XPEnology Community

Redpill - extension driver/modules request

pocopico

Hehe, you don't want much, do you? 😃

I think AMS relies on a lot of hardware monitoring that isn't implemented in redpill yet, so it may be a bit early yet.

Also, it would be really helpful when requesting driver, etc. for others to prepare as extensions if you could provide links to source

Hehe, you don't want much, do you? [emoji2]

I think AMS relies on a lot of hardware monitoring that isn't implemented in redpill yet, so it may be a bit early yet.

Also, it would be really helpful when requesting driver, etc. for others to prepare as extensions if you could provide links to source

oh i didn’t know about that? but in jun loader it was implemented? on this forum people spreading ams.spk which have ams.ko file so i will get that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, ozef said:

Every drivers needed for HP Microserv GEN8 would be awesome :)

Everything but the NIC driver is included in the default build, and the tg3 NIC driver is already in pocopico's repo:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/master/tg3/rpext-index.json

I see that pocopico has issued PRs for some of their extensions but they're still waiting on @ThorGroup to merge them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the bare minimal is a set of drivers keep up-to-date for virtualization on qmeu for basic functioning and immediate update-proof.

Then the SAS / LSI driver for passthrough TI mode as most of us are running it for storage purpose.

My concerns is the ability to catch up with the update from DSM version if a huge database of drivers needs to be maintained.  Its not about feature, but security if we would like to use it in production environment.  It would be quite scary to have a production system running with old version known to have serious exploit.

21 hours ago, pocopico said:

I dont know which platform you are using , anyway i have update all platforms to latest, can you try again ? 

I tried the latest version,Still can't drive.

I created dsm7.0.1 in proxmox. The network card is Intel x540 SR-IOV passthrough.

I tried ixgbevf and ixgbe. Finally, the network was not found.

3 hours ago, sanyle said:

I tried the latest version,Still can't drive.

I created dsm7.0.1 in proxmox. The network card is Intel x540 SR-IOV passthrough.

I tried ixgbevf and ixgbe. Finally, the network was not found.

Did you copy the ixge into the vm and could'nt load it ?

Well FYI,

I’ve figured out why some compiled modules when compiled get that big. E.g ixgbe 11MB or igb 8MB. 

CONFIG_SLUB_DEBUG

CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO

are enabled on some of the syno released kernel sources and tool chain. When disabled the ixgbe size gets down to 400k vs 11MB 

This actually means the current free space on partition 1 on the default boot_image_template should be enough.

I will need to recompile and test again some extensions. This needs some extra effort, any help is welcome so PM me if available.

On 10/10/2021 at 4:36 PM, pocopico said:

Hi all,

it looks that extensions are somehow stable and we can safely assume that they will not change too much.

So let’s gather a list of essential drivers/modules or whatever to be created 

Thank you, post here to keep repill's topic clean.

As mcdull said below, is it possible that make a tool(docker) to compile .ko from driver source code and syno kernel code automatically?

For example:     ./make-driver.sh ds918p_42218 aacraid

Just need to keep the tools alive, and don't need to update .ko for every syno kernel update.

On 10/14/2021 at 10:03 AM, mcdull said:

I think the bare minimal is a set of drivers keep up-to-date for virtualization on qmeu for basic functioning and immediate update-proof.

Then the SAS / LSI driver for passthrough TI mode as most of us are running it for storage purpose.

My concerns is the ability to catch up with the update from DSM version if a huge database of drivers needs to be maintained.  Its not about feature, but security if we would like to use it in production environment.  It would be quite scary to have a production system running with old version known to have serious exploit.

We had this idea also. Actually I’m using a mix of @haydibe toolchain and a local folder.

The main issue with the extensions is the testing more than the compilation. 

The 918 extensions need to be built with the syno toolkit and the tool chain for the modules to load correctly during the boot process otherwise the modules fail to load with “Unknown rela relocation: 4” message and you enter an install loop. 

On top of that, the modules that fail to load during boot, load without any issue when I tested manually to load and unload on another system using insmod/rmmod 

Some module sources outside the kernel tree, need manual patching to compile on different and very old kernel versions the syno uses. Most of the modules and extensions released on my repo were compiled against either vanilla kernel or syno kernel. 

i would like someone that has more experience on modules like @IG-88 to jump in at some point. 

Also we need to wait for beta release as something with the extensions might change in the near future.

Edited by pocopico

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Hackaro said:

@pocopico

I need a driver for a Realtek 8125 2,5gb ETH and I've noticed you have added... but ... sorry for the noob question... I don't know how to add the compiled module to the Apollolake build, could you be so kind to show how to do it? Thanks!  

Depends on the process you use to create the loader. Do you use rphelper ? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pocopico said:

Depends on the process you use to create the loader. Do you use rphelper ? 

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the rphelper, v 0.12 downloaded here somewhere in the forum. Basically I followed this video and I was able to have a working test machine under VW Fusion on MacOS BigSur. I built the .img file under another vm with Ubuntu installed on it. 

1 hour ago, Hackaro said:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the rphelper, v 0.12 downloaded here somewhere in the forum. Basically I followed this video and I was able to have a working test machine under VW Fusion on MacOS BigSur. I built the .img file under another vm with Ubuntu installed on it. 

rp-helper can be downloaded from here

Inside rphelper , a very nice README.md file exists, where you have all the instructions. 

Briefly, before creating the loader you have to add the extensions. E.g.

./rp-helper.sh ext apollolake-7.0.1-42218 add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/master/r8125/rpext-index.json

Then as usuall ./rp-helper.sh auto apollolake-7.0.1-42218 

Edited by pocopico
  • Like 2

Thanks for the reply, @pocopico. My primary intention is to go with bare metal machine, with the hardware you can see in my signature. Indeed I will make some tests before upgrading my RAID disks!

Now, after creating the .img file, I've installed it onto an USB stick with this command:

sudo dd if=redpill-DS918+_7.0.1-42218_b1637771683.img of=/dev/sdb

where /sdb is my USB stick's dos partition. 

In this way I should create a bootable USB stick, shouldn't I?

Second question: at the moment I've used the simplest apollo lake_user_config.json possible for testing under VMware: 

{
  "extra_cmdline": {
    "vid": "0x46f4",
    "pid": "0x0001",
    "sn": "xxxxxxxxx",
    "mac1": "xxxxxxxxxx"
  },
  "synoinfo": {},
  "ramdisk_copy": {}
}

for having the full functionalities of a 918+ from an hardware point of view, should I add something? You already taught me to add compiled drivers for my network card, do I need something else? At moment my xpeno_918 gives me 16 SATA ports (even if I really have only 8 on the mobo) and 2 cache NVMe drives. Do I need to modify the config.json to add something else which is present in my real machine? 

Thanks!