XPEnology Community

Can I use a Dell R710 PowerEdge server to run XPEnology?

jgaltone

I am attempting to install Xpenology on one of my R710s as a baremetal install.  I had it installed on VMWare with no problems, but this is being a little more problematic.  Everything appears to boot okay, but I don't believe it has the NIC drivers.  I am also seeing that the extra RAM disk is currently removed.  I am using Juns 1.02b loader for the 3617xs.  What options do I have to get this up and running?

I was able to track down the 3.2 driver package and loaded it.  When I try to install Xpenology, I keep getting error 13 no matter what I try.  I have tried a couple USB drives and still no luck.  It is always saying that it is trying to migrate.  I am not sure why it thinks it can migrate when I complete redo the USB.  I am thinking it is trying to install on the raid controller possibly or maybe the SATA SSD that I had in the system.  Anyone that has a R710 and bare bones working, please let me know.

Note 3: Please check you have the right VID/PID prior proceeding. If you get the following error ”Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupted. (13)" it most certainly means your VID and/or PID is/are wrong. If you still have the same error message after verifying the VID/PID then try another USB drive. 

so check vid/pid of usb stick used, tra another (and mach vid/pid)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
So has anyone been able to run bare metal DSM on the R710? Thinking about buying two and running a high availability setup for Virtual Machine Manager. Definitely want to be able to use all 4 built in NICs and the storage slots...
I have a Dell R710 coming in next Monday. I will test a bare metal install for you.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, MGD9000 said:

I have a Dell R710 coming in next Monday. I will test a bare metal install for you.

Thanks that would be great! I am considering buying 2 and running it in Synology HA cluster. But I found out that while running HA you can't install and use Virtual Machine Manager, even if you don't want to use the HA features of that. You simply cannot backup your VMs through HyperBackup or regular HA cluster unless you have VMM Pro. But it's in beta and Synology says after Beta it will cost money... So on Xpenology it won't work because you need Synology account linked to buy a license. So that plane went out the door.

Figured if the R710 works bare metal anyway I can just use it HA and forget VMM.

Thanks that would be great! I am considering buying 2 and running it in Synology HA cluster. But I found out that while running HA you can't install and use Virtual Machine Manager, even if you don't want to use the HA features of that. You simply cannot backup your VMs through HyperBackup or regular HA cluster unless you have VMM Pro. But it's in beta and Synology says after Beta it will cost money... So on Xpenology it won't work because you need Synology account linked to buy a license. So that plane went out the door.

Figured if the R710 works bare metal anyway I can just use it HA and forget VMM.
I think you would be a lot better off running ESXI 6.7 you can run all the vms you want. But I'll still do the test for you.

19 minutes ago, MGD9000 said:

I think you would be a lot better off running ESXI 6.7 you can run all the vms you want. But I'll still do the test for you.

Haha, I had guessed you might say that. I am scared to admit, I know not much at ESXi. Never had a use for it, maybe up until now. Not that this is the exact proper place to ask, but I am assuming I can take two R710s and run them in some sort of HA with ESXi? So if one fails it switches over to the other and has everything backed up and stored on there?

I guess I'm lazy because I wish I could just do this with Synology HA and still use VMM. So easy just to slap it all together and keep running. But I'm willing to learn ESXi.

• 8 months later...

I am running baremetal 6.2-U2 on a Dell R620, R820 and the R730. Used the 103a loader with 3617xs. Been working on a few other dell servers to tweak his loader for.

I was even able to get the PERC H710 to pass the virtual disks over. Working on getting my MD3220 SAS array to pass thru as well, using some ported loaders from the RS4017.

All using the Broadcom/Qlogic 57800 chipset, except the R620, that's 10gig Intel.

With the Dell servers, you will need either a SATA backplane or an LSI/Perc that is at least an H710 or newer to work. Others can't pass the disks over/through due to how they handle RAID 0 disks or they just don't allow it.

r820_6_2_u1.PNG

Edited by DeviantGeek

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First timer here. I'm experiencing the same problem with my R610. I get to the booting to kernel message and then using Synology Assistant to scan for it but no dice. I tried 2 different USB disks and 2 different loaders (1.01 and 1.02b) with no luck. 

• 10 months later...
On 2/2/2019 at 1:11 PM, DeviantGeek said:

I am running baremetal 6.2-U2 on a Dell R620, R820 and the R730. Used the 103a loader with 3617xs. Been working on a few other dell servers to tweak his loader for.

I was even able to get the PERC H710 to pass the virtual disks over. Working on getting my MD3220 SAS array to pass thru as well, using some ported loaders from the RS4017.

All using the Broadcom/Qlogic 57800 chipset, except the R620, that's 10gig Intel.

With the Dell servers, you will need either a SATA backplane or an LSI/Perc that is at least an H710 or newer to work. Others can't pass the disks over/through due to how they handle RAID 0 disks or they just don't allow it.

r820_6_2_u1.PNG

Excellent!  I have an R820 with the H710 PERC.  How did you configure the RAID?  Each drive as a separate virtual drive and let DSM create the raid?