XPEnology Community

Help to fix Marvell 9172 =trigger device plug event= issue

Trantor

Hello.

Would it be possible to fix the Marvell SE9172 SATA controller? Users of the ASRock C2550D4I and C2750D4I have had to disable this controller to get XPEnoboot to boot.

Thanks in advance!

+1

I can confirm that I can use intel and marvell 9230 in AHCI mode without any issues When marvell 9172 is disabled.

But, I did some more testing :smile:

I have now tried all configs that I could think of, and I only found One middle ground, Marvell SE9172+Intel C2750 SATA3 Don't Mix. But they Did all work in Nanoboot.

I used 5.2-5644.1 for testing.

SE9230+SE9172 = Working

SE9230+C2750 SATA2+C2750 SATA3 = Working

SE9172+C2750 SATA3 = NOT Working

SE9230+SE9172+C2750 SATA2+C2750 SATA3 = NOT Working

SE9230+SE9172+C2750 SATA2 = Working

C2750 SATA2+C2750 SATA3 = Working

C2750 SATA3 = Working

C2750 SATA2 = Working

SE9172 = Working

SE9230 = Working

I didn't find any indications that IDE or AHCI made any difference.

So to sume up, when I enable Marvell SE9172 and the two SATA3 ports on the Intel C2750 Controller at the same time, I get this boot hang issue "=trigger device plug event="

Hope this helps.

Just wanted to report my experiences with the C2550D4I.

My system:

- ASRock C2550D4I with 4x1GB DDR3 ECC RAM

- Silverstone DS380

- Hard drives: 3x8TB, 2x3TB, 3x2TB (8x8TB soon) on all the internal SATA3 controllers

- XPEnoboot 5.1-5055

BIOS Config:

- Advanced > Super IO Configuration > Serial Port 1 Configuration > Serial Port (Disabled)

- Advanced > Super IO Configuration > SOL Configuration > Serial port (Disabled)

- Intel RC Setup > South Bridge Chipset Configuration > SATA 3 Configuration > SATA Mode Selection = IDE

What works:

1, All SATA controllers, so it is possible to have 12 hard drives connected.

2. Both Intel LAN ports.

What doesn't work:

1. Wake on LAN.

I also tested with XPEnoboot 5.2-5592 before reverting to 5.1-5055. Here are my experiences with it.

What works:

1. All the SATA3 controllers, so it is possible to have 8 hard drives connected.

2. Both Intel LAN ports.

What doesn't work:

1. The SATA2 controllers, so you will lose the ability to connect 4 hard drives.

Can someone confirm having ALL SATA ports working in AHCI and/or IDE mode with previous XPEnoboot 5.1 release or other builds (nanoboot/gnoboot) ?

Please only post precise and detailed information that help us to fix the "=trigger device plug event=" issue.

Hello.

Yes. As I previously wrote, XPEnoboot 5,1-5055 will work with all SATA ports, but only when set to IDE mode. If set to AHCI mode, the "=trigger device plug event=" issue will appear.

I am currently using XPEnoboot 5,2-5592 with the Marvell 9172 disabled and BIOS set to AHCI mode.

Thank you for looking in to this.

Hello.

Yes. As I previously wrote, XPEnoboot 5,1-5055 will work with all SATA ports, but only when set to IDE mode. If set to AHCI mode, the "=trigger device plug event=" issue will appear.

I am currently using XPEnoboot 5,2-5592 with the Marvell 9172 disabled and BIOS set to AHCI mode.

Thank you for looking in to this.

Thank for this feedback :smile:

Did you try an other Linux distribution like Debian or Ubuntu to see if all SATA ports work in AHCI mode ?

Sorry. I have not tried any other OS.

I am currently in the middle of upgrading all the eight hard drives in my volume to 8TB drives. It is very slow, taking about 5 days for each drive. When I am done with this current drive, I can attempt to boot in to Ubuntu LiveUSB.

Sorry. I have not tried any other OS.

I am currently in the middle of upgrading all the eight hard drives in my volume to 8TB drives. It is very slow, taking about 5 days for each drive. When I am done with this current drive, I can attempt to boot in to Ubuntu LiveUSB.

