XPEnology Community

Unable to create a bootable flash drive, what am I missing?

jgaltone

I am new to xpenology and I am trying to get my first install up and running on a Dell R710 server.

I am attempting to use this version: XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.4.img

I was able to get the DSM up and running inside of Virtual Box (using the ISO file) and I successfully created a volume that I could access from computers on our LAN but I could not write any data to it. It acted like it was writing files to the volume (I could see transfer rates) but it never actually copied a file that was readable and it kept stopping as it was trying to write to the volume. I was also unable install any application packages.

So I decided to bypass virtualization and boot directly to a flash drive but my computer keeps telling me that my flash drive is not a valid boot device. I have attempted to create a bootable flash drive from both a Mac and Windows but neither of them worked as a valid boot.

I have watched several YouTube videos that explained how to install xpenology. None of them mentioned the step of editing the syslinux.cfg file as explained here: http://xpenology.me/how-to-update-boot-loader/

Can someone please explain if the editing of the syslinux.cfg is required to get the DSM to work properly?

Any help with making a bootable flash drive would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hey jgaltone!

I was equally as confused when i tried firing up my first bare-metal version of Xpenology.

In short, my understanding is you only need to go in editing the syslinux.cfg if you are doing an upgrade.

When building my pen drive, i ignored that step and it booted, installed and ran just fine!

I could be totally wrong, i am equally as new to this as you....but thought i would share my findings so far :smile:

Hope that helps!

MrTPN

As a test I would recommend trying to burn a ubuntu live cd on your flash drive and see if it boots. If not then it's either your hardware or a configuration problem within your bios. Could also be that the xpenoboot file got corrupted somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think, that no one can use 2U server at home. So i reminds you, that you can't use Xpenology for your business. It's not a free software :sad:

Also, i'm not sure, your RAID controller is not supported by xpenology. Broadcom NetXtreme II 5709c in HCL list.

I found that your server supports Dell iDRAC. Can you try boot xpenology image via iDRAC?

What software you used to write image to usb-drive?

As a test I would recommend trying to burn a ubuntu live cd on your flash drive and see if it boots. If not then it's either your hardware or a configuration problem within your bios. Could also be that the xpenoboot file got corrupted somehow.

I can boot to a flash drive running other OS's without any issues (Linux Mint, ESXi, etc.).

Also, i'm not sure, your RAID controller is not supported by xpenology. Broadcom NetXtreme II 5709c in HCL list.

I found that your server supports Dell iDRAC. Can you try boot xpenology image via iDRAC?

What software you used to write image to usb-drive?

I am also not sure if my raid controller is supported. I was told in this thread (Can I use a Dell R710 PowerEdge server to run XPEnology?) that it was an LSI controller and that it should work.

I have not tried iDRAC but I will give it a try. I am just trying to test EXPEnology running on vSphere ESXi.

I tried several different methods of making the Xpenology boot drive. I originally used Win32 Disk Imager. I also tried unetbootin and tried to manually make one via terminal commands.

I also tried two different version of Xpenology (5.1-5055.1.img, 5.2-5644.4.img).