XPEnology Community

WORKING method to change serial number and mac

Stargate

I'm new to xpenology. I've just set my old netbook with Nanoboot and Dsm 5.0.4493. It works fine, but WOL doesn't work. Apparently I need a valid mac and serial number. I'm not really interested in quickconnect and such, but if I manage to make it work I could enable or disable it at will.

So I'd like to know a working method. I've seen some but they are either outdated or confusing for me.

My netbook specs are: cpu atom n270 (32 bits), 2gb ram.

Thank you.

RAM might not be enough. With only a few services (Transmission, SickRage, Plex), on standby, I have around 1.2-1.5GB RAM usage.

To change the serial number, just pop your USB drive into another computer, and edit the syslinux.cfg. To generate a valid serial and MAC, use one of the available russian excel files (I don't have the link and would rather not reupload, but they are available on this very forum, in the Russian section).

To change the MAC address, you have to first look up what type of LAN controller that netbook has. Mine has an Intel controller, and such I used the Intel EEUpdate tool to change the MAC address.