XPEnology Community

How to format an SHR disk

3x4l

Question

Hello i want to install DSM on an old SHR drive but synology assistant can't install it. How could i format it manually ? (The are 2 physical drives showing in Windows or Linux) i tried to open the 2 with fdisk under linux but i got and input/output error.

Anyone one would have something on this ?

Thanks !

11 answers to this question

Do you have any data on this drive? or you want set it like new?

If like new, then you can boot to Ubuntu Live CD, open gparted, select your drive, right click on second partition(Linux Swap) and click Swapoff. In top menu select Device and Create partition table... ,msdos, Apply. Now you can reboot to xpenology.

This will erase all your data!!!

If like new, then you can boot to Ubuntu Live CD, open gparted, select your drive, right click on second partition(Linux Swap) and click Swapoff. In top menu select Device and Create partition table... ,msdos, Apply. Now you can reboot to xpenology.

Nop i don't have any data on this drive (it's a new and empty disk i just bought), i just want to erase all of it and get a basci disk of 4to because i don't like the SHR lose of space.

I tried to open the disk with Gparted (and fdisk) the problem is that i get 2 physical drives detected on this disk and not one physical drive with 2 partitions.

I'll try to make you some screenshots to show you what's going on with Gparted.

I need to know what hdd model do you use? maybe it WD SSHD?

It's a red WD 4To disk (reference WD40EFRX).

BTW I juste tried to create a new msdos partition on the two "physical" drives i see and all i get is error input/output while read on /dev/sdb. I got the error when i open Gparted too.

For a resume : I got 1 physical drive but Gparted find 2 physical drives with 2 differents mount (/dev/sdb and /dev/sdc ) i tried to create a new partition table on both of them but got errors for both ...

tried to format on of the two with disk and i got :

Error synchronizing after formatting with type `vfat': Timed out waiting for object (udisks-error-quark, 0)

On the other i got :

Error creating file system: Command-line `mkfs.vfat -I -n "" "/dev/sdc"' exited with non-zero exit status 1:

stdout: `mkfs.fat 3.0.27 (2014-11-12)

'

stderr: `mkfs.vfat: failed whilst writing reserved sector

' (udisks-error-quark, 0)

I think nothing can be done.

You using 4Tb drive, but your controller supports only 2.2Tb drives. Which controller you are using? On which motherboard?

Also in Ubuntu Live CD you can open Disks and post screenshoot here.

I'm reading it from a dock station and on my laptop pc running under Linux mint. I'm having Internet troubles right now but I'll try to send some screenshots when I can (I'm on my phone right know).

I still thinking that problem in your dock station.

Also reminds you that drives bigger than 2 Tb must use GPT partition table.

I think, that you have another machine where you will run xpenology. Connect your drive to it and boot to Live CD. For safety you can disconnect power cables from existing drives.

To check your drive you can connect it via sata and use some programms like HDAT2

http://joshstrange.com/ubuntu-formatting-a-3tb-drive/

I still thinking that problem in your dock station.

Also reminds you that drives bigger than 2 Tb must use GPT partition table.

I think, that you have another machine where you will run xpenology. Connect your drive to it and boot to Live CD. For safety you can disconnect power cables from existing drives.

To check your drive you can connect it via sata and use some programms like HDAT2

http://joshstrange.com/ubuntu-formatting-a-3tb-drive/

I'll try it on my proliant and let you know :wink:

Ok, so good news, you were totally right about that crappy dockstation controller ! I still got input/output errors on read and on write while tempting to create a partition table or simply trying to create a partition. I'm just making a low level format right now using the method i found here : : http://linux.m2osw.com/low-level-formatting-hard-drives (tried with dd count=nbBlocks if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda but it was'nt working so i'm trying with cat cmd)

If everything is going good it'd be good tomorrow or in 1 day (1 day it's working so i'll let it work until friday). Otherwise, if i still can't create a partition table or a partition, i'll resend it to Amazon for a new one.