XPEnology Community

Stuck at "trigger device plug event" booting

p33ps

Hi all,

I have a problem with my HP Gen8. A few hours ago I was checking some files from Files manager and I started to notice that something was failing, so I clicked on reboot (from UI, not directy from the machine). Since this, each time I power on, it stucks at "trigger device plug event". I tried to start without HDDs and it works perfectly, asking for any HDD, of course.

My specs:

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 - Intel Celeron 2.3 GHz, G1610T

2Gb RAM

3 x 5Tb HDD

USB stick as boot in motherboard

I found some similar threads here but I can't fix it. Hope someone of you can give me ideas.

Thanks a lot.

it may not be 'stuck' but DSM might be doing a quota check or other processes on the volumes if one of the disks is failing.

if you run the Syno Assistant you might see if this status is showing up.

I had a bad disk in a machine and on reboot it waited ages at the trigger event, finally came up to the login prompt, and when I looked at the logs there were I/O errors, sector remaps etc, which I suspect DSM was working on before it finished loading

it may not be 'stuck' but DSM might be doing a quota check or other processes on the volumes if one of the disks is failing.

if you run the Syno Assistant you might see if this status is showing up.

I had a bad disk in a machine and on reboot it waited ages at the trigger event, finally came up to the login prompt, and when I looked at the logs there were I/O errors, sector remaps etc, which I suspect DSM was working on before it finished loading

This is exactly what happened. It seems something happened with my HDDs, attached some pictures:

PiM7Owq.png

It says something like [fileindex] and [synolog] cannot be started.

3XGDsti.png

It says that the system is OK but cannot access to the system partition. Repair it clicking in the link

fPrh9HS.png

Cannot access to the system partition. It could be because damaged sectors o an old system installed in the system partition.

However, for security reasons, they recommend to make a backup before continue. In case of failure, change HDDs for others without problems.

At least one system HDD must be in to keep the system working

What do you recommend?

Thanks a lot!

If you 'Cancel' the system partition repair, you should be able to see the status of your drives in Storage Manager

One disk (or more) may have a failed system partition and your Volumes may have crashed or be in read only mode.

If you can access your data then I would make a backup quickly. :smile:

Once you have your data 'safe' then you could run Smart tests on the drives to see which one may be faulty.

If your data is safe you could delete the volume and raid and recreate it, and 'remap bad sectors' during the creation process

If you have a spare disk you could install it and create a new volume, this will initialise the disk and give you at least one 'good' system partition until you fix the other errors

If you 'Cancel' the system partition repair, you should be able to see the status of your drives in Storage Manager

One disk (or more) may have a failed system partition and your Volumes may have crashed or be in read only mode.

If you can access your data then I would make a backup quickly. :smile:

Once you have your data 'safe' then you could run Smart tests on the drives to see which one may be faulty.

If your data is safe you could delete the volume and raid and recreate it, and 'remap bad sectors' during the creation process

If you have a spare disk you could install it and create a new volume, this will initialise the disk and give you at least one 'good' system partition until you fix the other errors

I can access the data so I will make a backup as soon as I have 2 x 5tb free with other HDDs :lol:

What do you mean with Smart test? Use any Syno tool to check it?

Thanks for your help, it's being very helpful :smile:

In Storage Manager if you choose HDD/SDD from the menu you can see your drives details. Then you can check the health or run the smart test from the buttons at the top

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Finally I clicked on "repair" and the status changed to "Normal" in all the disks. I did a extended Smart Test on the partially broken HDD and here are the results (I don't understand anything :oops: ):

9sfhNea.png

Headers:

ID | Attribute | Value | Worst | Threshold | Status | Unprocessed data

Maybe someone can give me some feedback about the results.

Thanks a lot!

ID 5 and ID 199 are usually the values that show a bad disk - but yours are 0 so thats strange!

Maybe you just had some 'bad luck' and now its all ok :smile:

I would run a consistency check on your volume; Storage Manager > Volume > Manage > Start Data Scrubbing

I can't select it (button is disabled) maybe because I have raid0?

That is correct, Raid0 does not have that option.

As you have seen the problems with a disk failure, I would recommend you look at setting up SHR1 so you have one disk of fault tolerance :smile: You will lose 5TB of space from your 3 disk raid0, but if you add another 5TB drive (total 4) in SHR1 you will get that back.

No, you can keep your existing XPE/DSM boot and installation.

The process would be

1) Backup all data to an external device. Backup configuration and packages too

2) In Storage Manager delete your current RAID0 Volume

3) Create a new Volume and choose SHR1, no need to check for bad sectors

4) Wait for the SHR to be created

5) Recreate all your shared folders/Install Packages

6) Restore data and packages/configurations

7) Set user accounts with permissions on folders and packages if they need it

Its not a difficult process, just slow backing up, the RAID creation and the restore, depending on how much data you have :smile:

No, you can keep your existing XPE/DSM boot and installation.

The process would be

1) Backup all data to an external device. Backup configuration and packages too

2) In Storage Manager delete your current RAID0 Volume

3) Create a new Volume and choose SHR1, no need to check for bad sectors

4) Wait for the SHR to be created

5) Recreate all your shared folders/Install Packages

6) Restore data and packages/configurations

7) Set user accounts with permissions on folders and packages if they need it

Its not a difficult process, just slow backing up, the RAID creation and the restore, depending on how much data you have :smile:

Thanks for the process :smile:.

I guess yes but I prefer to ask. Can I make the SHR1 in 2 HDDs while my current RAID0 is still in the NAS, and when SHR1 finish, move all disk to the new Volume and format them in SHR1?

Thanks again :smile:

the answer is 'yes', provided you have space/power/sata connections for two additional drives :smile:. However DSM will create 'Volume 2' on this array which you cannot rename to Volume 1 (if thats what you intend). If you are planning to create another SHR1 with the 3 drives after you delete the RAID0 then it will create a new Volume 1 and you can copy your data back