XPEnology Community

Redpill - extension driver/modules request

pocopico

16 minutes ago, Orphée said:

For test purpose, I'm not sure you need SATA controler... DSM won't detect any disks, but at least you will have serial logs to analyse.

Edit : in the end, if your hardware is powerfull enough, you might consider running DSM under virtual environment running Proxmox.

Best way to bypass hardware compatibility issues.

I will think if I wanna dive in with all these sr232 stuff (btw if redpill didn't detect lan (or other) drivers that should be fixable somehow without rs232),

also I have checked manuals about installing DSM with the proxmox... that process is long.

and then I discovered the Unraid. much more friendly all round, logs is there from scratch, no any setup needs and it just works...

5 minutes ago, Ariloum said:

I will think if I wanna dive in with all these sr232 stuff (btw if redpill didn't detect lan (or other) drivers that should be fixable somehow without rs232),

also I have checked manuals about installing DSM with the proxmox... that process is long.

and then I discovered the Unraid. much more friendly all round, logs is there from scratch, no any setup needs and it just works...

The easiest way to use DSM, by very far, is to buy a Synology.

Of course unraid "just works as is" it is made for it.

2 minutes ago, Orphée said:

The easiest way to use DSM, by very far, is to buy a Synology.

Of course unraid "just works as is" it is made for it.

Yeah but synology hardware is outdated and low perfomance. and overpriced.

I'd buy their OS separately if there is option but none yet

Edited by Ariloum

1 hour ago, Ariloum said:

Yeah but synology hardware is outdated and low perfomance. and overpriced.

I'd buy their OS separately if there is option but none yet

I can't disagree, but this is their business model.

They sell their hardware because their software is by far the best of all considering the packages their give most of the time for free (if you have a real SN/MAC).

Edit : "overpriced" is not that true. you can't ignore the OS when you talk about Synology. You just can't only consider hardware price to say it is overpriced. When you buy a Synology, you buy the hardware AND the software. They do not work on software for free.

Synology photo / Surveillance Station / Hyper Backup / Active backup for business / Docker friendly interface / Cloud Sync / Download Station / CMS...

You MUST consider OS when you look Synology prices.

But we are off-topic...

Edited by Orphée

2 hours ago, Orphée said:

For test purpose, I'm not sure you need SATA controler... DSM won't detect any disks, but at least you will have serial logs to analyse.

Edit : in the end, if your hardware is powerfull enough, you might consider running DSM under virtual environment running Proxmox.

Best way to bypass hardware compatibility issues.

Just in case user doesn't have a serial port
The following 2 logs that occur in Junior state
Copy it to a specific space on the USB
I'm thinking of a way to reboot Tinycore linux again and see this log.

/var/log/linuxrc.syno.log
/var/log/messages

Also, I thought it would be good to use the tcrp-diag that pocopico made 8 months ago,
It failed because there was no method or guide on how to use it properly.

https://github.com/pocopico/rp-ext/tree/main/tcrp-diag

It would be good to create one in the form of a separate extension driver for the above-mentioned process,

or to supplement the script to the existing operating bundle driver.
However, none of the three most important USB partitions were mounted in junior.
If this part is resolved, it may be possible.

This script seems to have a solution.

It actually mounts the 3rd partition of the USB, creates the /tcrp directory and stores something.
Let's use this part to implement the logic to copy the log even if there is no NIC.

https://github.com/pocopico/rp-ext/blob/main/tcrp-diag/src/tcrp-diag.sh

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1

I have poor network performance using virtio NIC in Proxmox DS3622xs+ VM and virtio drivers from v9fs extension.

Tested with multiple cables on gigabit network, I get up to 200 Mbit/s (poor) with iperf3 when I upload to DSM and up to 700 Mbit/s (good) when I download from DSM. Testing, troubleshooting and google-ing I found out that checksum offload might be the culprit, but I cannot disable it for rx using ethtool:

ivan@synology:/$ sudo ethtool -K eth0 rx off
Password:
Cannot change rx-checksumming
Could not change any device features

rx-checksumming: on [fixed]
tx-checksumming: on
        tx-checksum-ipv4: off [fixed]
        tx-checksum-ip-generic: on
        tx-checksum-ipv6: off [fixed]
        tx-checksum-fcoe-crc: off [fixed]
        tx-checksum-sctp: off [fixed]

Is it possible to recompile virtio_net driver to enable changing of rx-checksumming? Or if not, is it possible to recompile it with rx-checksumming set to off?

• 3 months later...
On 8/25/2022 at 11:51 AM, Peter Suh said:

TCRP's ext already contains atlactic ext.

Are you sure the ext below in pocopico doesn't work?

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/PeterSuh-Q3/rp-ext/master/atlantic/rpext-index.json

I want to check the junior log. Is it possible?

