XPEnology Community

Bare Metal vs Hypervisor

shrabok

I've been searching through the forums without being able to find any clear indication which route to take (bare metal or hypervisor).

I'm wondering if anyone had some clear reasons to use one over the other like disaster recovery, hardware support etc.

Any input would be appreciated!

I guess the most important advantage of using a hypervisor is hardware support. Being tied to certain hardware because XPenology doesn't have the correct driver sounds like a nightmare. Apart from that it really depends on preferences. Personally I love using virtualization (ESXi) because I run a couple of different virtual machines with services not suited for running on XPenology. I don't think Plex performed that well and other resource intensive applications are generally performing better in its own vm than as a package on XPenology.

I used to Vmware to host my Minecraft server along with a Windows machine. Only issue with Xpenology was lack of SMART status and temp on hard disk. Thoughtput capped at about 70MB/ss on a E8500 CPU.

Since the system disk broken, I switched to bare metal. Now the throughput max at 110MB/s. Also managed to use docker to host a Minecraft server. Going to explore Virtualbox to host a Windows machine later. The system now suffer from BIOS corruption every time it boot up and requires to press F1 key. Not perfect but acceptable. At least the hard disk status report is now useful.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

I used to Vmware to host my Minecraft server along with a Windows machine. Only issue with Xpenology was lack of SMART status and temp on hard disk. Thoughtput capped at about 70MB/ss on a E8500 CPU.

Since the system disk broken, I switched to bare metal. Now the throughput max at 110MB/s. Also managed to use docker to host a Minecraft server. Going to explore Virtualbox to host a Windows machine later. The system now suffer from BIOS corruption every time it boot up and requires to press F1 key. Not perfect but acceptable. At least the hard disk status report is now useful.

For what you you need windows, if you have docker?

For what you you need windows, if you have docker?

It's for an old Starcraft server. Sometimes as remote desktop.