XPEnology Community

Qlogic QLE2462 drivers for xpenology 5.2-5644.4?

bdazla

I have a query to see if the drivers for the Qlogic QLE2462 drivers could be added to the XPEnology builds if they will work for the following scenario.

What I would like to do if possible, is to move my ESXi hosts from the current iSCSI 1Gb Ethernet connection to my current Openfiler SAN/NAS with 1Gb iSCSI Ethernet TO 4Gb fibre cards on the ESXi hosts and also 4Gb fibre cards on my XPEnology SAN/NAS that I have been testing. Is this scenario possible? I would love some faster disk access and also trunking of the FC cards too if possible. :geek:

Can XPEnology be used with FC cards to pass disk LUNs to ESXi host(s)? :?::?::?:

Hi, i have sane scenario, but for what i understood it's not enough to have driver, you need to add FC support into kernel, as far i know you have to compile SCST support and user-space part.

I'm starting a "project" ( i'm not a skilled programmer ) to try to add FC support to synology.

It could be great if we can build a package with kernel parts, user-space parts and web-management to manage WWN lun and so on.

Ahhh nuts!!! Well that's a rather large spanner thrown in the works.

I'm not a programmer at all so I can't help much from that point of view. I would only be able to test with what I have hardware wise (which isn't that much) but would love to get it all working if possible. 1Gb iSCSI sucks!!! lol

Hopefully someone will be able to assist you further and the eventually see if we can get it into the mainstream builds :smile:

I hope :grin: i think would be awesome if we could use Fibre Channel instead ISCSI or both to cover several systems.

Hopefully someone will be able to assist you further and the eventually see if we can get it into the mainstream builds :smile:

I hope :grin: i think would be awesome if we could use Fibre Channel instead ISCSI or both to cover several systems.

Have no idea how to add FC support for now.

Can you give me informations about what to add in order to get your FC adapter to works (beside the driver itself of course ^^)

What do you really need with FC ? Feature like FCoE ?

Can you give me informations about what to add in order to get your FC adapter to works (beside the driver itself of course ^^)

Hi Trantor, thank you for your interest.

Fibre Channel support are done via SCST http://scst.sourceforge.net/ it's a kernel extension who permit use of Fibre channel and FCoE, in my particular setup i need only Fibre Channel because i have two HBA ) Host Bus Adapter Qlogic QLA2340 2GB FC adapter, but you can use every FC-HBA is supported by linux.

In Synology there isn't any FC support, there is only Driver, and it's' not enough to server FC Target.

FC support it's similar to ISCSI support,but it's done via FC instead of IP, another difference it's in howto permit to read particular LUN from particolar host,this involve WWN that you can thing symilar to mac address, you setup a lun to be visible from particular host simply add WWN of the FCHBA present in the host, this is know like zoning a concept similar to Vlan but that involve WWN instead of port.

My "project" aim to build a complete synology package, but it's almot a dream because i don't know anything about web programming and so on, my knoweldge it's' limited to follow howto, compile module, compile user-space part and try to see if it works.

Basically you need to download SCST package, compile kernel to obtain a regular kernel file, modules and so on, make modules_install to setup all the things, after you can patch kernel and compile scst itself, copy modules and zImage into synology, and try to see if it works.

If you need more info, don't hesitate to write, also in PM

Hi Trantor, i'v build with success al the parts needed using braswell source (Linux-3.10.35) with bromolow config, but i suspect that we have to use vmlinux image and not only modules, as far i can see i can't use my vmlinuz image instead of zImage of xpenoboot, if you want to test i can write a short howto on how to setup environment and so on.

Nice work Aigor :smile:

Thank you :grin: but we ar far from to have something usable :sad:

I had to compile kernel,it's' not enough patch kernel and make modules, but my kernel can't boot into synology system because xpenology use a patched kernel from sancome and others users.

i need their help to start one test.

Nice work Aigor :smile:

Thank you :grin: but we ar far from to have something usable :sad:

I had to compile kernel,it's' not enough patch kernel and make modules, but my kernel can't boot into synology system because xpenology use a patched kernel from sancome and others users.

i need their help to start one test.

What settings do you need to be build/added to the kernel ?

What settings do you need to be build/added to the kernel ?

Hi trantor, it's not only settings problem, i have to patch kernel source before start compilation because scst subsystem itself need to have kernel patched, you have to start to compile patched kernel, compile modules, make modules_install, after you can compile scst subsystem.

Another problem is QLA Adapter, there are several type of them and SCST guys suggest download source from qlogic git and substitute them in kernel tree.

If all the things goes well we need to compile userspace part and start to configure it, user space part need to be "hacked" to respect synology layout.

I'm afraid that it's not possible to pack all the things in a synopack because it's mandatory to have kernel with patch applied.

Hope it Helps, i'm preparing a sort of howto to compile parts.

Getting a little excited here.......... hehehehehe

Yes, but to be sure i have to write all the steps, check if it works, write doc and pray someone who can help me with web-part, it's enough compile only scst and modules, bzImage from compiled kernel in dev-machine it's not needed

If you need me to help with some testing, I will setup an ftp server for you to send files and help out as much as I can. :smile:

Thank you very much bdazala, i already have all the stuff i need.

I'm ecountering some issue with qla compiled driver, I do not understand why qla2xxx module from original synology installation works, but the new one compiled by me in dev-machine not work.

If you want i can write HOWTO so you can try by yourself if you have.

For my needing i have one syno-test machine with qla installed and one VM with centos7 where i can compile modules.

• 7 months later...

Good News !

Xpenology Devs release source of their kernel, with this source i have been able to compile SCST subsystem, now i see QLA card on my test-system, next step, try to build LUN, export this LUN to an host and start some test to check stability and performance.

To start, you need two systems, one for compiling and other for testing, fisrt one can be virtual but it's' mandatory that the second one must be physical with qla card installed.

In the future i need someone who help me build a synology package to handle WWN and LUN in easily way, but it's' another project :grin:

I'm in writing HowTo in where i explain howto build SCST subsystem against Xpenology source kernel.