-V setup I would add a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB SATA 6Gbit/s drive for Hypervisor storage and OS images

With unRAID I would have to buy a 32GB USB 3.0 Flash drive + unRAID Plus license.

I would mostly want to know if anyone recognizes any compatiblity issues that may arise.