XPEnology Community

Last resort

Aigor

Fiber is pretty straight forward usually... what problems are you having?

I've not used it on Synology before to be fair, but have experience with "proper" FC SANs.

Target FC mode are supported by SCST subsystem.

I would like to add SCST subsystem support on synology, i'v read howto and i decide to try, SCST doesn't use already present qla2xxx module, new module will be compiled during SCST subsystem build, all the steps are ok, but the specific qla2xxx_scst doesn't read the card, the qla2xxx already present in synology works but it's useless with scst.

I suppose one my fault so i wanted to try to compile qla2xxx driver already present in kernel tree, same result, it doesn't work, so it's not my fault but i suppose i miss something, or the running kernel on synology it's' compiled with certains options that i don't know or it's' not enough to have GPL kernel source from synology to compile module for qla2xxx.

I suppose that source kernel from Xpenology it's' different then Synology kernel, but to much different to avoid to use this particular module, other modules compiled with synology source works well, I can not understand where is the trick, or where i'm wrong.

At this time i can only ask to Xpenology dev to compile SCST with their kernel that we can not have, or i have to abandon my project, but i think it would be a mistake, because adding FC support we can use synology like real SAN due to less price of FC cards , using ISCSI we are bonded to ethernet speed or we have to buy 10Gb card that are expensive, with fc we could be in the middle way from "slow" iscsi via ethernet, to fast 10GB ethernet but they are expensive.

10GbE should be cheaper than 8Gb FC to implement, surely?

If you're looking at going FC then it's safe to assume you're just going NAS => PC so that would mean no need for a 10gig switch.

For the cost of one FC card you should be able to get two SFP+ 10GbE cards and an SFP+ DA cable to link things.

10GbE should be cheaper than 8Gb FC to implement, surely?

If you're looking at going FC then it's safe to assume you're just going NAS => PC so that would mean no need for a 10gig switch.

For the cost of one FC card you should be able to get two SFP+ 10GbE cards and an SFP+ DA cable to link things.

You rigth, but i'm talking about to 4gb fc card, i know that i don't need switches if i'm using one san and one pc

I bought two 4gb fc card for 20 €