XPEnology Community

Failed Drive

sjw7

Hi all

I am running XPEnology with DSM 5.0 on an old HP Microserver running ESXi 5.1 using virtual disks rather than RDMs. I currently have three disks of 1.5TB each in the disk group but one keeps saying that its not initialized. It worked fine for months but this has happened a couple of times over the past few weeks. I have performed a repair and it all works fine again for a few days and then the disk group goes into a degraded state. It could well be that there is a problem with the physical disk that the vmdk is sat on but the ESXi host isn't reporting any errors with it.

I want to try deleting the disk and recreating it within ESXi but need to identify which one it is. I think I know but am reluctant to guess just in case. If this doesn't work I will get another disk for the unit.

Does anyone know of a way of identifying which VMDK a disk in XPenology is using? I have looked through the GUI but cannot see anything so I am hoping there is something at the command line level that will give me an ID to trace it with.

Many thanks in advance

Simon

Hi

Not yet. I am scouring the forums to see if I can find a command to list the disks to see if I can match them up with those in VMware. Failing that I will take a risk and delete the one I think is causing the problems. I have a backup of the content on another PC so its mainly just cost time and a bit of effort.

cheers

Simon

you have backup - it's very good :smile:

First go to: Main menu -> Storage Manager -> HDD/SSD and find disk number which was not initialized (not Volume number)

88efd2247f08.png

In this example - Disk 4.

Usually Disk3 in DSM is SCSI(0:0) in ESXi (VM settings), Disk4 is SCSI(0:1) and so on.

Go to ESXi, xpenology VM, Edit settings.

My fail Disk is 4 so it will be SCSI(0:1)

438742f5a47e.png

In Disk File you see [750] xpenology/xpenology_1.vmdk. [750] is Datastore Name.

Go to host configuration, Storage, mark Datastore name, click properties and you will find physical HDD name and serial number

9716ea31ecef.png