In order to speed up the process you can tweak some values:

http://www.pro-blog.com/fix-synology-lo ... ild-times/

http://www.simplicate.info/2014/05/07/s ... expansion/

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've found a very interesting post here :

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index. ... ic=40683.0

According to this link, it seems to be specific to linux (Xpenology) and maybe with some virtualization stuff (VT-d option in BIOS).

Some users are reporting success with the following workaround :

add iommu=pt to the append line of your syslinux.conf file on your boot flash.

I've not tried yet...

Hi,

I've found a very interesting post here :

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index. ... ic=40683.0

According to this link, it seems to be specific to linux (Xpenology) and maybe with some virtualization stuff (VT-d option in BIOS).

Some users are reporting success with the following workaround :

add iommu=pt to the append line of your syslinux.conf file on your boot flash.

I've not tried yet...

Tried this just now, still no go. Here's specifics:

XPEnoboot 5.2-5644.5 Bare Metal install

added line to syslinux.cfg as such: APPEND iommu=pt root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 .........

SE9230+SE9172+C2750 SATA2 = Working

SE9230+SE9172+C2750 SATA2+C2750 SATA3 = NOT Working

SE9230+SE9172+C2750 SATA2+C2750 SATA3= will work if C2750 SATA2 is in IDE mode but nothing will register or what does shows up as esata but can't do anything with it.)

SE9230+SE9172+C2750 SATA2 = Works but still has trigger error.

All the ways I tested still produce this result: =trigger device plug event=, however, SE9230+SE9172+C2750 SATA2+C2750 SATA3 will not continue booting, freezes whole system after about 45 seconds (reset button on board won't even work). All other modes still produce the trigger error, but after a few seconds it produces login and finishes the boot.

Anything anyone want me to try? This is a fresh install with nothing on it yet, so I can try everything you want me to. Just make sure you give me detailed instruction, I'm a linux noob and a xpenology virgin until last week.

Update:

XPEnoboot 5.2-5644.5 Bare Metal install

added line to syslinux.cfg as such: APPEND iommu=pt root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 .........

Nothing changed on boot.

SE9230+SE9172+C2750 SATA2 = Working (with Trigger device plug event)

SE9230+SE9172+C2750 SATA2+C2750 SATA3 = NOT Working (trigger device plug event but freezes whole system after about 45 seconds (reset button on board won't even work)

SE9230+C2750 SATA2+C2750 SATA3 = Working (with Trigger device plug event)

SE9230+SE9172+C2750 SATA2+C2750 SATA3= Works if C2750 SATA2 is in IDE mode but nothing will register on SATA2 or what does shows up as esata but can't do anything with it.)

All the ways I tested still produce this result: =trigger device plug event=.

Most modes still produce the trigger error, but after a few seconds it produces login and finishes the boot.

So either way I get 10 usable ports, which way is recommended? :

SE9230+SE9172+C2750 SATA2 ---or--- SE9230+C2750 SATA2+C2750 SATA3

Yes, I still have the Marvell 9172 disabled. I'm on 5644-5 now. Everything else continues to work fine.

Do you still get the "=trigger device plug event=" ?

And before I start buying and loading HDD's, can I use the rest of the slots I have as a single volume with SHR without any issues?

And what are you guys using for case? I got a DS380 and dang it's cramped, I just ordered a bunch of 10" sata cables to throw in there to see if it "frees up" space.

Do you still get the "=trigger device plug event=" ?

And before I start buying and loading HDD's, can I use the rest of the slots I have as a single volume with SHR without any issues?

And what are you guys using for case? I got a DS380 and dang it's cramped, I just ordered a bunch of 10" sata cables to throw in there to see if it "frees up" space.

With the Marvell 9172 disabled, I don't get the "trigger device plug event" problem.

Disabling the Marvell 9172 will leave you with 10 functional SATA ports. You can use them all for a single SHR volume without any problems.

I also have a DS380. Yes, it's pretty tight in there. The drive activity lights on the drive trays on mine do not align perfectly. But it was cheap and hot plugging works fine so I'm not going to stress over the misaligned lights. I have an eight drive SHR2 volume running 24/7 and have not experienced any issues at all. I connected the remaining two SATA ports to an eSATAp adaptor but I haven't tested it much yet. I currently have a FL1009 based USB 3 PCI-e card installed but I'm considering testing a USB 3 + SATA card.

