XPEnology Community

Need input for new XPEnology site

brantje

Hi all,

As you all may know, xpenology.nl is down.

Which is sad, because that site had valuable tutorials.

So i decided to make a new xpenology site.

See the development site here: https://dev.myxpenology.com/

What does it has currently:

- Most tutorials from xpenology.nl (Credits to poechi!)

- A 1 on 1 copy of this forum (Just in case of...)

Working on:

- XPEnology system advisor

- Hardware database

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Could be fun try to integrate some functions that are not present, for example a real dhcpd server with dns-update, as far you know synology use dnsmasq, adding support for Fiber Channel target, a complete netboot server via ipxe like UDA, and so on.

I'm not so skilled programmer but i have some knowledge.

Could be fun try to integrate some functions that are not present, for example a real dhcpd server with dns-update, as far you know synology use dnsmasq, adding support for Fiber Channel target, a complete netboot server via ipxe like UDA, and so on.

Dunnow, i got them via webarchive.

Wouldn't the tutorials be redundant with the http://xpenology.me website?

You mean something like ddns? If i can get that working, that would be awesome.

Just looked in to what a netboot server is, looks nice, will look into this.

Hi Brantje, not something like DDNS that is for internet use.

There is bind ( dns server) packaged for Synology, but you have to add any ip address if you want use it, if you setup Synology like dhcp server, any ip served it's not added on dns, dhcpd has the ability to update A record in the zone file served by bind, it's' just a plus for geek and "hackers" it's' not mandatory for home users.

Netboot server.

I'm a System manager and i need to have several OS to boot, now i have a iso repo where are all the iso of OS, when i need to boot a VM simply connect iso file to vm and that's it.

If you want to use a real hardware, you need usb stick or DVD, but if the hardware can boot via network, you can install os via network avoiding the use of any physical support.

Another interesting trick is to install a OS into ISCSI target, virtual or physical doesn't matter, the mandatory part it's to have a boot server.

Think about the possibilities to boot parted, clonecd and so on via network.

Hi Brantje, not something like DDNS that is for internet use.

There is bind ( dns server) packaged for Synology, but you have to add any ip address if you want use it, if you setup Synology like dhcp server, any ip served it's not added on dns, dhcpd has the ability to update A record in the zone file served by bind, it's' just a plus for geek and "hackers" it's' not mandatory for home users.

Netboot server.

I'm a System manager and i need to have several OS to boot, now i have a iso repo where are all the iso of OS, when i need to boot a VM simply connect iso file to vm and that's it.

If you want to use a real hardware, you need usb stick or DVD, but if the hardware can boot via network, you can install os via network avoiding the use of any physical support.

Another interesting trick is to install a OS into ISCSI target, virtual or physical doesn't matter, the mandatory part it's to have a boot server.

Think about the possibilities to boot parted, clonecd and so on via network.

For internal dns i use xip.io.

What is xip.io?

xip.io is a magic domain name that provides wildcard DNS

for any IP address. Say your LAN IP address is 10.0.0.1.

Using xip.io,

10.0.0.1.xip.io resolves to 10.0.0.1

www.10.0.0.1.xip.io resolves to 10.0.0.1

mysite.10.0.0.1.xip.io resolves to 10.0.0.1

foo.bar.10.0.0.1.xip.io resolves to 10.0.0.1

...and so on. You can use these domains to access virtual

hosts on your development web server from devices on your

local network, like iPads, iPhones, and other computers.

No configuration required!

• 2 weeks later...