(It may be possible only through another LAN card [i219] or VM that works as the second one)

And, it is necessary to check which ext is automatically added with the command below in TC Linux.

ls -l *load/c*/e*

I tried to setup another nas with the same card, I find the fresh installtion with a new 7.1.1 come with a atlantic.ko which size  is

" kaix-admin@kNAS:/tmp$ ls -l /lib/modules/atlantic.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 300579 Jun 20  2022 /lib/modules/atlantic.ko"

I'm sure I not plug the network card in and didn't build an extternal driver repo forr atlantic, I guess it may be come from with Synology to  support their own 10gb network card.

the Workaroud for me is to do rmmod first and then insmod with the ko file which in the pocopico's repo, and I have to another network card such like intel 210v in my motherboard.

So is there any way to replace the ko file in the pat to make it workable when do new installtion through this network card ?

Thanks

4 hours ago, kk xu said:

I tried to setup another nas with the same card, I find the fresh installtion with a new 7.1.1 come with a atlantic.ko which size  is

" kaix-admin@kNAS:/tmp$ ls -l /lib/modules/atlantic.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 300579 Jun 20  2022 /lib/modules/atlantic.ko"

I'm sure I not plug the network card in and didn't build an extternal driver repo forr atlantic, I guess it may be come from with Synology to  support their own 10gb network card.

the Workaroud for me is to do rmmod first and then insmod with the ko file which in the pocopico's repo, and I have to another network card such like intel 210v in my motherboard.

So is there any way to replace the ko file in the pat to make it workable when do new installtion through this network card ?

Thanks

This post is from August of last year and a lot has changed now.
Currently, I am using ARPL's integrated module pack developed by fabio in my M SHELL for TCRP.

Please check the new notice below.

Let's check the status of ARPL's atlantic.ko separately.

I checked the final driver version of the ARPL integrated module below.
You are using a file equal to the file size you reported.

https://github.com/fbelavenuto/arpl-modules/tree/main/broadwellnk-4.4.180

383257529_2023-03-019_29_59.thumb.png.a15cde297b273fa0e54d229caeffb2b3.png

Edited by Peter Suh

13 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

This post is from August of last year and a lot has changed now.
Currently, I am using ARPL's integrated module pack developed by fabio in my M SHELL for TCRP.

Please check the new notice below.

Let's check the status of ARPL's atlantic.ko separately.

I checked the final driver version of the ARPL integrated module below.
You are using a file equal to the file size you reported.

383257529_2023-03-019_29_59.thumb.png.a15cde297b273fa0e54d229caeffb2b3.png

hi Peter

I download from the link 

https://github.com/fbelavenuto/arpl-modules/raw/main/broadwellnk-4.4.180/atlantic.ko

the ko only include limited sub vender in the driver , I think that's why the other card with same chip can not work with this driver

image.png.506cbe7fef97ae1c99d10d06a3082156.png

the KO whch i installed manually has a wild whitelist look like as  below:  

image.thumb.png.f7998cb0a3204975eff5f3b1e2bef0bc.png

So my question is why even i manaully build with the certain ext drive repo but after reboot, the driver was repalced with the file has size  300579. it cause to the msi 10g lan card can not wotk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kk xu said:

hi Peter

I download from the link 

https://github.com/fbelavenuto/arpl-modules/raw/main/broadwellnk-4.4.180/atlantic.ko

the ko only include limited sub vender in the driver , I think that's why the other card with same chip can not work with this driver

So my question is why even i manaully build with the certain ext drive repo but after reboot, the driver was repalced with the file has size  300579. it cause to the msi 10g lan card can not wotk.

Even if you force-inject the pocopico module

M SHELL for TCRP overwrites the existing integrated module in the USB stick again at the time of DSM booting.

Why don't you ask fabio to improve atlantic.ko like pocopico by posting this issue directly in the ARPL topic section below?
fabio will probably fix it right away if there are no problems.

For reference, I checked all the module update dates for each ARPL platform.
Apollo Lake and Gemini Lake were updated two weeks ago and, like pocopico, contained 25 whitelists.
Looks like fabio only updated two platforms and forgot to update the rest.

121765546_2023-03-0212_56_48.png.79632b50e9d9b71f7f5aea0b80279aa5.png

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Thanks 1

On 3/2/2023 at 10:42 AM, kk xu said:

hi Peter

I download from the link 

Today, ARPL's fabio released v1.68 with 25 whitelists in the atlantic.ko file of all platforms, and my M SHELL for TCRP was also synchronized accordingly.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tcrp-modules

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, The Chief said:

It would be nice to have missing lvm modules. This old message refers to old DSM, but in DSM7 it's all the same, modules missing:

Hi @The Chief ,

Can you please explain the trigger for that need ? e.g pvmove etc

To my understanding some functions are included in DSM. For instance if i want to move a share to a different volume i perform that within DSM.