XPEnology Community

Update my DSM software on my NAS

kunalraiker

In general...

create a USB flash with the latest XPEnoboot image. Remember to modify the syslinux.cfg if you have already modified it with the running version on you system.

Boot from it and select install/upgrade from the menu.

As soon as the boot finishes, use Synology Assistant or enter the web ui and choose to migrate settings.

Set the update file manually (the latest .PAT file can be downloaded from XPEnology).

There is a guide here which covers every detail.

http://idmedia.no/projects/xpenology/installing-or-upgrading-to-xpenology-5-2-or-later/

1) Make sure you have the latest XPEnoboot on your USB boot loader

2) Download the latest Patch Level for your Xpenology box from xpenology.me/downloads

2) On the XPEnoboot boot selection screen, select the last option for "migrate/upgrade"

3) Go to control panel > update > manual DSM update > select file from step 1

3a) Some smaller patch level updates will update fine from a direct Synology download. If it fails, use the one from the downloads section of xpenology.me

That should be it. Many users try to do a direct upgrade without rebooting onto migrate/upgrade mode, which prevents the update from properly being applied. Once you have updated, the DS should automatically restart and you'll be good to go. On older patch levels, some system services needed to be re-activated/re-started such as media server, photo station, etc. I did not experience this with the most recent 2 patch levels.

1) Make sure you have the latest XPEnoboot on your USB boot loader

2) Download the latest Patch Level for your Xpenology box from xpenology.me/downloads

2) On the XPEnoboot boot selection screen, select the last option for "migrate/upgrade"

3) Go to control panel > update > manual DSM update > select file from step 1

3a) Some smaller patch level updates will update fine from a direct Synology download. If it fails, use the one from the downloads section of xpenology.me

That should be it. Many users try to do a direct upgrade without rebooting onto migrate/upgrade mode, which prevents the update from properly being applied. Once you have updated, the DS should automatically restart and you'll be good to go. On older patch levels, some system services needed to be re-activated/re-started such as media server, photo station, etc. I did not experience this with the most recent 2 patch levels.

I went to Xpenology.me but couldn't find the software for DS3612xs which is my version, can you advise whether I would find it ?

In general...

create a USB flash with the latest XPEnoboot image. Remember to modify the syslinux.cfg if you have already modified it with the running version on you system.

As soon as the boot finishes, use Synology Assistant or enter the web ui and choose to migrate settings.

Set the update file manually (the latest .PAT file can be downloaded from XPEnology).

http://idmedia.no/projects/xpenology/installing-or-upgrading-to-xpenology-5-2-or-later/

The link you provided refers to a VM install, I have a standalone install of Xpenology on dedicated hardware.

Are there any easier guides to follow for my purpose ?

In general...

The link you provided refers to a VM install, I have a standalone install of Xpenology on dedicated hardware.

Are there any easier guides to follow for my purpose ?

Anyone ?

Somewhere between the version you have and the current version, the devs changed the synology model for a more up to date one - DS3615xs. So the ones you are looking at are fine. When you upgrade, DSM thinks that you have taken the disks out of a DS3612xs and put them into the later unit and goes ahead with the changes.

I'm sure there is a step by step guide for bare metal somewhere here, but I had a quick look and couldn't find it. javakias' guide will work with some modifications.

"Converting the boot image" becomes : Create a bootable USB stick from the img file using something like win32diskimager.

"Configure your VM" becomes: Attach a screen and keyboard to your box and boot from the new USB stick.

Somewhere between the version you have and the current version, the devs changed the synology model for a more up to date one - DS3615xs. So the ones you are looking at are fine. When you upgrade, DSM thinks that you have taken the disks out of a DS3612xs and put them into the later unit and goes ahead with the changes.

I'm sure there is a step by step guide for bare metal somewhere here, but I had a quick look and couldn't find it. javakias' guide will work with some modifications.

"Converting the boot image" becomes : Create a bootable USB stick from the img file using something like win32diskimager.

"Configure your VM" becomes: Attach a screen and keyboard to your box and boot from the new USB stick.

Should I be able to follow this guide ?

http://xpenology.me/how-to-update-to-dsm-5-2-5565/

Should I be able to follow this guide ?

http://xpenology.me/how-to-update-to-dsm-5-2-5565/

Yes, follow that guide but stop where it asks you to use the Snyology assist website. Just log back into the DS after it's booted up and go through the control panel and perform a manual update selecting the .pat file.

And yes, ignore the hardware version - it's been made general purpose for various bare metal or visualized installs.

• 1 month later...

Greetings, i am having the same issue with the topic starter

My latest hardware installation of xpenology is

5AaIyqS.jpg

and i am using a bootable usb with XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5565.2.

Because i am not really sure how to proceed with the update,

1) i need to create a new bootable usb with XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.5

2) i need to choose install/update from boot manager or just let it boot?

3) update the software via the control panel through web download or manually choosing the DSM_DS3615xs_5644.pat file?

I have taken a configuration backup.

Also i guess that wont be any data loss from my SHR2 volume right?

Thank you a lot for your time and support!

• 3 weeks later...
Greetings, i am having the same issue with the topic starter

My latest hardware installation of xpenology is

and i am using a bootable usb with XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5565.2.

Because i am not really sure how to proceed with the update,

1) i need to create a new bootable usb with XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.5

2) i need to choose install/update from boot manager or just let it boot?

3) update the software via the control panel through web download or manually choosing the DSM_DS3615xs_5644.pat file?

I have taken a configuration backup.

Also i guess that wont be any data loss from my SHR2 volume right?

Thank you a lot for your time and support!

1) - Yes

2) - Let it boot

3) - Always manual update to latest pat file. NEVER AUTO.

***Backup files to an external drive, disconnect the backup **

I create a usb with the latest bootloader and modify it so that the serial number and the pid /vendor matches on my laptop

Download the newest pat file on my computer that i use to access the NAS.

Power down the NAS from the web interface..

Swap out the usb drive with the newest that was modified

Bootup the system ( headless so i don't see any options)

Login into my NAS - control - updates - manually pick my updated - upload the pat file... Then update.. Wait for the system to reboot..

Done..