XPEnology Community

New here, need some help

Metalmallrat

Hello everyone,

I am planning to build XPenology machine and I was wondering which processor is powerful enough for video playing/transcoding when needed, sometimes even to 2-3 devices in a same time and how much of RAM... I am kind of budget limited, so thinking about going with AMD platform, Mini-ITX, but it can be Intel as well... I am affraid to just go and buy any motherboard I like, cause I dont want to experience any hardware incompatibility with XPenology. Any help and advice is much appreciated!

Thank You,

Eddie.

This is a personal opinion, but you rather then installing XPenology directly on hardware I would recommend to install it on a hypervisor such as ESXi. I've tested Plex both on Synology and in a dedicated virtual machine and the performance was way better in the virtual machine when multiple users are streaming/transcoding at the same time. The other benefit is that you aren't that dependent on hardware and you can run other stuff in parallell

, which is awesome.

I would recommend spending a bit more and buy a Intel CPU, especially if you intend to use or at some time move over to virtualization. The amought of memory depends highly on your usage. 4GB should be enough for normal usage. If you intent do

, you should add 1GB of memory for every 1TB you intend to sync.

However, if you are convinced that you want to install XPenology directly on hardware take a look at this post: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10973

Thank You Neo,

I ll take your advice so I think I ll go with Intel... Still would like to know, what motherboard is really "recommended" for building a XPenplogy machine. Also, is some new Pentium processor powerful enough, or shoud I go with i3 for example? I dont need to run anything in parallel, I just want to have nice and reliable NAS machine that works.

Thank You again, and as I said, any advice is much appreciated.