XPEnology Community

HELP disk numbers in DSM !!

philippeannet

Hi,

I'm using XPEnoboot witb VMWare Player to evaluate (DSM 5.2 5644 update 1), and everything works so far pretty well, but...

when adding new disks with SCSI passthrough, these all show up as "Disk 1" (disk number) in the Storage Manager, which is not really handy, as disk number is for example the only field shown while creating new volumes...

Currently have one disk as a 'normal' vmdk file (128gb) and 3 WD30EFRX in scsi passthrough..., all 4 showing as "Disk 1"

Any idea how to "fix" this ???

let me maybe rephrase the question above...:

can anyone confirm he has created a Virtual DSM 5.2 with a VMWare product (which one ?), with more than 1 disk, referencing physical disks (thus in 'passthrough' mode), and that each appears with distinct disk numbers in the DSM Storage Manager ??

let me maybe rephrase the question above...:

can anyone confirm he has created a Virtual DSM 5.2 with a VMWare product (which one ?), with more than 1 disk, referencing physical disks (thus in 'passthrough' mode), and that each appears with distinct disk numbers in the DSM Storage Manager ??

I've used both ESXi 5.5 and 6.0 (now on 6.0). Using SAS 9201-16i in passthrough with 10 disks at the moment and everything works fine. They are in the correct order and SMART works.

Here's my guide:

Hi,

thanks a lot for the feedback, I just installed ESXi, so I need some time to get used to it...

Are your disks viewed as SCSI disks inside the VM ?? I want to use WD30EFRX disks (SATA), and was wondering whether I have to use SATA disks at the VM level as well, or if it can be SCSI (as apparently recommended...) ?? My point is that until now (Fusion & Workstation), all disks appear as "VMWare Virtual S" drives.. (as model), and SMART doesn't work, obviously...

Regards,

Philippe

Hi,

thanks a lot for the feedback, I just installed ESXi, so I need some time to get used to it...

Are your disks viewed as SCSI disks inside the VM ?? I want to use WD30EFRX disks (SATA), and was wondering whether I have to use SATA disks at the VM level as well, or if it can be SCSI (as apparently recommended...) ?? My point is that until now (Fusion & Workstation), all disks appear as "VMWare Virtual S" drives.. (as model), and SMART doesn't work, obviously...

Regards,

Philippe

If you use passthrough you don't need to add any drives to your VM.. just the PCI adapter. SMART should just work.

If you want to virtualize the hard drives be sure to use SCSI. Adding rrmod=ata_piix as mentioned in the video will remove any IDE drives. So the boot image should be the only IDE hard drive assigned to the VM.

Now I'm starting to get it... passthrough is in fact not at disk but at adapter level... which is probably not a smart option with my onboard ICH8 SATA controller... But I've to check... it's an HP Z800 workstatin, I think there's also an LSI controller... it's just about seeing where the HDD bays (i.e. their backplane) are connected... I'd hate not being able to use the standard bays...

Many thanks anyway !! But that meanss no other product than Esxi can provide real HDD passthrough...

Regards

Philippe

Now I'm starting to get it... passthrough is in fact not at disk but at adapter level... which is probably not a smart option with my onboard ICH8 SATA controller... But I've to check... it's an HP Z800 workstatin, I think there's also an LSI controller... it's just about seeing where the HDD bays (i.e. their backplane) are connected... I'd hate not being able to use the standard bays...

Many thanks anyway !! But that meanss no other product than Esxi can provide real HDD passthrough...

Regards

Philippe

I would buy a separate controller (I use SAS 9201-16i). Don't know what you mean by "real HDD passthrough", but the closest you'll get is to passthough a pci device. If you want to use disks google "ESXi RDM".