XPEnology Community

Add new NIC post install, have to manually bring interfaces up via ssh session

specter9mm

Question

Hey folks, sorry if this is covered somewhere else, I could not find anything.

I added a two port sfp+ card with a 10GB fiber module to my already running xpenology bare metal. Everything works, except I can't get the darn interface to come up on boot. If I go to Control Panel->Network in DSM, it only shows my original interfaces. If I ssh to the box, and do "ifconfig ethx up", the interface comes up, get link and dhcp, and appears in DSM. I have added ifcfg-ethx for the two interfaces to /etc.defaults/sysconfig/network-scripts. How do I get these to come up automatically?

5 answers to this question

So this also happens on a fresh install, as I just replaced all my drives in my build, and did a completely fresh install with the SFP+ card in during the install. Still looking for where the DSM config can be edited to permanently add bringing up these interfaces on boot.

12 hours ago, specter9mm said:

So this also happens on a fresh install, as I just replaced all my drives in my build, and did a completely fresh install with the SFP+ card in during the install. Still looking for where the DSM config can be edited to permanently add bringing up these interfaces on boot.

the information you gave is extremely thin or should i say non?

what dsm version loader and type, any extra driver or extensions?

what 10G nic, there is not just one, you might have one but we cant know what it is until you tell us

in general dsm is a hacked appliance and mainly (DSMitself) supports ony hardware that is used in a "platform" of DSM

depending on loader there are driver added but its in no way like a normal linux where you get more or less all drivers as loadable kernel modules ootb

whats the nic, whats its pci vendor und device id (sub id's if there are any)

maybe dmesg log from a boot where the card was in the system (the pci id should be visible even when there is no driver for the hardware)

if its 6.2.3 like you had last year

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/41315-dsm-624-25554/?do=findComment&comment=199038

the you can try this

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

A little change since last year.

Jun's Loader v1.04b with DS918+

DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 (Release notes)

Using the extra and extra2.lzma, but which versions I have no idea. Did this a while ago, and just made sure everything I got to work together was zipped and backed up.

This is the 2 port sfp+ card I put in, SFN5122F Solarflare S6102 10G Ethernet Dual Port Server Adapter PCI Express, I have tried multiple different GBICS.

It looks like you may have updated extra lzmas for both my issues actually, as with this recent redo I still had to manually copy i915.ko into place to get HEVC hw offloading to work. I think I went to 1.04b in the first place because I couldn't get the i915.ko to work on 1.03b with the 3617+ install.

First will try replacing both extras on the boot stick. Will report back once I get a chance to do that.

@IG-88finally got this working. I updated to DSM7 with the redpill loader and had the exact same issue. Swapped the card out for another one I had here, and it worked perfectly, interfaces detected on boot and available in the DSM interface. I didn't happen to grab the model of the card that wouldn't detect on boot, but the one that works is a Solarflare Communications SFC9020 10G Ethernet Controller.

Screenshot 2023-03-29 230539.jpg