XPEnology Community

Best loader/model to use? AMD Ryzen 5 1500X

Retu

Question

Hi guys.

I´ve been trying two or three installs, but still trying to figure out how to put everything up and runing.

Xpenology will be running on a Gigabyte AB350M motherboard and Ryzen 5 1500X CPU, with 16Gb Ram. For now it´s just one HDD and one SDD as cache, but I´ll add more HDD through a PCIe SATA card. 

The main use will be torrent download and plex server, Home Assistant via docker or VM and photos backup from two mobiles, also some  files from my computer but not too many. If it´s possible to set up the cameras that I already have from Ring to work as CCTV would be great.

With all of this in mind, would you recommend me 1.04b with 918+, 1.03b with 3617 or 1.03b with 3615?

Now when I try to make a new install it only gives me the chance to migrate instead an istall from scratch, any way to install as a new system?

Another question, for now every install that I tried needs to boot from the usb beacuse if not it enters grub rescue, is it possible to fix that and don´t need the usb to boot? If its better to boot from usb it´s ok, as the usb to boot is one that I don´t use for any other purpose

Thank you so much for your time and help.

6 answers to this question

21 hours ago, Dfds said:

You’re right VMM doesn’t work with AMD CPU’s, Docker does work very well however.

Follow up question on VMM and AMD CPUs.

Since Synology is using the AMD Ryzen Embedded V1500B in their product line up (where VMM is working), shouldn't it be possible to work with VMM in xpenology as well?

I'm asking cause I am thinking of switching my Intel i3-8100 to an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X and I'd like to use VMM.