XPEnology Community

Redpill - extension driver/modules request

pocopico

4 hours ago, fafner said:

I created a docker container from https://registry.hub.docker.com/r/linuxkit/open-vm-tools/

Runs like I've never seen before. Ok, didn't test shut down / restart so far because I always use the Syno web interface for that. But snapshot w/quiescence works soo nice.

There is already compiled open-vmtools that works as expected 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2022 at 7:28 AM, rok1 said:

Is there any chance in getting the acpid driver to properly shut down VMs? If I build a vm, install qemu-guest-agent I get all features except the ability to shut them down via the gui. It's clickable, but the VM never soft shuts down. I've tried 918+, 3622+, DVA3221 ; doesn't work, and I can't remember if it's ever worked for any DSM 7.x builds. I install the redpill-acpid diver fom pocopico's ext repository without issue.

hi were you able to install qemu-guest-agent proxmox drivers on DSM?
can you tell me how to do it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ,

I install a Mellanox 10G nic on my build using platform 'ds3622xsp_42218' and the nic doesn't work in DSM,but  nic works in tinycore.

I add "mlx4_en.ko" to DSM kernal using 'insmod mlx4_en.ko' and 10G nic work .

Could you help adding "mlx4_en.ko" to 

1.rp-ext/mlx4_core/releases/ds3622xsp_42218.json

2.rp-ext/mlx4_core/releases/mlx4_core-4.4.180plus-broadwellnk.tgz

• 1 month later...
Hello,
requesting network adapter Realtek 8125B NIC driver for AMD Ryzen processor DSM builds,
I tried to use r8125 and it didn't worked sadly.

The extension driver has nothing to do with the type of CPU. In the case of amd, the number of cores more than necessary may be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Peter Suh said:

The extension driver has nothing to do with the type of CPU. In the case of amd, the number of cores more than necessary may be a problem.

Interesting, I just checked - all AMD models of Synology got only 2/4 cores CPU.

But my CPU got 6 cores (Ryzen 5 5600G), should I try setup loader for something like RS3621RPxs/RS3617xs with my Ryzen? These systems are 6 cores too, but it's Intel-based on Xeons.

Interesting, I just checked - all AMD models of Synology got only 2/4 cores CPU.
But my CPU got 6 cores (Ryzen 5 5600G), should I try setup loader for something like RS3621RPxs/RS3617xs with my Ryzen? These systems are 6 cores too, but it's Intel-based on Xeons.

It doesn't matter if the model you built is not DS918+ or DS920+. And considering the number of HT cores, it cannot exceed 8.

It seems that the cause of the IP not showing is somewhere else.

15 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

It doesn't matter if the model you built is not DS918+ or DS920+. And considering the number of HT cores, it cannot exceed 8.

It seems that the cause of the IP not showing is somewhere else.

I thought the problem is with the network adapter drivers since I tried to apply r8125 instead of r8125B.

anyway my progress with the installing DSM is stucked on the "Starting kernel with USB boot" and I can't find other obvious explanation.

5 hours ago, rojoone2 said:

Look here in the "Basic Troubleshooting" section:

I tried that manual already, the problem is the loader is stuck/freeze after installation just before synology assistant

It just falls into endless "Starting kernel with USB boot" after step 8

looks like it's unresolving issue since there is no even simple log which I can read and check for errors...

anyway I switched to Unraid and it works fine for my needs.

nonetheless I could do some more tests to help others with similar problem on the hardware like I got (semi-modern Ryzen cpu)

if some1 knows what to do and wanna push that issue write in this post:

Edited by Ariloum

13 hours ago, Ariloum said:

what is the path to the log file?

If you don't have a genuine DB9 serial port on your baremetal DSM, you will need this :

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00GT65XME/ (this one is tested by me and known to work)

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00QM8ZPZ4/ (take care this is not a normal cable, but a : null modem)

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B0753HBT12/ (this one tested by me too. Take care to buy a real Prolific PL2303 chipset and not a china clone, it won't work)

Once installed, and plugged to a remote computer.

You will need to correctly configure the USB to serial COM port on the remote computer

image.png.15e6be039d57cc74252442e24a945e45.png

then with putty or kitty, chose the matching COM port (here COM1 for me) :

image.png

image.png

Of course it means you have access to a free PCI-E slot available on the hardware you want to run baremetal DSM.

Edited by Orphée

On 11/16/2022 at 11:39 AM, Orphée said:

If you don't have a genuine DB9 serial port on your baremetal DSM, you will need this :

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00GT65XME/ (this one is tested by me and known to work)

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00QM8ZPZ4/ (take care this is not a normal cable, but a : null modem)

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B0753HBT12/ (this one tested by me too. Take care to buy a real Prolific PL2303 chipset and not a china clone, it won't work)

Once installed, and plugged to a remote computer.

You will need to correctly configure the USB to serial COM port on the remote computer

Of course it means you have access to a free PCI-E slot available on the hardware you want to run baremetal DSM.

Thanks for detailed presentation.

Last time I have used serial ports was in early 199x (to connect 2 pc's), did you mean there is no yet stub/wrapper for that redpill's serial interface so it could be reachable via usual tcp/ip and ssh-like consoles and there is no other simpler way to access logs?

I do not have COM-ports on my itx motherboard and the only PCI slot it has is busy by the SATA controller.

There is exists usb to rs232 adapters but I think it's kinda weird to use these in 2022 and I'm not sure redpill will gonna working well with them...

4 minutes ago, Ariloum said:

Thanks for detailed presentation.

Last time I have used serial ports was in early 199x (to connect 2 pc's), did you mean there is no yet stub/wrapper for that redpill's serial interface so it could be reachable via usual tcp/ip and ssh-like consoles and there is no other simpler way to access logs?

I do not have COM-ports on my itx motherboard and the only PCI slot it has is busy by the SATA controller.

There is exists usb to rs232 adapters but I think it's kinda weird to use these in 2022 and I'm not sure redpill will gonna working well with them...

If you have a Kernel Panic, or if your network card is not detected at all, good luck trying to access it with tcp/ip & SSH.

This was the only solution for me on DVA3221 to detect the Kernel Panic on baremetal because of sata_dom not set to 2.

Then we were able to update github repo to fix this Kernel Panic on baremetal.

Your USB to serial adapter won't be detected at early boot stage. real COM port is the only known option.

Edited by Orphée

If you have a Kernel Panic, or if your network card is not detected at all, good luck trying to access it with tcp/ip & SSH.
This was the only solution for me on DVA3221 to detect the Kernel Panic on baremetal because of sata_dom not set to 2.
Then we were able to update github repo to fix this Kernel Panic on baremetal.
Your USB to serial adapter won't be detected at early boot stage. real COM port is the only known option.

Try using my m shell. already adjusted sadadom to 2

4 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

Try using my m shell. already adjusted sadadom to 2

Don't worry it has been fix in "official" repos 6 month ago already :)

It was just to explain the Serial port utility. It is actually mandatory to diagnose baremetal issues if no IP from DSM detected on network.

Edited by Orphée

17 minutes ago, Ariloum said:

For test purpose, I'm not sure you need SATA controler... DSM won't detect any disks, but at least you will have serial logs to analyse.

Edit : in the end, if your hardware is powerfull enough, you might consider running DSM under virtual environment running Proxmox.

Best way to bypass hardware compatibility issues.

Edited by Orphée