With the Marvell 9172 disabled, I don't get the "trigger device plug event" problem.

Disabling the Marvell 9172 will leave you with 10 functional SATA ports. You can use them all for a single SHR volume without any problems.

I also have a DS380. Yes, it's pretty tight in there. The drive activity lights on the drive trays on mine do not align perfectly. But it was cheap and hot plugging works fine so I'm not going to stress over the misaligned lights. I have an eight drive SHR2 volume running 24/7 and have not experienced any issues at all. I connected the remaining two SATA ports to an eSATAp adaptor but I haven't tested it much yet. I currently have a FL1009 based USB 3 PCI-e card installed but I'm considering testing a USB 3 + SATA card.

Hmmm, wondering what I might be doing wrong... Mine as SE9230+C2750 SATA2+C2750 SATA3 still gives me the trigger error but finishes booting. I wonder what settings I have different than you. Both serial ports are turned off along with 9172 and I think that's it.... I put an internal USB header adapter on the board with the thumb drive for the loader, then dropped a 16Gb ssd in it for the the OS, so that leaves me with one more internal drive for something... Too bad you can't put the OS on another thumbdrive, that would free us the 2 ports for SSD's for caching.

In addition to the things you have set in bios, I think I also set something to enable SMART status.

Why did you have to install the OS on an SSD? Traditionally, the OS is stored on the volumes' drives. I am running eight 8TB drives which forms one volume.

BTW, I see that you have a "v1.3 backplane" in your DS380. What are the differences from older versions? How can we tell which version we have? Thanks.

In addition to the things you have set in bios, I think I also set something to enable SMART status.

Why did you have to install the OS on an SSD? Traditionally, the OS is stored on the volumes' drives. I am running eight 8TB drives which forms one volume.

BTW, I see that you have a "v1.3 backplane" in your DS380. What are the differences from older versions? How can we tell which version we have? Thanks.

I installed the OS on a SSD just cause I'm paranoid and old school, if the drive dies I can just replace the OS, if the raid goes out, the OS is independent of that.

The backplane is actually written on the board(don't remember if it was on the inside or on the back, I'll check when I get home), they are up to 1.4 from what I googled. Apparently they have some issues/problems with the backplanes, I got the links saved at home with it, or you can Google it.

Ok, after looking at some pictures online, the version and date for the drive cage are stamped on the back (motherboard side).

For the life of me I can't find the issue I had found with the backplanes here on phone, hopefully I still have the site loaded at home.

The way that Synology DSM works is that the OS is stored on all of the drives of the volumes. This protects against a drive failure from making the OS inaccessible.

Yes, please provide the links regarding the backplane. Thanks in advance.

Thanks, I did not know this about the OS, makes sense though.

Just went through my link at home, and can't seem to find the link I had with the back-plane. All I remember is there were a few people mentioning an issue and that they had replaced them through warranty from Silverstone, and one of the users mentioned his was V1.4.

On another note, I have reset my bios to stock, and changed only SMART and disabled 9172, along with both serial ports, and I still get the trigger on boot error. However it does finish booting. Hmm any chance I can get you to go through your bios with a fine tooth comb?

Thanks for the info about the backplane. I'll have to take a look when I have time. My NAS is a bit buried in a corner and I only access it via IPMI...

I did look at my bios settings again and here's what I have;

1. Serial ports disabled.

2. Marvell 9172 disabled.

3. Bootable Marvell 9230 disabled.

4. SMART enabled.

Thanks for the info about the backplane. I'll have to take a look when I have time. My NAS is a bit buried in a corner and I only access it via IPMI...

I did look at my bios settings again and here's what I have;

1. Serial ports disabled.

2. Marvell 9172 disabled.

3. Bootable Marvell 9230 disabled.

4. SMART enabled.

Ok still getting the trigger error with those settings, but still finishes booting.

I video'd the whole boot process to watch one thing fail that has been flying by too fast to see, and here's the only thing that failed on boot:

Loading Module aacraid [FAILED]

Did same thing in debug mode and got a little more:

Loading Module aacraid [Failed] (bunch of illegible numbers 5.795214 I think) Adaptec aacraid driver 1.2.1.50639

Anyone know where it stores the debug log file? Looks like a temp directory but I don't know how to access it.